Truck puked coolant for the first time..... - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-20-2012, 01:38 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Truck puked coolant for the first time.....

Need a little help/advice here guys.....

I was coming home from MI on I-75 the other day and the I hit a pretty good size hill near the KY/TN line. The truck got a little hot going up the hill and started puking coolant out the degas tank. The max temp on the DashDaq was 226-227 and the warning goes off at 225 (I was watching the temps like a hawk). Is was only above the 225 for 60 seconds or so and the engine fan kicked on right away. As soon as I let off the throttle the temps dropped pretty quickly and went back to their normal levels. I still had 4 hours of driving to do and the rest of the trip went fine and all the temps stayed where they normally do going through the hills of north GA.

Here are the details on the truck and my normal running temps,

2008 F350 auto, 4.10 gears and 75,000 miles
Spartan 210 towing tune
DOC & DPF Delete
S&B Intake
Pulling a 48' enclosed trailer that weights 15,150 lbs (I ran it across the scales)

EOT - 200-210
ECT - 200-205
Trans Temp - 175-180

My question is did I hurt something or did the truck get a little too hot and tossed it's cookies until I let off?? The coolant level before this happen was just above the rubber hose on the side of the tank and that's where it's been since about a month after I bought it. As it sits today the tank is almost empty. I had the radiator flushed back in March and it’s still the original radiator.

Any help and/or advice would be greatly appreciated and if needed I’ll put it all back to stock and take it in for a check-up

Thanks,
Gerry

PS. I normally run the 250 tune when I'm not towing and it's never done this in the 3+ yrs on the 250 tune. It didn't even do it last yr when I raced it for the first time.

Last edited by Gerry; 06-20-2012 at 04:12 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-20-2012, 02:33 PM

Your temps look good. I dont believe it got too hot especially if it cooled down right away after the engine fan went on. A couple things to do might be too replace the degas bottle cap. It could not be holding the pressure. Also where is the coolant level at in the degas bottle? If its a little to full it could puke it out.
Old 06-20-2012, 03:07 PM

This is where i keep my coolant level.
Attached Thumbnails
Truck puked coolant for the first time.....-100media-imag0028.jpg  
Old 06-20-2012, 03:30 PM

My lines are opposite then yours my plug is at the top and hose to the bottom. I've heard of guys switching them so they can see if there coolant filter is plugged but I also heard you don't want to let coolant go below that line so air doesn't get in. Or was that for the old style egr valve. Please fill me in on this
Old 06-20-2012, 04:15 PM

I agree, my temps look good across the board and with the 4 hrs of driving after it got hot with all the temps staying in the normal range I think it's fine.

The coolant level is normally in the same place as hdfatboy posted and it's possible the degas tank was a little too full from when they did the flush in March. I'm gonna fill it back up and watch it for the next few days and what happens. I need the truck next month for another long pull to IL and if the truck needs a visit to the dealer it has to be soon because it seems they needs 2-3 weeks to do anything on a diesel .
Old 06-20-2012, 07:00 PM

My truck puked for the first time shortly after coolant flush I got paranoid and did egr cooler puked again I topped it up and has been fine since I'm guessing it's air in the system my temps are the same as yours max 5. Degrees apart but everyone jumps and says head gaskets. I think it was just air
Old 06-20-2012, 08:34 PM

Spoke to soon!!! I've been doing shorter trips it's been fine now hit the highway tonight pulled over to check coolant right at the top and coming out cap. Stayed this height for the next hour got to destination and still stayed there at the very top and still leaking. The second I shut the truck off it drains down to the lower return line in 30 seconds with air coming out of the return line. Once it gets to that line it stops. I'm so confused no white smoke no coolant in oil...dealer think hyper extended thermostats but my temps are perfect and stay the same. Sorry for hijacking but think we may have the same problem I'm getting so frustrated in going to have to take it in when I get home I'm dreaded the cost!
Old 06-21-2012, 05:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by srjd View Post
My lines are opposite then yours my plug is at the top and hose to the bottom. I've heard of guys switching them so they can see if there coolant filter is plugged but I also heard you don't want to let coolant go below that line so air doesn't get in. Or was that for the old style egr valve. Please fill me in on this
I put the hose at the top so i know if the coolant filter is plugged. I am not sure about air getting in tho. It would be nice to know about that.
Old 06-21-2012, 05:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 04hdfatboy View Post
I put the hose at the top so i know if the coolant filter is plugged. I am not sure about air getting in tho. It would be nice to know about that.
How would that line at the top let you know that the coolant filter is plugged? Won't that line continue to circulate even if the filter is plugged because the filter just tees into it?
Old 06-21-2012, 11:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by superduty6.4 View Post
How would that line at the top let you know that the coolant filter is plugged? Won't that line continue to circulate even if the filter is plugged because the filter just tees into it?
When my filter was plugged nothing was coming out of that line. Also i just touch the coolant filter itself. Usually its very hot so i know the coolant filter is still flowing coolant. Does anyone know if it matters if that hose is on the top or bottom fitting?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.