Need Help Identifying a part - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-03-2012, 07:57 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Need Help Identifying a part

good morning everyone I am new to this site but I have owned fords all my life of 50 years. Normally for me they have been bulletproof a great value and faithful tool. But recently I have begun to have issues with a 2008 F350 w the 6.4. One day after moving a machine I realized the truck was running hot. upon inspection I was lacking fluid in the tank and later ended up adding 3 gallons of water to bring it up to the cold fill line. that said since I have a 200k warranty I decide to take it to the dealership where I bought it since I could not see any water at all coming from anywhere and since 3gal didn't just evaporate...fast forward their diagnosis was the upper and lower radiator hoses were leaking and needed to be replaced plus the radiator needed to be flushed and it would of course need 3 gal of coolant and water their price $700. I about fell over but said thank you very much and took the truck home well today I got around to looking at it and have determined that the upper hose is NOT what is leaking there is a threaded fitting just above the elbow of the upper hose with a hose/pipe coming from it that is dripping onto the hose. The dimwit tech at ford had I let them would have done all of the above I would have still had a leak, anyway my question is what is that fitting just above the elbow of the upper hose
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-03-2012, 11:05 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golden Gate View Post
good morning everyone I am new to this site but I have owned fords all my life of 50 years. Normally for me they have been bulletproof a great value and faithful tool. But recently I have begun to have issues with a 2008 F350 w the 6.4. One day after moving a machine I realized the truck was running hot. upon inspection I was lacking fluid in the tank and later ended up adding 3 gallons of water to bring it up to the cold fill line. that said since I have a 200k warranty I decide to take it to the dealership where I bought it since I could not see any water at all coming from anywhere and since 3gal didn't just evaporate...fast forward their diagnosis was the upper and lower radiator hoses were leaking and needed to be replaced plus the radiator needed to be flushed and it would of course need 3 gal of coolant and water their price $700. I about fell over but said thank you very much and took the truck home well today I got around to looking at it and have determined that the upper hose is NOT what is leaking there is a threaded fitting just above the elbow of the upper hose with a hose/pipe coming from it that is dripping onto the hose. The dimwit tech at ford had I let them would have done all of the above I would have still had a leak, anyway my question is what is that fitting just above the elbow of the upper hose
Is it something to do with the EGR cooler? I looked at mine but I am not sure exactly where you are talking about
Old 06-03-2012, 11:19 AM

I'll look at mine when I get home.

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app
Old 06-03-2012, 02:00 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

the brass looking thing in the pic (I hoped I posted right) is what is leaking it even has a drip of coolant on it if you look. I can't believe I got this pic, someone please tell me what it is I see and 2 please tell me it is covered under warrenty because it don't look like fun to fix since my lift won't handle an 11,000 lb truck so I would be on my back at best
Attached Thumbnails
Need Help Identifying a part-june-3rd-018.jpg  
Old 06-04-2012, 01:21 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Nevermind fellas it is the upper hose, the bolt in the picture is just a bolt and thge problem is above that in the upper hose
Old 06-04-2012, 02:43 PM
Powerstroke.org Sponsor

Just go get a new O-Ring for the upper rad hose and swap it out. Lube it with some coolant and be careful not to nick it upon re installation. Ford part cost around 7 bucks if memory serves me correct and that's the part that dries up and fails over time. Be sure to remove the clip first to remove the hose, just put the clip back on the hose and the slip it back over the thermostat housing and you should hear a click when its fully seated. Just refill and burp the cooling system when done and you should be good to go. Very common issue on the 6.4 but a cheap and easy fix.
Old 06-04-2012, 04:13 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric@PTP View Post
Just go get a new O-Ring for the upper rad hose and swap it out. Lube it with some coolant and be careful not to nick it upon re installation. Ford part cost around 7 bucks if memory serves me correct and that's the part that dries up and fails over time. Be sure to remove the clip first to remove the hose, just put the clip back on the hose and the slip it back over the thermostat housing and you should hear a click when its fully seated. Just refill and burp the cooling system when done and you should be good to go. Very common issue on the 6.4 but a cheap and easy fix.
You know what I will do just that. I was going to spend a $100 bucks on the upper and lower and the two O rings but I think I'll just try the o ring truck only has 61k on it and the hoses look new but I'm going to do a flush I know I need 3 gal of straight coolant + water but whats the best way to flush the system the coolant is kinda cruddy..Recommendations on coolant anyone?
Old 06-05-2012, 06:13 AM

I used the peak final charge elc coolant. Also you will need 4 gallons of coolant. It will take about 3 1/2 to get the proper 50/50 ratio.
Attached Thumbnails
Need Help Identifying a part-2011-10-12_16.10.33.jpg  
Old 06-05-2012, 06:14 AM

Oh and also when i flushed my system i used VC9 and a lot of distilled water.
Old 06-05-2012, 06:27 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

You mean 3.5 to 4 of 50/50 or 3 to 4 of 100%? what about air, I hear nightmares about air pockets
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.