6.4 Runs perfect blows smoke - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-01-2012, 12:44 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
6.4 Runs perfect blows smoke

My 2008 6.4L is running fine except blowing white/blue smoke. I noticed it wanted to go into regen very sparatically. I parked it for about a week, took it to get diesel and it started pouring white smoke. I said screw it and deleted everything and installed a mini maxx. Still pouring white smoke. Any suggestions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-01-2012, 12:55 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
There's a long thread about this already. Mine does it alot, took it to the dealer and came to the conclusion that the turbo seal is leaking oil into the exhaust.

Sent from the mower shop
Old 05-01-2012, 01:07 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I read that one too, just couldn't find anyone saying there was running fine. Mines not overheating, no weird sounds, no loss of power. Is yours running like this?
Old 05-01-2012, 01:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMBF250 View Post
I read that one too, just couldn't find anyone saying there was running fine. Mines not overheating, no weird sounds, no loss of power. Is yours running like this?
Mine runs perfect. Most posts I have read about this say that there are no performance issues.

Sent from the mower shop
Old 09-16-2012, 09:05 AM

mine is doing the same thing no loss of power runs smooth but using oil and has blue smoke out the exhaust at idle or sitting at a stop sign.... do yall think its the turbo seal?
Old 11-11-2012, 05:00 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Does anyone have a link to the other tread about this issue?

Sent from my iPhone using Autoguide.com Free App
Old 12-21-2012, 08:35 PM

Mines at the dealership now for exactly the same thing. They said it was a cracked y tube. I think its tripping the passive regen mode which is why your getting the white smoke. The first couple of times mine did it I figured it was normal passive regen but when I started smelling fuel in the cab and my mileage went to about 6mpg I decided to take it in. I'll let you all know exactly what it was when I get it back next week.

Update: 12/29/12\

Got mine back last night. It had a bad crack in the passenger side y-pipe and a bad CAC, (Charge Air Cooler). There's a TSB 11-2-2 that addresses the CAC issue. Apparently the CAC problem is well known and gives the appearance that the system is going into Passive RGen if you've had the latest firmware update.

I guess I was sort of lucky in a sense. My Y-Pipe had cracked reducing boost and my EGT's were all working perfect so when the CAC dumped water into the turbo and compression/temps rose the EGT's saw it and dumped boost out and pumped fuel in to cool things down. That say's a heck of a lot for the active monitoring system on the 6.4L models. Saved my rear for sure. All my work was under the power train warranty and except for the two batteries I had them replace I walked away free of any charges.

I know some of you are running tuners on these motors and have removed the EGR's and DPF's. All that's cool if you're out of warranty and have the bank to pay for the repairs but if you're still under warranty, leave them stock and let Ford pay for your repairs.

Last edited by sschefer; 12-29-2012 at 08:04 AM. Reason: Updated
Old 01-04-2013, 11:04 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

To the OP, how many miles on your truck? If its going into regen speratickly, your dpf may be plugged. The truck senses this and makes it go into regen constantly, eventually building enough pressure and heat to melt/blow the seals out of the turbo. You deleted the dpf yes, but the turbo is proly already damaged.
Old 01-04-2013, 09:13 PM

Mine sometimes blows a very light white colored smoke at idle would that be a turbo seal? And how hard is that to do by yourself?
Also I am deleted

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com Free App
Old 01-26-2013, 08:59 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

6.4 Runs perfect blows smoke

My truck is doing all the similar things ;(
When my truck smokes its a bluish/whitish color and usually only lasts about 30 seconds to a minute.
There is also a strong burnt fuel smell when the truck is running and after a short trip to town. Are these issues something to worry about?

With the smoke.......How can I can tell if its a turbo seal, something else, or if its just normal?

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.