bellowing white smoke and surging/citting out at idle - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-29-2012, 04:43 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
bellowing white smoke and surging/citting out at idle

i'm working on it is a 08 start it up and it is fine for a couple mins then begins to surge or cut out rpms jump up and down at the same time it starts blowing tons of white colored smoke thought it was egr cooler so dropped 500 and bought a cooler and installed itsame thing any ideas and way to test to be certin i cant aford to keep throwing parts

any input would help
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-29-2012, 04:47 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

also there is a code for 1 and 8 injector contrubution 1 was replaced by previous person working on truck still acts exactly the same
Old 02-29-2012, 09:28 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Take the Dip stick out while the truck is running and see if you are blowing any air/smoke out of the dipstick tube that should tell you weather or not you have a piston issue.
Old 03-12-2012, 09:46 PM
Premium Member

You could also take off your oil filler cap with engine running and see how much pressure is in there, should be none to very little.
Old 03-13-2012, 05:11 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

actually 6.4's are known to have more blow by than most.
Old 04-02-2012, 08:56 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jscho302 View Post
i'm working on it is a 08 start it up and it is fine for a couple mins then begins to surge or cut out rpms jump up and down at the same time it starts blowing tons of white colored smoke thought it was egr cooler so dropped 500 and bought a cooler and installed itsame thing any ideas and way to test to be certin i cant aford to keep throwing parts

any input would help
hey i had the same kind of problem started the truck let it warm up for a min and it started to act all stupid surging and pouring white smoke took it to ford (since i still have a warrenty) and 3 weeks later got my truck back with a new short block guess the egr cooler failed on the last guy that owned the truck 2 weeks before i bought it hope this helps
Old 04-16-2012, 08:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 04hdfatboy View Post
actually 6.4's are known to have more blow by than most.
Hey bud. Can you elaborate more on this for me? I just did my EGR delete this weekend and opened up the dip stick, and BAM white smoke coming out of the exhaust while idling. Should I be concerned? Truck runs/ran great after the delete, drove it hard (80+mph) after the delete for a little over 200 miles--engine-oil/coolant temps ran 210EOT/201ECT respectively. (not bad IMHO)

I googled it and found these threads; some say it's normal...others say it's bad o-rings and pistons. If i remember correctly, I NEVER saw any blowby when I would check. Would it have anything to do with the delete?

I'm runnig Rotella T6 and Lucas Synthetic additive (powerstroke specific...not the heavy crap)...would that be a problem?

I'm absolutely stumped here. Thanks in advance.
Old 04-16-2012, 08:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilsonw2 View Post
Hey bud. Can you elaborate more on this for me? I just did my EGR delete this weekend and opened up the dip stick, and BAM white smoke coming out of the exhaust while idling. Should I be concerned? Truck runs/ran great after the delete, drove it hard (80+mph) after the delete for a little over 200 miles--engine-oil/coolant temps ran 210EOT/201ECT respectively. (not bad IMHO)

I googled it and found these threads; some say it's normal...others say it's bad o-rings and pistons. If i remember correctly, I NEVER saw any blowby when I would check. Would it have anything to do with the delete?

I'm runnig Rotella T6 and Lucas Synthetic additive (powerstroke specific...not the heavy crap)...would that be a problem?

I'm absolutely stumped here. Thanks in advance.
Erick from PTP and others have said that 6.4's have more blow by even brand new. I personally wouldnt worry about it especially if the truck is running good. I also use T6 but i dont use the additive. I dont have white smoke coming out the exhaust tho. Does it use coolant? How long does the white smoke last?
Old 04-16-2012, 08:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 04hdfatboy View Post
Erick from PTP and others have said that 6.4's have more blow by even brand new. I personally wouldnt worry about it especially if the truck is running good. I also use T6 but i dont use the additive. I dont have white smoke coming out the exhaust tho. Does it use coolant? How long does the white smoke last?
No white smoke out the exhaust; truck running like a champ. I tend to be over-anal about my truck but because I've never seen this before, it worries me.

I installed the kit from PTP--great kit minus not including the new exhaust manifold bolts. FML. I didn't have any spacers, nor a second vehicle to go buy some, so I had to use 5 washers instead. Hope she holds!!!!

What kind of temps do you see out of your truck during the summer? I guess I should give Eric a call. He should know best...as always, thanks in advance.
Old 04-16-2012, 08:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilsonw2 View Post
No white smoke out the exhaust; truck running like a champ. I tend to be over-anal about my truck but because I've never seen this before, it worries me.

I installed the kit from PTP--great kit minus not including the new exhaust manifold bolts. FML. I didn't have any spacers, nor a second vehicle to go buy some, so I had to use 5 washers instead. Hope she holds!!!!

What kind of temps do you see out of your truck during the summer? I guess I should give Eric a call. He should know best...as always, thanks in advance.
I wouldnt worry about it. I dont think you will have any problems. My ECT runs about 192-195 and the oil temp about 2-4 degrees higher than that.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.