Replacing Power Steering?? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-18-2011, 01:22 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Replacing Power Steering??

Hey Guys so I went to my local dealership and they cant replace my power steering pump because of the 37" tires i have on it. Which for some reason i already knew they would say that but anyways I ordered the motor craft oem steering pump and im wondering if there is anybody out there that has done this already or is there a thread with any help. Any info would be great.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-18-2011, 02:41 PM
Powerstroke Techie

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
its been a while since i've done one but i know for a fact the fan gets in the way. i think you can work around it though if you remove the upper shroud. you'll need to remove the pulley and that'll require a ps pump pulley remover. after that it's straight forward, 3 bolts hold it in, one feed line, one high pressure line

you'll need a white teflon o-ring for the high pressure line also

edit

I can't believe they told you they can't work on your truck because of the tires. regardless of how high the thing sits you still have to lay on the grille/rad support to reach everything. you could have tractor tires on the thing and i'd still get a ladder and work on it

Last edited by sinner6.0L; 05-18-2011 at 02:45 PM.
Old 05-18-2011, 05:52 PM

Man I hope ur luck is better than mine....
I had a little pedal kickback and trouble steering at an idle and waved it off. Mth or so later whining starts and ps and pb are barely present. I get to my mechanic and it needs ps pump, master cylinder, and hydroboost unit. Its another problem ford is fully aware of and don't give a $hit it cost 1500 to have it fixed right. Ford knows it was a flaw bc whn my mechanic got the new master cylinder, it wouldn't bolt up to original setup, bthere is an improved working replacement.....kinda like the riginal faulty 6. 4 fuel filters. If only ford would man up when they screw up, it would keep a lot more loyal ford folks loyal.

Sorry for my rant
Old 05-18-2011, 08:11 PM

They SINNER6.0 thanks for the info and i think you understood me wrong... dealership said the 37" tires cause the power steering to fail. Which i call BULLCHIT.

Hey COALROLLA9740 Why wont they cover your 6.4?? I found an TSB Report For the Kickback Pedal its TSB 99-25-8 if that helps any!
Old 05-19-2011, 05:29 PM
Powerstroke Techie

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
yeah i thought about that after i typed it. not sure about that one either, we don't get many lifted trucks through the shop around here
Old 05-20-2011, 11:17 PM

I didn't even mess with ford srv bc of all the bullchit they put u thru. Not to mention down time from my trk. Its not peculiar for u to take ur trk to a ford dealer and sit for a week bf it would get looked @.I thought the pump was the only repair i was n need of....oh was I wrong!
Old 05-21-2011, 07:35 AM

Coalrolla after reading other post and yours i starting to think i may need more then just the ps pump
Old 05-21-2011, 09:07 AM

Go to the dealer armed with the tsb and give it a try...it does state if filter placed on pump to remove contaminants doesn't resolve kickback issue, then replace hydroboost system. I just get impatient, but I think u could end up getting it repaired on fomoco's dime
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.