6.4 ticking/ knocking video - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-31-2011, 09:46 AM
<<< 6.4 Powersmoke

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
6.4 ticking/ knocking video

I posted this over on another forum as well, but figured I would have the best luck here. A few years ago I made a thread about the "tick" that Ford claims is normal. The truck in the video is mine, and it's had this noise since it was brand new. Only lately, I have been noticing it more. I have had it into Ford twice now, and was told it is normal. All I am trying to find out is if anyone else on here notices a similar knock from their trucks.

Last edited by dieselkane; 12-14-2012 at 12:46 AM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-31-2011, 10:19 AM
Premium Member

that sounds more like a rod or lifters, My 08 makes a ticking nose but nothing like that. there a thread about the ticking somewhere here.But not sure where it is. just look for it in the forum.
Old 07-31-2011, 10:54 AM
Banned

Send a message via AIM to PowerstrokeTech82787
Let me guess, when you drive it loaded or not, it makes the noise more noticeably around 2000rpm as well.

Ford tells us its normall too. Sounds like lifter clatter or as if it were an oldschool pushrod engine with too much valve lash. being the best way i can describe it.

I have had trucks that when you shut off 1 injector at a time the noise would go away, indicating a rod bearing.
Old 07-31-2011, 11:55 AM
<<< 6.4 Powersmoke

Quote:
Originally Posted by PowerstrokeTech82787 View Post
Let me guess, when you drive it loaded or not, it makes the noise more noticeably around 2000rpm as well.

Ford tells us its normall too. Sounds like lifter clatter or as if it were an oldschool pushrod engine with too much valve lash. being the best way i can describe it.

I have had trucks that when you shut off 1 injector at a time the noise would go away, indicating a rod bearing.
So does the noise from the video sound like what Ford claims as "normal"??Actually after 2000 RPM's it gets hard to hear the knocking.
Old 07-31-2011, 12:08 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by dieselkane View Post
So does the noise from the video sound like what Ford claims as "normal"??Actually after 2000 RPM's it gets hard to hear the knocking.
When ive road tested the "noise" effected truck(s) in question, you hear it at an idle and with no load *neutral or park revving it* and once you get on the road and lightly accelerate and it makes one hell of a clatter around 18-1900 up to 2100rpm. Especially if your going up a hill.

Ive had our FSE come listen to some of the trucks ive had picky customers complain time and time again about the noise and said its normal. To me its not. I cant touch it til it comes apart or the FSE says so. Or ford releases a TSB....

Best advice i can offer, pay it off and get something else. 6.4s are not something you want to keep once the warranty expires unless you have alot of money to dispose of, or until components become cheaper SIGNIFICANTLY cheaper.

But as i mentioned, only way to telll if its a rod bearing is to shut the injector off to that cylinder and see if the noise goes away, or turn the engine by hand and listen to the oil pan. tape a stethoscope to the pan while you turn it listen for the click that it will make.
Old 07-31-2011, 10:01 PM
<<< 6.4 Powersmoke

Anyone else with an 08 have a similar knock when warmed up?
Old 07-31-2011, 10:28 PM
Banned

Has the truck ever been looked at for over fueling conditions? If enough fuel gets into the oil it will thin it out and cause bearings to become starved for lubrication...

Food for thought...
Old 07-31-2011, 10:48 PM
<<< 6.4 Powersmoke

Quote:
Originally Posted by PowerstrokeTech82787 View Post
Has the truck ever been looked at for over fueling conditions? If enough fuel gets into the oil it will thin it out and cause bearings to become starved for lubrication...

Food for thought...
No it hasn't, but I take UOA's through Blackstone on almost every oil change. All of them since deleting the DPF, with the exception of the last sample have read as there basically being no fuel in the oil. The last sample came back as having 3% fuel, and 22 PPM of aluminum. That's the most amount of fuel I have had in any sample with this engine. All the other metals are in check, and aluminum has always read a little high on my engine. Universal averages of aluminum are around 15 PPM, and mine was 22. Not extremely high, but not great either according to them. Bearing material has never been an issue in all of the samples.

Thanks for your input
Old 08-01-2011, 01:31 PM

my truck makes the SAME noise. I have taken it to 7, YES SEVEN, different dealers and they all say nothing is wrong. So i continue to drive it, and often get asked "wtf is that fluttering/ticking noise" and i just smile and say "it's a ford"

sorry man, situation sucks.
Old 08-01-2011, 02:02 PM
Dont Mess With Texas!

kane mine sounds exactly the same, it makes the noise when revving it up in park and until about 1600 rpm on light accelaration its the loudest when i really get on it you cant really hear it because of the intake and 5" straight pipe,
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.