Tapping noise to engine....then carnage... Questions - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-15-2012, 11:04 AM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Question Tapping noise to engine....then carnage... Questions

(Title should read tapping noise IN engine - common noise, much like that video posted a few posts down)

First off, 08 F-450 with heavy tow pack, 85k miles.

Purchased used in January with only 33k miles - so I've driven a lot in the past 4 months.

Oil changes every 7500-10k, depending on when I got back home.

2 days ago I'm towing a 10k load (9500lb trailer, maybe 500lbs of light cargo). I hear a more audible tapping noise, and lots of google searching brings up tons of posts of Ford saying it is 100% normal, TSBs saying don't fix it - its only a more audible sound because its a quieter diesel engine and the sound is masked on louder diesels people are more used to).

I check the oil level which is a tad low so I add a quart.

I drive from Vail CO to Prescott Valley, AZ - get 33 miles from my home, and then BOOM. Sounded like I blew a tire, but the sudden loss of engine power followed by white smoke made me know it was the motor having just popped.

16 quarts no longer where they are supposed to be.

No clue yet as I've only had time to get it towed home to the tune of $400.

(Why exactly am I paying monthly insurance premiums to AAA only to have them tell me that even it was the TRUCK ALONE, its not covered to be towed because it qualifies as a "commercial vehicle"...????)

Anyhow, I have been running an SCT tuner since purchase with the DPF/CAT delete pipe and using ONLY the stock tune with the DPF delete option selected.

Since I am out of the 5yr/60k powertrain warranty - do I even need to worry about reinstalling my stock exhaust parts and reflashing to stock before I have her towed to the dealership?

As far as I know so far, it was only oil - no radiator/coolant issue. No visible hole in the block that I can see, no missing turbos, nothing to the naked eye that can pinpoint why one second I have an engine, and the next second I have an oil spreader.

Last edited by CodyLX450; 05-18-2012 at 09:00 AM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-16-2012, 05:45 AM
Serving Our Country!

Your warranty is good to 100,000 miles.
Old 05-16-2012, 07:46 AM

Ugh. When I bought the truck this past January Ive read contradicting info on forums and various other sites that the truck either had a 5yr/60k powertrain - or 5yr/100k powertrain. I even called my local dealership to have them pull up the Oasis report and any other info and they told me its only a 60k powertrain.

I talked to one tech who told me its only 60k yesterday....so I mentioned I had my tuner and exhaust and he said that would make no difference to them as the warranty was expired.

After the tow truck left I was confirming payment for the tow with the dealership and the next tech there was saying I should have a 100k powertrain, but he seemed massively unknowledgeable as he kept saying I had a 6.0 engine and asking what the trucks GVWR was and "is it gas or diesel"...."how many doors?".

Ive only had the truck in for one service issue when my "power reduced" wrench came on and that turned out to be a stuck thermostat. That dealer in Montana said 60k powertrain.

Im feel like im going to explode now since the truck left in stock tune with DPF delete enabled, no cat, no DPF....just the straight pipe replacements. While i cant see a stock tune and straight exhaust having a relevance to an engine grenading or dumping all of its oil out.....It sounds like they wouldnt even care and just void my warranty if there are 15k miles left on it because I have those mods.

Can anyone confirm which warranty I actually have on a 2008 F450 Lariat?
Old 05-16-2012, 07:51 AM

Even my window sticker printout says:

3/36 bumper to bumper
5/60 powertrain
5/60 roadside assist
Old 05-16-2012, 08:01 AM
Premium Member

I think you should have a 5 yr/ 100k engine warranty

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app
Old 05-16-2012, 08:28 AM

Is there some difference between 250/350 and 450 warranties maybe?
Attached Thumbnails
Tapping noise to engine....then carnage...  Questions-truckwindowsticker.jpg  
Old 05-16-2012, 01:50 PM

Grrrrr.

So more research tells me that ALL 6.0 and 6.4 diesels have a 5yr/100k warranty.

Ford only lists the 5/60 on all superduty stickers as the BASE warranty, which relates to the base engine - the 5.4 gassers.

Anyhow I just got a call back from the tech - he said they found a rod through the oilpan and have to tear into it.

I explained that I really don't think a DPF delete can be even REMOTELY related to an internal engine issue, and he said they will have to tear it apart before they know how to proceed. I explained that HE was the one that told me I only had a 60k back in January when I bought the truck used, and if this was going to be an expensive fix that I would appreciate whatever help was needed to get it covered under warranty - and if it helped my cause at all - having the truck fixed and checked out and still eligible for an extended warranty would have me gladly spending more money at their dealership on that.

I should hear back today....nervous as hell. : /
Old 05-16-2012, 03:55 PM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by CodyLX450 View Post
Grrrrr.

So more research tells me that ALL 6.0 and 6.4 diesels have a 5yr/100k warranty.

Ford only lists the 5/60 on all superduty stickers as the BASE warranty, which relates to the base engine - the 5.4 gassers.

Anyhow I just got a call back from the tech - he said they found a rod through the oilpan and have to tear into it.

I explained that I really don't think a DPF delete can be even REMOTELY related to an internal engine issue, and he said they will have to tear it apart before they know how to proceed. I explained that HE was the one that told me I only had a 60k back in January when I bought the truck used, and if this was going to be an expensive fix that I would appreciate whatever help was needed to get it covered under warranty - and if it helped my cause at all - having the truck fixed and checked out and still eligible for an extended warranty would have me gladly spending more money at their dealership on that.

I should hear back today....nervous as hell. : /
I'd tow the truck home, return it to stock, and take it to a different dealer. Unless you personally know someone there DON'T TRUST THEM.

Good luck
Old 05-25-2012, 01:45 PM

What the ****?

So, of course my local dealership says they are scared to do the warranty work because it can be overturned later by Ford, and then the dealership gets charged for the repair out of their pocket.

The tech agrees with me that the tuner is NOT RELATED to the engine carnage as it is a STOCK TUNE with just the DPF delete option selected.

He just said they were SCARED that they would approve the work, and then Ford would come back later and chargeback the repair.

He told me to call Ford's customer service / Dispute number to try to push this, as they would be glad to fix it if they had approval from higher ups at Ford.

I call Ford's # today, and was told "We stand behind the dealership, and it shows they have declined the warranty repair."

I explain this whole scenario, that Dealer says go to Ford, Ford says go to Dealer as a catch 22.

I ask for if I need to go through the dispute resolution process, or what my options are.

She says "We do not have any dispute resolution procedure. We just go by what the dealer says".

I have to repeat to her where I am reading not only on Ford enthusiast forums that reference this "Dispute Resolution Board" - but warranty cases that made it into courts - where Ford's argument was "Well this customer did not use our DRB arbitration as we requested before taking this into court, so we want it dismissed"

Suddenly I get a "Well if you would like to go that route, I can mail you the forms to your address we have on file here" - as if they magically appeared. (WTF was that?!?!)

I call local dealer back to tell them about the Dealer - Ford - Dealer - Ford circle and ask if Ford says they will stand behind what the dealer says, can I just get you guys to fix it?

He tells me they have to push for this with their regional guy and can get ahold of him Tuesday and give me a call back.

So far I have:

- Dealer lied twice about the warranty available
- Dealer told me to bring it in with the tuner because warranty is expired
- Dealer tells me they can't authorize warranty work because I have a tuner
- Dealer says they can fix it but are worried Ford will deny payment later
- Ford CS says they go by what dealer says
- Ford CS tries to pretend they don't have a dispute resolution process

I get that the dealership is scared they'd be out of pocket and I don't expect any dealership to have to pay - but this is ridiculous.

I definitely have a feeling this will be going all the way to court and the Magnusson-Moss Warranty Act.

Old 05-30-2012, 03:41 PM

So far I've submitted complaints to

AZ Attorney General

MI Attorney General

Local Prescott, AZ BBB

Are there other agencies I can submit a complaint through for denied warranty coverage within time and mileage limits?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.