another high EOT thread. Need insight - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-13-2012, 12:24 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
another high EOT thread. Need insight

Well first post and unfortunately not super positive. Been having high EOT on my 2008 450 when driving unloaded. I'm in phoenix so it's been hot (well over 105) lately but I don't think the heat with the tune I'm running is acceptable.

So here's the deal, have a blackmax to monitor my temps. Running the non-HD tune at any level I'm able to hit upper 220's in EOT. ECT is not far behind at around 212. Truck has only 28k on it but considering were getting to that 5 year mark, I'm wondering if my coolant which I 'm sure is stock is worn out. I'm going to start with changing the coolant but I'm wondering if I'm putting to much faith in that fixing my issue and maybe I need to look deeper to the oil cooler?

Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.

thanks
KEn
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-13-2012, 02:17 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by bondkx01 View Post
Well first post and unfortunately not super positive. Been having high EOT on my 2008 450 when driving unloaded. I'm in phoenix so it's been hot (well over 105) lately but I don't think the heat with the tune I'm running is acceptable.

So here's the deal, have a blackmax to monitor my temps. Running the non-HD tune at any level I'm able to hit upper 220's in EOT. ECT is not far behind at around 212. Truck has only 28k on it but considering were getting to that 5 year mark, I'm wondering if my coolant which I 'm sure is stock is worn out. I'm going to start with changing the coolant but I'm wondering if I'm putting to much faith in that fixing my issue and maybe I need to look deeper to the oil cooler?

Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.

thanks
KEn
Well typically the eot & ect should be between 4 and 6 degrees apart so even at 8 that is not unseen. possibly your rad is plugged from driving in dusty conditions or something simple like that. If not you could do a coolant flush & see if that helps the situation. How hard is the truck working when you are seeing these temps?
Old 06-13-2012, 02:20 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by superduty6.4 View Post
Well typically the eot & ect should be between 4 and 6 degrees apart so even at 8 that is not unseen. possibly your rad is plugged from driving in dusty conditions or something simple like that. If not you could do a coolant flush & see if that helps the situation. How hard is the truck working when you are seeing these temps?
Not working very hard at all. When I've hit these temps, I've been unload but it has been well over 100 degree outside temps and box on a mild setting. I just recently started monitoring the ECT and EOT since we started getting the heat and I noticed my fan kicking in sometimes. Going to change the coolant this weekend and see if it changes.

thanks!
Ken
Old 06-13-2012, 02:27 PM

Quote:
Not working very hard at all. When I've hit these temps, I've been unload but it has been well over 100 degree outside temps and box on a mild setting. I just recently started monitoring the ECT and EOT since we started getting the heat and I noticed my fan kicking in sometimes. Going to change the coolant this weekend and see if it changes.

thanks!
Ken
No problem.

I believe the fan kicks in @ ect 220deg. What year is the truck?
Old 06-13-2012, 02:32 PM

What is your ECT and EOT when just running empty at about 65? I would also change the coolant (possibly a CAT EC-1 coolant) and possible add a coolant filter.
Old 06-13-2012, 04:21 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by superduty6.4 View Post
No problem.

I believe the fan kicks in @ ect 220deg. What year is the truck?
It's a 2008.

You're right on the temp the fan kicks in. It's amazing how fast it cools it down once comes on.
Old 06-13-2012, 04:23 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by 04hdfatboy View Post
What is your ECT and EOT when just running empty at about 65? I would also change the coolant (possibly a CAT EC-1 coolant) and possible add a coolant filter.
I'll have to monitor and get back on this one. For sure going to change the coolant to the EC-1. Wondering if I should change the thermostats during the flush for good measure.

thanks
Ken
Old 06-13-2012, 06:48 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by 04hdfatboy View Post
Looks like fairly consistent at 65-70mph my temps were 206 ECT and 218 EOT. I don't think that's good.
Old 06-13-2012, 08:14 PM

Quote:
Looks like fairly consistent at 65-70mph my temps were 206 ECT and 218 EOT. I don't think that's good.
Looks like you may be having the start of an oil cooler issue. Probably a good thing you have guages & caught this issue whatever it is. I however don't think you will get any code of check engine light until the delta is about 15 degrees or that is what I think I read awhile ago.
Old 06-14-2012, 05:32 AM

Quote:
Yea it sound like your cooler is clogging up. It might be worth doing a chemical flush. Its possible it might get better but it could also get worse. Either way its a good idea to do a flush and change to cat rated coolant so you dont clog the new oil cooler. I also highly recommend a coolant filter.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.