Towing temps and issue with over 10k - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-03-2012, 04:26 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Towing temps and issue with over 10k

Ok I am sorry if this has been covered somewhere else but after two hours of reading through threads I have been unable to possibly come up with my situation. If my answer is found in another thread please send me that direction.

I have asked around trying to figure out just what the safe operating temps are for the 6.4l and I have gotten 3 different answers from 3 different dealerships. One told me I should not see over 202 ECT and 205 EOT and 190 Tranny, the other told me 220 for ECT and another told me excessive would be 245 ECT ( I think things would start to cook if it gets that high).

Here is my issue, I have a 34' toy hauler that weighs in at around 14k loaded, under hard acceleration I have seen temp in the 220 range going up a steep grade 2800 rpm, 20-30 psi boost, EGRT range 1000-1150. When you get back off it will drop back down to around 200-210 but once the next steep grade we are going to climb in temp. My idiot gauges never move past half way on the dash, which scares me in a way, but also makes me wonder if everything is ok, as if I didn't have gauges I would never know. If I am towing less than 8k I hardly ever get over 198 ECT, 180 Tranny, 201 EOT and this is what it is unloaded as a daily driver.

I have tested my towing with a stock tune, 75 hp, and 210 tow tune from Spartan, on the 210 it might vary about 2 degrees higher.

With all that stated I know that my fans are working because my truck will sounds like a prop plane under the pulling. The dealership that told me 200 was about the max told me the only way they would test my truck is too hook up to my toy hauler and let them test my truck, which I am honestly not a fan of letting them do, 60k truck hooked to a 70k toy hauler does not seem like a smart idea for them to go for a joy ride.(the only time I have an issue is with it hooked up and I don't want to be left on the side of the road moving it).

I guess a little background on the truck is that I service my truck at least every 5k-8k miles and fuel filters every 10-16k depending on how much heavy towing I am doing. I have also had the tranny serviced every 50k with the 100k service completed 12k miles ago. I am not puking any coolant or having to add any, oil still looks "normal" with no "extra" from raw fuel. The only issue I have every so often is I will get this white smoke when I shift to second or third, with a slight hesitation in power then it picks right back up. It is very intermittent and I can not make it do on command.

Thanks for any help you might be able to provide me with.

Henry
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-03-2012, 06:11 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

I also forgot to add, I keep my coolers clean by pressure washing them once a week. I work in the oil field so you can imagine what southwest Texas dust and grass can do. So I don't think it is an air issue either.
Old 04-11-2012, 05:29 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

77 views with no real input?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.