Uh Oh, P0087 code. - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-21-2012, 02:31 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Uh Oh, P0087 code.

Hello all, sorry my first post has to be a problem post. I have a 2008 F350 with a DPF/DOC delete and tunes by H&S with 112,000 miles. Went to pull out my drive today and the truck hesitated just a bit. I'm betting if it were someone new driving my truck, they wouldn't even notice it, that's how slight it was. Shortly there after I got the P0087 code. Went on here did a search and after reading the posts, didn't feel much better, but changed the filters to try to rectify the problem. After the filter change and clearing the code went out and ran it a a bit with no problems noted for about ten minutes, then it hesitated a bit with the code coming back. The truck starts, idles and runs fine with the exception of the slight hesitations. I'm REALLY hoping that the HPFP is not failing as I can't see putting that kind of money into a four year old truck if Ford won't warranty it (I have an extended warranty). I have a buddy who works at the dealership that I bought the truck from and says they are mod friendly and actually do EGR deletes there. I guess we'll see. I'll update when I get some answers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-21-2012, 06:40 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Just had mind replaced no mods thought an it was covered. How much do u think it will costs, I didn't get a chance to speak with the service manager when I picked it up, di
Figured I'd seen him enough in the last 6 months
Old 03-21-2012, 07:55 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I've read on here it could cost upwards of 10 grand. I don't know if I could justify spending that kind of money on a 4 year old truck. I could pick up a decent 2000 with a 7.3 for a few more bucks than that. I've owned three 7.3's and wouldn't hesitate for a second in going back to one. My credit sucks thanks to my ex wife so I would consider the option of calling Ford and telling them to come and get it in my driveway and not put another dime into it.
Old 03-22-2012, 06:17 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Talked to the service manager today on the phone to confirm my extended warranty coverage, told him about my issue, and he stated that if the hpfp is failing that replacing the entire fuel system isn't always necessary. He quoted me $2500.00 for the pump only replacement if my warranty is denied. I guess my next decision is whether to put my dpf / doc back on. I know one of the techs there, not diesel though, and I'm going to talk to him before taking the truck in.
Old 03-23-2012, 11:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 110Dave View Post
Hello all, sorry my first post has to be a problem post. I have a 2008 F350 with a DPF/DOC delete and tunes by H&S with 112,000 miles. Went to pull out my drive today and the truck hesitated just a bit. I'm betting if it were someone new driving my truck, they wouldn't even notice it, that's how slight it was. Shortly there after I got the P0087 code. Went on here did a search and after reading the posts, didn't feel much better, but changed the filters to try to rectify the problem. After the filter change and clearing the code went out and ran it a a bit with no problems noted for about ten minutes, then it hesitated a bit with the code coming back. The truck starts, idles and runs fine with the exception of the slight hesitations. I'm REALLY hoping that the HPFP is not failing as I can't see putting that kind of money into a four year old truck if Ford won't warranty it (I have an extended warranty). I have a buddy who works at the dealership that I bought the truck from and says they are mod friendly and actually do EGR deletes there. I guess we'll see. I'll update when I get some answers.
Sorry to hear about your troubles. As you know, the HPFP would have been covered under the 100K mile engine/powertrain warranty. Even though you are now out of the factory warranty and into the ext warranty, I would think it would still be covered, but that you might have to pay a deductible. I recently had some work done under my ext warranty and my deductible was $100.00. I don't remember what the total bill would have been had I paid it all, but it was most definitely more than $100.00.
Old 03-29-2012, 05:46 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
there is a tsb on that code. most likely caused by hpfp cover gasket shorting to ground to the hpfp. seen it many, many times and im a diesel tech at a ford dealership. just did one this week.
Old 04-05-2012, 11:51 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I'm having the exact problem, but without the hesitation. I will be driving down the road and notice the engine light. Is there a tsb # I can give to the dealer to help shorten the diagnostic time? My truck is at 86k. Would it be safe to assume this is covered under the 100k mile warranty?
Old 04-06-2012, 07:04 AM

If its not covered under the TSB and warranty, it seems like a good time get yourself a dragon fire or a modded HPFP, and make some power.
Old 04-08-2012, 06:02 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Well the truck goes in tomorrow afternoon after I re-install the dpf/doc and program back to stock. If they have to replace the entire fuel system and my warranty is denied I'll have some serious choices to make. Wish me luck!
Old 04-11-2012, 07:26 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Update: The dealership has determined that the hpfp is the issue. The Ford inspector wants the cab off to inspect the hpfp and to check the truck for mods before they'll authorize a warranty repair. So basically if they deny warranty coverage I'm gonna have to pay for the cab removal even if I don't want the hpfp replaced by them. If the warranty is denied I may park the truck for a few months and buy a beater truck until I save up enough to take it to good diesel shop and have studs, egr delete, down pipe, hpfp and clutch done. We'll see tomorrow afternoon.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.