F550 DPF and Boost issues - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-08-2011, 04:23 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
F550 DPF and Boost issues

Ever since I have had the truck the regens have gotten more and more common. They are now doing it less than every 40 miles. The other issue that seems to have started when the regens became very frequent is the boost. The truck will hold steady at 30+ psi boost unless it is in regen mode. When the truck is regening it has normal boost characteristics but as soon as regen is over it is back to the high boost psi. I am taking the truck in soon and would like to know what to expect or know how to push the dealer in the right way. Is the filter shot> The truck just hit 32,000 and all maintenance has been done to a T. Please help THANK YOU
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-10-2011, 07:15 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

I think the high boost may be normal but this frequent regen cannot be right? Anyone have similar issues? I cannot find much first hand experience with the deletes on chassis cabs so I am nervous to do the deletes.
Old 06-12-2011, 04:46 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Send a message via Yahoo to squarebale19
Can anyone tell me why on a 6.4 you can't rid yourself of the air cooler with a cone air filter,then reroute ur expelled air through your exhaust,i've seen the air temperatures and pressures on backglass and it would seem a way cheaper alternative.
Old 06-19-2011, 08:12 PM
Banned

Send a message via AIM to PowerstrokeTech82787
Quote:
Originally Posted by sbbtmatt View Post
Ever since I have had the truck the regens have gotten more and more common. They are now doing it less than every 40 miles. The other issue that seems to have started when the regens became very frequent is the boost. The truck will hold steady at 30+ psi boost unless it is in regen mode. When the truck is regening it has normal boost characteristics but as soon as regen is over it is back to the high boost psi. I am taking the truck in soon and would like to know what to expect or know how to push the dealer in the right way. Is the filter shot> The truck just hit 32,000 and all maintenance has been done to a T. Please help THANK YOU
1. Im a powerstroke tech and dont want to come off like a dick but ill tell you and anyone else how it is, Dont go pushing a dealership or technician, they may end up telling you to take it somewheres else or say something you may not like. I despise customers that read things online and come in with it printed and highlighted. If they know more or think they know more than i do, i offer them my tools and say have at it. Ive done it before. Left the customer standing in my bay infront of thier truck with my tool cart loaded with tools and went over and got another RO and another truck. Pretty amusing.
2. Sounds to me your filter is getting sooted up. leave it to the technician to figure out.
3. Also sounds like the beginning of the end of your engine. I have had 5 F350-550 dump trucks, flat beds etc come in and the customer states cleaning exhaust light came on frequently and one time it came on and truck billowed smoke and died. Start it up and it knocks raps taps or doesnt start at all and find melted or missing pistons. yes thats right Missing. Wrist pin and rod being the only thing left in that cylinder.
3. Expect them to take thier time and fix it right. Dont go in with a big shot attitude and expect your truck back within a day or 2... your not the only 6.4 customer and not the only 6.4 customer who relies on the truck for income. Ive had every trade from mobile mechanics, to masons, to tow trucks, to contractors, to even sheriffs departments that use these to tow boats and other equipment. Believe me, if there was a faster way to have ford pass through prior approval and could ship an engine or components faster you and others wouldnt be comming in livid. I dont want My 2 post lift tied up with a cab in the air for a month. Thats right a month. Short blocks we send heads out and sometimes have to wait a week because the machine shop is so busy so theres 1 week down the drain. Usually takes 2 weeks for an engine or short block assembly to come in. And usually we are pulled off the job to do waiters and other quicker repairs than your short block. Thats just how the dealership is.
Not trying to sound like a Dick but thats how it is. Theres nothing you can do about it except call ford and scream at them and then we get CUDL alerts and all the other BS and still doesnt get the truck done faster, ive seen other techs to spite the customer literally stand around or sit in a chair for a better part of the day or go get other work to do and refuse to touch the truck.

I had 1 dump truck that sat 2 months before it was looked at, thats how backed up we were with 6.4s that blew motors and other work comming in. No dealership in this time is going to turn work away. Be it cash pay or warranty. It took me 1 month to do a short block. 1st week i spent on it. Took me only 1 day to get the cab off engine out. Spent hours with hotline both online and on the phone. we dont have any digital uploading abilities at my dealership but i was literally yelling at an engineer over the phone telling him i removed the glow plug shoved my borescope down and found cyl 8 missing a piston and how i had cyl 8 contribution and cyl 3 contribution. It had cyl 8 mia and cyl 3 melted down.

From there i finally got the approval because i didnt follow the 12 steps or the "proper diagnostics" ive seen enough of these failures why the hell do i or any other tech have to waste time when we can get it done faster? Fine ill take all my time for the fuel mist test power balance and compression and manual compression test when all i have to do is shove a borescope down the glow plug hole. Then had to do all the paper work and BS.

I dissasembled the engine and sent the heads to the machine shop. waited i believe 2 weeks before the heads were even looked at and checked for cracks etc. By the time the heads came back i had to have 1 replaced due to a crack intbetween the valves. So it sat 2 weeks with nothing being done. I also replaced the entire hpfsystem. Had to write that up as well. Cleaned and inspected the intake. Engine didnt come in until AER showed up on a thursday of the 2nd week.
Put that motor and truck back together and spent another week trying to figure out the P2263 code it had. Finally got the P2263 code cleared replaced the ebp sensor and found a small exhaust leak comming from the left up pipe and told my service manager to call the customer and have them come get it. The customer lived 1 hour away. Was halfway there when i took it on its final test drive and the high pressure turbo exploded. Not my problem. I cleaned the CAC cac tubes and intake. Also replaced the oil feed lines to the turbo because when an engine grenades metal shavings go everywhere. And eventually whatever was left in the turbos got pushed into the bearings wiped the bearings out and then it siezed the shaft snapped and sent the turbine down the road. So had to wait for another turbo to come in. Let them do thier job and if your not satisfied dont go back upset, find another dealership thats local within 50 miles or so.

Quote:
Originally Posted by squarebale19 View Post
Can anyone tell me why on a 6.4 you can't rid yourself of the air cooler with a cone air filter,then reroute ur expelled air through your exhaust,i've seen the air temperatures and pressures on backglass and it would seem a way cheaper alternative.
WHAT?! Replace the CAC with a cone filter? Or replace the air filter with an aftermarket filter?

Lets start with this.
1. There isnt any aftermarket intake system that has the flow or the filtering ratio that the stock filters have. K&N filter systems throw check engine lights left and right. Customers get pissed when me or other techs replace them with factory oem and the concern goes away and they end up paying labor and diag.
2. If you are saying re route the expelled air through the exhaust? Is that comming from the CAC? If so how is the engine even going to run properly with No boost if you have it running into the exhaust like an Air pump on older california emission vehicles.
3. What the hell is backglass?
Old 06-20-2011, 05:47 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Powerstroke 6.4L Bible Page

And the Cac just seems like for the difference it makes in temperature its a waste,just my ignorance speaking,i have just a kn filter not the assembly.my overall objective is to get a system that gives me better mpg,right now i'm looking at the spartan tuner egr/dpf/doc delete...with an hho kit
Old 06-21-2011, 08:47 PM
Banned

HAHA if thats a bible youll think me or any other tech is god.

As for the cac if it wasnt on there, youd have engine melt down in no time granted its sitting infront of numerous heat exchangers it does make a difference. Remember exhaust gasses are what turn the turbos and exhaust contains heat among other things (primary reason for doc dpf egr valve etc) and that heat carries through the metals in the turbo from the compressor to the housing. if there was no way to cool the compressed air which is the job of a cac or intercooler, youd have higher nox emissions, and a very very big issue when the truck is being worked to death. How would you feel if you ran full sprint pulling a wagon full of bags of cement and had hotter air to breathe as you kept running?

Call it my ignorance, granted i do like the 08-10 body style, but owning a 6.4 is like burning 100 dollar bills, if the thought of major torque and hp and lower 1/4 mile e/ts and modifying it to where its emissions delete to gain another 2-3 mpg to me isnt worth it. If i had one id trade it in a heart beat. Good luck trying to get over 14mpg with those boat anchors. for what it will cost you to get all the emissions delete systems, tuner, in parts alone isnt worth it. If you have that kind of money to waste, id put it to better use. Example, id redo a chevelle, or buy an 80s camaro and throw together a stout 327 or 302 for it. (302 as in a 302 chevy 4 inch bore 3 inch stroke crank) or id put a pool table and a bar in my basement n have a nice spot to relax.

As for your KN filter, hate to break it to you dude, your not gaining anything from it in fact your losing from it. Heres why. Those oil bath filters Trap dirt. Doesnt take long for dirt to stick to those and plug them up. The filter to flow ratio on the 6.0 and 6.4 air filters cannot be matched or beaten by the aftermarket. Besides your only causing problems down the road. your maf sensor will be contaminated from the oil in the filter before long and once that happens all kinds of screwy things go on. If its still got a warranty, switch it back to stock. all you need is 1 prick tech to go cry to ford and wham your warranty is history.

Personally i wont own any diesel
1. theyre not practical fuel is outrageous
2. cost in maintenance is ridiculous
3. cost of repairs (would only be parts i can wrench anything from a 2 stroke dirt bike to my weekend race cars and my hot rod to a big cam 400 cummins and everything in between)
4. I dont tow anything to where i would need the diesel.
My 5.3 pulls my race cars and does everything else i need it to do just fine.
Old 06-21-2011, 11:15 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

To late for the classics,so why wouldn't an egr delete be good?sorry so many ?'s
and have you read any on hho kits for better mpg's and a cleaner burning system
Old 06-22-2011, 05:35 PM
Banned

egr delete is a royal pain in the *** to install in cab. I had 2 cash pay egr dpf doc delete kits. only the 1 customer put a lift and tires and called it quits with a tuner that allowed him to run emissions delete without a check engine light pretty much everything else was stock. The other customer had daddys money pay for top dollar everything. Sucked to be that kid after he blew it up 2 months after all that work. He had an aggressive tuner in it. i had the cab up and our FSE was checking out one of the 6.7 nightmares saw that kids truck took pics and DENIED the warranty claim cancelled the entire powertrain warranty. And in the letter to the customer-Was the label on the upper rad support, Any modifications that causes a ford component failure bla bla bla will not be covered under any factory warranty. There were 2 cracked pistons and 1 missing. Head studs done to it too. I can tell you what caused it, the stock injector for the one that was missing the piston on cyl 7 stuck open from higher fuel rail pressures.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.