Stop Safety Now message - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-18-2012, 07:57 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Stop Safety Now message

Truck died on road. Message came Stop Safety Now. So I did and it died. I mean notta. No nothing. So I called Ford and Tow truck
Service guy said he's guy seen that once. Turn out to be a bad sensor. In the exhaust. $80 part and a lot of labor. Another reason I can't wait to get rid of that whole set up. Ford guy said I should of kept rolling and at least got home. As long as you stay rolling it will, but when u go below 10mph it dies. I mean no starter. Only hazards. so if this happens to u keep it going till you can safely stop. As soon as it gets back im going to teach myself how to rid it of that factory exhaust.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-18-2012, 08:00 AM
Super Moderator

Send a message via AIM to Rob Send a message via MSN to Rob Send a message via Skype™ to Rob
Tuner and a delete pipe. That's all you need. Be ready to dump a grip load of money on a tuner and pipe setup though.
Old 02-20-2012, 05:11 AM

YES, DEFINETLY, how much we talking? i went straight to a shop tht does that, they quoted me 2400 for exhaust, tuner (H&S) & intake sounded kinda steep to me. I think i will just do the install my self. Can't be that bad. I did the exhaust on my 7.3 in about 2 hours. and ill hust do from the downpipe back. I'm just not sure what to do with the sensors that or on the factory stuff.
Old 02-20-2012, 06:23 AM

You can get Mini max, 5" exhaust and cold air intake from PTP for $1503.05 with free shipping. Do install yourself its not very hard. 4 hours max. I highly recommend Performance Truck Products - DPF Delete Kits & Diesel Performance Parts from MBRP, H&S, EDGE, Diamond Eye, Banks, BullyDog.
Old 02-20-2012, 06:39 AM

YEA, THAT more of what i was thinking about spending, $2000. (+-) than i'll upgrade egr cooler after. i've already dumped over that already and thats for repairs
Old 02-22-2012, 03:25 AM
Serving Our Country!

Had the Stop Safely Now message come up two days ago.. Truck is currently sitting at dealer being diagnosed.. Just before it came on I had a CEL come on that morning, drove bout 20 miles to drop my wife off at work because of the snow that fell, was making my way back to my work and truck started blowing huge amount of Bluish smoke out of the exhaust... Stopped along the way at Advanced and had them pull the code, was a P242A, which points to a bad EGT sensor... and if you can keep rolling that good, but most of the time it puts you into limp mode anyways and you cannot. I could only creep at about 3mph before I just gave up and let it die. Did have to say I'm glad that FORD still covers towing when its under 60 or 100k..

Note to add... They called me yesterday and asked if I have been having any issues starting the truck.. I told them no, not till the message came up and the truck went into Safety Shut Down mode.. they said Oh, well we can't get it started.... NO KIDDING! lol, neither could I.. that's why its at your shop now!!..... haha You would think they know that they need to do a reset on the sensor or message to let the truck start.. I mean it is a FORD dealer of all places!
Old 02-22-2012, 04:18 AM

Cost me 522 to change the sensor. and $80 part. I look under there when i got home, If it took them 3 hours to change that part. They must of been working with 1 hand. Mind a couple of days before this happened, regen, what seemed like a look time. i had to drive a good ways to get it to stop, I'm almost to the point where i don't trust it anymore. well all is well now, but i did notice a lack of accelaration one afternoon but i took it out again and it was fine. prolly another surprise is waiting for me soon. i'm doing the research now for my exhauset, tuner and intake.
Old 02-24-2012, 03:34 AM
Serving Our Country!

Got the truck back yesterday, they broke the sensor off in the DPF, seems common... but they drilled and retapped the new sensor but did have to pull the DPF. Luckily it was all covered under the 60k or 100k warranty.. I havent driven my truck much in the past year or two so I will be pushing the 5yr limit at the end of this year.. kind of glad it happened now...
Old 02-25-2012, 08:04 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

EGT Sensor

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardT View Post
Mind a couple of days before this happened, regen, what seemed like a look time. i had to drive a good ways to get it to stop, I'm almost to the point where i don't trust it anymore.
Man It never gets boring on here....Same stories from different folks everyday. I traded my 08 F450 and got back in an 08 F250(my ignorance) and put the DPF back on and unprogrammed it. Headed to San Antonio from JAmestown, LA in the F450 and it was re-genning every 20 miles. Over and over. I pulled over and removed all 3 EGT sensors in the DPF and cleaned them by hand. Did not make much difference. Finally limped into the dealer(Auto Broker) and told them of the issue. They still wanted to trade but wanted to drive mine. On said test drive, the Shut Down Safely message came on and when they pulled back in their lot and shut it off....NOTA. It will not let you do anything. No power to the ignition at all. Same thing here. Had it towed to Ford Dealer their locally and it was same thing. One of the Sensors. $80 fix. Lucky it was under warranty and all my fees were covered. One of the sensors is very hard to get out the first time, I think its the one closest to the Engine. I have had 3 of these trucks and all arfe the same. The one sensor is stuck and usually rounds the head off when you try to remove it. I use hi-temp neverseize if I swap my DPF back/forth to go to the dealer.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.