white smoke and loss of power when accelerating - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-25-2011, 07:10 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
white smoke and loss of power when accelerating

i have done the searches and i have seen where people seem to be having the same problems during damp weather but it seems as if there is no straight answer...hopefully i can find that here

18k on the truck...completely stock
i can pretty much make it happen on demand by just accelerating to 2500 rpm. there is no codes flashing and i am sure that it is not trying to clean exhaust filter...same old story, it feels like the power cuts out, then after a little delay white smoke blows out the back. the weather is damp here right now. it has been for a few days

should i be worried, should i take it in to get checked out? or is this just something that i have to deal with? would deleting/tuning fix it?

thanks for any help
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-26-2011, 07:23 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I would also like some info on this. Not to highjack the thread, but I had the same thing happen twice yesterday. Come to a stop sign, get in the throttle good, and the truck does well in 1st. Goes to shift into 2nd and the truck falls on its face, blows white smoke, then picks back up and takes off. Truck is bone stock with 13k on it. It has been rainy and humid here in MD for the last three weeks. Any advice?
Old 09-26-2011, 11:41 AM

i went to the service department today and spoke to a technician. he said it is very common and that it has something to do with the intercooler...on wet, damp, humid, days the pan in the bottom of the intercooler collects water. when accelerating he said it sloshes up and gets into the turbo (i think) and is thrown out the exhaust?? he says there is an updated intercooler that they will install for me that has a design in the pan which doesnt as easily allow for moisture build up.

anyone who can help, does this sound correct? and any news on the new intercooler? thanks
Old 09-26-2011, 12:08 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

i did a little digging today and found that there was a TSB 8-25-1, which has been updated to TSB 11-2-2 for this reason. It has had mixed results from what i have been reading. i am going to try to stop by the dealer this week and schedule this work. See below. Hope this helps you.

Full TSB:

TSB
11-2-2 6.4L DIESEL - WHITE SMOKE IN DAMP WEATHER CONDITIONS WHEN ACCELERATING

Publication Date: February 1, 2011

FORD: 2008-2010 F-Super Duty

This article supersedes TSB 8-25-1 to remove the production build date, update the vehicle model years and Part List.

ISSUE:
Some 2008-2010 F-Super Duty 250-550 vehicles equipped with a 6.4L diesel engine may exhibit significant amounts of white smoke from the exhaust pipe while driving in high humidity or rainy conditions at temperatures above 4 C (40 F). This smoke only appears during a moderate to full throttle tip-in that is performed after a period of steady state driving.

ACTION:
Follow the Service Procedure steps to correct the condition.

SERVICE PROCEDURE

This procedure only applies if the vehicle meets the following criteria:

Concern is described as significant amounts of white smoke from the exhaust pipe.
White smoke only occurs in high humidity or rainy conditions above 4 C (40 F).
White smoke only appears during a moderate to heavy tip-in that is performed after a period of steady state driving (approximately 20 minutes)
No diagnostic trouble codes (DTCs) are present.
Concern is not a result of regeneration, a cleaning exhaust filter event.
If all of the criteria above is true, then replace the charge air cooler (CAC) assembly with a new revised part per Workshop Manual, Section 303-12.

Some white smoke may still be present under severe conditions even after the new level CAC has been installed. This is considered a design characteristic of the charge air system and no repair attempts should be made. This concern does not affect the life of the engine or exhaust components.

PART NUMBER PART NAME
7C3Z-6K775-C Charge Air Cooler Assembly

WARRANTY STATUS:
Eligible Under Provisions Of New Vehicle Limited Warranty Coverage And Emissions Warranty Coverage
IMPORTANT: Warranty coverage limits/policies are not altered by a TSB. Warranty coverage limits are determined by the identified causal part.

OPERATION DESCRIPTION TIME
110202A 2008-2010 F-Super Duty 6.4L: Replace The Charge Air Cooler, Includes Time To Check For DTCs (Do Not Use With 6775A, 12650D) 0.7 Hr.

DEALER CODING
BASIC PART NO. CONDITION CODE
6K775 42
Old 09-26-2011, 02:33 PM

thanks alot aqua...i have an appointment tomorrow for the new part. good luck!
Old 11-28-2011, 02:40 AM

My 08 f350 is just about at 70k. Will this tsb be covered under the 100k mile warrenty? I just recently started blowing white smoke about once a week either when its raining or when i get on it a little bit. Thanks
Old 02-02-2012, 01:41 PM
Serving Our Country!

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Send a message via AIM to f250ghost Send a message via MSN to f250ghost Send a message via Yahoo to f250ghost
Mine did this today...I pulled onto the highway and floored it...it lost some power and hesitated a little....then i saw some white smoke in the mirror. Let off the throttle...and got back on it and it was fine...hmm...truck is bone stock btw and humidity is at 97%...anyone??
Old 02-02-2012, 04:30 PM
Serving Our Country!

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Send a message via AIM to f250ghost Send a message via MSN to f250ghost Send a message via Yahoo to f250ghost
Anyone?? First time it's ever done this...I'm thinking maybe the DPF needs cleaned (it's about to get deleted anyway) or something else is goin on...any input?
Old 02-02-2012, 04:39 PM
Serving Our Country!

Even deleted I get this when its cold and damp. Its like mentioned water gets in and condenses.
Old 02-02-2012, 05:15 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

have the Charge Air Cooler Assembly replaced it covered as long as you dont have over 100,000 mi, had mine done no more white smoke
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.