Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

chirping or tapping from back of engine

14K views 16 replies 5 participants last post by  Johnsabine2003 
#1 ·
I have a 2008 6.4 power stoke that I purchased towards the and of January. I'll change the oral and filter, change the fuel filters, change the air filter, and draiNed the water separator every couple of tanks of fuel. Sunday I heard what I thought was a squeaky belt tensioner but it went away after I drive for a while. today it came back but after checking the engine it seems to be coming from the rear rather than the front of the engine. I'm supposed to leave tomorrow on a 500 mile tripe in this truck! any input is appreciated.

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app

#4 ·
If its coming from the back of the motor it could be a leaking up pipe. Check for soot on the firewall.

On a side note thats a good amount of miles. :thumb:

#7 ·
mechanic replace the belt tension or this morning put everything back on and it still makes the same noise. It really sounds like a squeaking belt tension or but it's coming from the backside of the motor. was supposed to leave this morning but haven't left yet. Really need some input on this

#8 ·
mechanic replace the belt tension or this morning put everything back on and it still makes the same noise. It really sounds like a squeaking belt tension or but it's coming from the backside of the motor. was supposed to leave this morning but haven't left yet. Really need some input on this

#13 ·
ok. chirping stopped, read the thread about the 6.4 tick, decided that's what it was and set out on the first 500 miles of my trip. truck performed flawlessly; till this morning. tick is back accompanied by a slight thumping that sounds like its resonating through the intake so I'm figuring it's the rocker arm tapping. figuring its a rocker arm or a lifter. damn again. anybody know a good diesel mechanic in augusta ga??

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.