Engine quit and wont restart - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 04-24-2012, 12:30 PM
Member
 

Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Redding, CA
Posts: 69
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Engine quit and wont restart

sunday nite while towing my nephews chevy 1500 back from Reno I was climbing a moderate grade in the Sierras. Everything was smooth and fine.
The engine went into regen. A few seconds later the yellow engine icon came on. 2 seconds later a warning said to get off the road safely now. 2 seconds later the engine died. Managed to get into the only turnout in two miles.

After stopping the engine did not even attempt to start. Not even a solonoid click. I had it towed home. (10000 miles out of warenty) bought a code reader and drew codes P200E (cat system overtemp bank 1) and P242D (exhaust gas temp sensor circuit high- bank 1 sensor 3)

Still does not try to start. Battery is 13.6 V

Any ideas on where to start?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
  #2  
Old 04-25-2012, 09:53 AM
Compression Ignition Addict
 

Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Dallas, TX
Posts: 408
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by megawattmike View Post
sunday nite while towing my nephews chevy 1500 back from Reno I was climbing a moderate grade in the Sierras. Everything was smooth and fine.
The engine went into regen. A few seconds later the yellow engine icon came on. 2 seconds later a warning said to get off the road safely now. 2 seconds later the engine died. Managed to get into the only turnout in two miles.

After stopping the engine did not even attempt to start. Not even a solonoid click. I had it towed home. (10000 miles out of warenty) bought a code reader and drew codes P200E (cat system overtemp bank 1) and P242D (exhaust gas temp sensor circuit high- bank 1 sensor 3)

Still does not try to start. Battery is 13.6 V

Any ideas on where to start?
This is just a guess, but it sounds like a sensor may have gone bad, making the ECM think the exhaust (DPF or CAT) is plugged up and overheating and shutting down the engine to prevent serious damage. That could also explain why it went into regen. Or, maybe it is plugged up and overheating. Be sure to write down all the codes it displays so you can give them to your mechanic. Then you might try erasing the codes with your reader, if it has that function. Hopefully it will start after that. Good luck.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #3  
Old 04-25-2012, 04:11 PM
Member
 

Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Redding, CA
Posts: 69
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Thanks Wayne
I am trying to do this without spending a huge amount of money. What are my options. should I try changing this sensor (P242D (exhaust gas temp sensor circuit high- bank 1 sensor 3)
But without the engine even trying to run it is pretty difficult to analyze things. Is there a way to effect a reset at home? I did erase the codes and disconnected the battery to reset the computer but it makes no difference.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #4  
Old 04-25-2012, 05:54 PM
Member
 

Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Bedford Va.
Posts: 40
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
replace the last sensor on dpf
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #5  
Old 04-26-2012, 05:03 AM
Compression Ignition Addict
 

Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Dallas, TX
Posts: 408
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by megawattmike View Post
Thanks Wayne
I am trying to do this without spending a huge amount of money. What are my options. should I try changing this sensor (P242D (exhaust gas temp sensor circuit high- bank 1 sensor 3)
But without the engine even trying to run it is pretty difficult to analyze things. Is there a way to effect a reset at home? I did erase the codes and disconnected the battery to reset the computer but it makes no difference.
Okay, then chances are it is the sensor that has gone bad. I was having similar problems with my truck throwing P0652 and going into limp mode. Mine was the 5 volt Vref circuit that goes through nine different sensors so it was replace them one at a time until they found the bad one. I agree with eazymotorsports that it is the third sensor (between the DPF and the muffler). You might want to ask a professional just to verify, though. I've never changed one myself, but from what I've read from others, it doesn't sound that hard to do. Someone on here might have a picture of the sensor they could post. Also, I don't think the part is expensive. I'm not sure if it's a dealer item or not. Just check with whoever you normally get your parts from. Good luck. Let us know how it goes.

Last edited by cp2146; 04-26-2012 at 05:10 AM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #6  
Old 04-26-2012, 06:32 AM
Member
 

Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Redding, CA
Posts: 69
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Thanks again headed to the dealer to try to get that sensor. I also made a list of every fuse that might affect running and starting. Getting to know my truck better. I have worked on and operated large marine diesels for 30 years, but these black box electronics are a whole new world. Also access is insane with so many things requiring cab off.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #7  
Old 04-26-2012, 07:14 AM
Compression Ignition Addict
 

Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Dallas, TX
Posts: 408
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by megawattmike View Post
Thanks again headed to the dealer to try to get that sensor. I also made a list of every fuse that might affect running and starting. Getting to know my truck better. I have worked on and operated large marine diesels for 30 years, but these black box electronics are a whole new world. Also access is insane with so many things requiring cab off.
Amen to that, brother! I feel your pain.

I seriously doubt it's a fuse or circuit breaker causing the no-start issue. If the sensor is toast, then it's probably constantly sending the fault indication to the ECM, therefore not allowing the engine to start (still thinks it's in trouble). Luckily this wouldn't be a cab off repair, but I know what you mean. This sensor would be on the exhaust pipe just aft of the DPF...assuming it's the culprit.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #8  
Old 04-26-2012, 08:37 AM
Member
 

Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Redding, CA
Posts: 69
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Sensor is first on my list. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #9  
Old 04-27-2012, 06:04 AM
Member
 

Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Redding, CA
Posts: 69
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Well the sensor is changed. For two hours I fought getting the old one out. Was going to use heat on the fitting but Napa Parts guy showed me CRC Freeze Penetrating Solution. Took 6 applications but it worked. Also helped to cut cable and fitting off old sensor in order to use a good box wrench instead of open end. Truck is still not starting. Is there any way to reset at home or do I need to have a dealer reset computer for $170.00. ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #10  
Old 04-27-2012, 07:51 AM
Compression Ignition Addict
 

Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Dallas, TX
Posts: 408
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by megawattmike View Post
Well the sensor is changed. For two hours I fought getting the old one out. Was going to use heat on the fitting but Napa Parts guy showed me CRC Freeze Penetrating Solution. Took 6 applications but it worked. Also helped to cut cable and fitting off old sensor in order to use a good box wrench instead of open end. Truck is still not starting. Is there any way to reset at home or do I need to have a dealer reset computer for $170.00. ?
Well hmmm. I was almost sure the sensor would be the problem. Just goes to show how much I know...not. Sorry that didn't work for you. That being said, I don't know what else to try. As for reseting the computer, the only way I know to do it at home is disconnect the batteries (both + and - terminals) and wait about 30 minutes before reconnecting them. However, I'm not 100% sure that completely resets everything. I've always heard it did, but again, I'm not entirely sure. If that doesn't do it, you may have to take it in because obviously there is something else going on. I wish I knew what it was, but apparently I don't. Sorry I couldn't be more help. Maybe someone a little more knowledgeable can chime in here and help you out.

BTW, does the truck even crank?

Last edited by cp2146; 04-27-2012 at 08:27 AM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -8. The time now is 10:31 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.1
Garage Plus, Vendor Tools vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.

vB.Sponsors