radiator fluid all over! - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-21-2011, 08:02 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
radiator fluid all over!

i was towing my 26' travel trailer when a guy driving next to me said i was leaking fluid and all temps were ok.... so i pulled over anyway since i just had my radiator upper hose replaced. so i stopped on the side of the freeway and saw the rest of my radiator fluid pouring out. lucky for me there was a nice guy on the freeway that day, i was getting ready for a big grade!! i ended up getting my truck towed home first to unload the camping stuff before taking it to the dealership. before towing it home the tow truck guy checked it out and said the heater core hose came off. has this happened to anyone else? is this common or a problem while towing? here are 3 pictures showing where the hose is. i did take of the oem clamp off so i could have it to compare to the new oem part or a typical hose clamp from an auto part store. i wasn't sure if i should use a new oem part or your typical hose clamp you screw tight. the lip on the plastic part seems ok. when i put the hose back together what are the steps to refilling the radiator fluid. do i just fill the reservoir on the drivers side? i didn't notice a radiator cap on the the radiator.

2008 F350 6.4

Last edited by sportrider45; 06-21-2011 at 08:10 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-21-2011, 08:20 PM
Banned

Send a message via AIM to PowerstrokeTech82787
heater core hose has nothing to do with the upper hose no wheres near it. its not common but i dont like those tension hose clamps. id rather have the old worm gear style
Old 06-21-2011, 08:42 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

i know where the hose came off is not near the upper hose. i only mentioned the upper hose because i just had it replaced and wasn't sure if it popped off or something. i thought maybe the dealership may have put pressure on something else while performing the installation of the upper hose. i guess my question is, does the hose in the picture look like the heater core hose? i was looking for a second opinion of what came apart to explain to the dealership rather then tow it again just to put a regular screw hose clamp on and to add the radiator fluid. i'm not a mechanic but i do understand some motor stuff and was wondering if you add the fluid like i have done on my motorcycles where you have to run the motor a few times to open the thermostats to allow the fluid to circulate completely to get a accurate reading of your fluid level. this is my first diesel truck and i don't want to do something wrong.
Old 06-21-2011, 08:56 PM
Banned

Send a message via AIM to PowerstrokeTech82787
hate to scare you, your best way to refill coolant in these things are to go buy an air lift or snapon radkit plus this tool hooks up to an air line and uses compressed air to put a vacuum on the system. You drain the entire system first. Then you build your vacuum and mix FORD PREMIUM GOLD (nothing else if it mixes with green it turns to jelly and really f*cks things up in a hurry) with distilled water 50 50 in a 5 gallon bucket. for every 1 bottle of coolant 1 gallon of water. then the coolant tool uses the vacuum in the system to pull the proper ammount every time i may add to the system. no burping needed no having to run the vehicle. all though doesnt hurt to run it with the heater on.

As far as your cooling system is concerned your going to be in for a rude awakening when (i dont say if because its a definite issue with ford) your radiator pops and/or egr coolers pop.

It is a heater core hose.
Old 06-22-2011, 05:41 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Thanks for the info. Looks like I'm taking it in to have it filled. I thought the radiator would be covered under the 60k poweretrain warranty or the 100k motor warranty, not so much. so I bought the premium care warranty to cover myself if the truck starts to have issues with the raidator or any other spendy things that are breaking.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.