6.4 sounds like has a cam - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-03-2012, 10:56 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Send a message via Yahoo to upd103 Send a message via Skype™ to upd103
6.4 sounds like has a cam

Ok. So my truck sounds like it has an aftermarket performance cam. It lopes. It isn't drastic but it is noticeable. It sounds like its coming more from the passenger side but I can't really tell. It's a pretty quick lope but not rapid.

I'm not throwing any codes, no smoke, and no apparent loss of power or fuel mileage. Just sounds weird.

Am I looking at an injector problem or something? Any ideas?

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-03-2012, 11:38 AM

Take a video of it. Could be a slow injector, broken rocker, tuning, lifter... The list goes on, is there any popping?
Old 05-03-2012, 11:41 AM

No popping. Just the regular tick and the lope. I'll do a video tonight.

Ok. I tried to a video, and I guess the microphone really likes higher pitched noises. The tick sounds very loud and you can barely hear the lope. I will try to post in a minute if I can get it.

Last edited by upd103; 05-03-2012 at 11:53 AM.
Old 05-03-2012, 12:04 PM

See if it's coming from the airbox.

Typed with my thumbs from my Autoguide app.
Old 05-03-2012, 12:05 PM

A bent pushrod, collapsed lifter, or cam problem will cause a lope and will resonate through the intake.

Typed with my thumbs from my Autoguide app.
Old 05-03-2012, 12:16 PM

The ticking really isn't as loud as the video leads you to believe but it may be louder than most. Not sure. Good thing I have an extended warranty.

Old 06-08-2012, 01:18 AM

Just an update. I'm back in Afghanistan and the truck was put in the shop about May 2nd. Due to slow working policies with my aftermarket warranty company, the truck should be finished today and my wife will go to pick it up.

Shortly after posting, I noticed a good deal of oil leaking from the front crank seal or that area. I immediately drove it to the nearest dealership despite the fact that I was 2 hours from home with a loaded horse trailer. (Fortunately, I had access to another 3/4 truck to get home.)

Compression tests showed a drop of 2% in the number 2 cylinder and a 3% in the number 8 cylinder. The stealership said that I would probably need a new motor because of the "blow-by" in those two cylinders. I asked if broken or worn rockers could cause the increased pressure in the cylinders since less exhaust was allowed to be expelled. I also told them that I had heard of this problem in 6.4's. They assured me that there were no known problems and that it was unlikely that the rockers were the problem.

After authorizing the tear down (as per the warranty company's policy), I knew I was possibly in for a repair bill in the neighborhood of $2500-$3000 if it turned out to be something preventable. Ford dealership calls the wife one day and says, get this, the rockers were worn seriously on the number 2 and 8 cylinders.

About a week goes by while the warranty inspected goes to evaluate the situation and make a determination. Good news, they will pay for the majority of the bill. I am still paying about $1200 that covers a few gaskets, hoses, and labor for those items that Ford "suggested" that I go ahead and change out while they were in there.

I asked the dealership to save me a sample of the oil so I can have an OA done. I suspect that there will be some revealing numbers that will explain my problems.

Do y'all believe that doing a DPF delete will help eliminate, or at least reduce the probability of, this problem in the future? Even though my extended warranty is still good, I feel that it may be worth it to go ahead and do it.

Ideas?
Old 06-08-2012, 07:02 AM

yes, 6.0's have a similar rocker design and have no rocker problems.

regens and excessive idle seem to kill the pads on the exhaust rockers on the 6.4's

delete it and enjoy
Old 06-09-2012, 10:34 AM
Powerstroke Techie

Feedback Score: 4 reviews
the spools on 6.0 injectors dump oil into the upper valvetrain. This additional lubrication was not addressed on the 6.4 and coupled with lack of maint is likely why 6.4s wear out rockers prematurely
Old 06-09-2012, 08:32 PM

Well I obviously can't speak for the maintenance prior to me owning the vehicle, but I have been Johnny on the spot since I've owned it.

Thanks for all the information everyone. I'm in the market now for an H&S MiniMaxx, DPF delete, and EGR delete now.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.