Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

6.4 Runs perfect blows smoke

39K views 10 replies 8 participants last post by  dye60 
#1 ·
My 2008 6.4L is running fine except blowing white/blue smoke. I noticed it wanted to go into regen very sparatically. I parked it for about a week, took it to get diesel and it started pouring white smoke. I said screw it and deleted everything and installed a mini maxx. Still pouring white smoke. Any suggestions?

#2 ·
There's a long thread about this already. Mine does it alot, took it to the dealer and came to the conclusion that the turbo seal is leaking oil into the exhaust.

Sent from the mower shop

#7 · (Edited)
Mines at the dealership now for exactly the same thing. They said it was a cracked y tube. I think its tripping the passive regen mode which is why your getting the white smoke. The first couple of times mine did it I figured it was normal passive regen but when I started smelling fuel in the cab and my mileage went to about 6mpg I decided to take it in. I'll let you all know exactly what it was when I get it back next week.

Update: 12/29/12\

Got mine back last night. It had a bad crack in the passenger side y-pipe and a bad CAC, (Charge Air Cooler). There's a TSB 11-2-2 that addresses the CAC issue. Apparently the CAC problem is well known and gives the appearance that the system is going into Passive RGen if you've had the latest firmware update.

I guess I was sort of lucky in a sense. My Y-Pipe had cracked reducing boost and my EGT's were all working perfect so when the CAC dumped water into the turbo and compression/temps rose the EGT's saw it and dumped boost out and pumped fuel in to cool things down. That say's a heck of a lot for the active monitoring system on the 6.4L models. Saved my rear for sure. All my work was under the power train warranty and except for the two batteries I had them replace I walked away free of any charges.

I know some of you are running tuners on these motors and have removed the EGR's and DPF's. All that's cool if you're out of warranty and have the bank to pay for the repairs but if you're still under warranty, leave them stock and let Ford pay for your repairs.

#8 ·
To the OP, how many miles on your truck? If its going into regen speratickly, your dpf may be plugged. The truck senses this and makes it go into regen constantly, eventually building enough pressure and heat to melt/blow the seals out of the turbo. You deleted the dpf yes, but the turbo is proly already damaged.

#10 ·
My truck is doing all the similar things ;(
When my truck smokes its a bluish/whitish color and usually only lasts about 30 seconds to a minute.
There is also a strong burnt fuel smell when the truck is running and after a short trip to town. Are these issues something to worry about?

With the smoke.......How can I can tell if its a turbo seal, something else, or if its just normal?

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

#11 ·
I am not sure if I fall into this issue but I am smoking as well and no regen going on. I do have a little lost of power. Just a little bit. Mine is 08 stock. Currently out of warranty and had this to the dealer since 60k and they are unable to find an issue but boy the other folks sure get mad when I am smoking because it is so much.
What can I do about it now? Do I remove the EGR and DPF's? Get the Banks kit or what? Is there a lawsuit on this issue? Ford won't do anything about it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.