09 F250 Supr Duty, 6.4L, Broken Rockers - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-07-2011, 05:26 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
09 F250 Supr Duty, 6.4L, Broken Rockers

I have been posting/looking on other forums for info on this topic. I have this truck which I disassembled and found this: . It was on #8 cyl. I replaced all the rockers as assemblies and all other required parts as directed by Service Information. I have it back together and running now and it does seem to run well. I have a ticking noise now on the left bank (EVEN). It sounds either like a fuel knock or a possible tappet noise, it also bent the exhaust pus hrod as a result on the same cyl. There were several other assemblies with fretting wear evident. Has anyone run into a similar condition. It has 160K on the clock, no mods and is clean.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-07-2011, 08:01 PM
Viking Heavy Diesel

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Wow that sucks. I have heard of a ticking sound in them but I dont believe I have really seen bent push rods and busted rockers.
Old 08-21-2011, 08:55 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I have a 2008 F-250 with the 6.4L POS engine. I have had a problem lately with what I thought was a rod knocking and exhaust sounding like a log truck. Come to find out it is a rocker arm in the valve train. The mechanic @ the dealership where I am getting my truck repaired tells me the rocker arms are fastened down with a plastic clip. These plastic clips are breaking causing the rocker arm to dislodge. My truck is currently in the shop for the third rocker arm repair in the past two months. 80,500 miles on the engine, less than 20k miles left on warranty. So far, the warranty has covered these repairs. I contacted Ford Customer Service about this, my concern being there are more rocker arms with these plastic clips. I asked them if there was a possibility of them replacing all the clips since this seems to be an ongoing problem. Nope, only replace what is broken. I told Ford CS if I had known these engines had plastic clips holding down the rocker arms I never would have bought this truck to start with. Once the warranty goes out, the guy in the shop @ the dealership is telling me it is gonna cost me a minimum of $1500 each time I have to have one of these things fixed.
Old 08-21-2011, 09:56 AM
Banned

Send a message via AIM to PowerstrokeTech82787
Quote:
Originally Posted by wwadeson View Post
I have been posting/looking on other forums for info on this topic. I have this truck which I disassembled and found this: . It was on #8 cyl. I replaced all the rockers as assemblies and all other required parts as directed by Service Information. I have it back together and running now and it does seem to run well. I have a ticking noise now on the left bank (EVEN). It sounds either like a fuel knock or a possible tappet noise, it also bent the exhaust pus hrod as a result on the same cyl. There were several other assemblies with fretting wear evident. Has anyone run into a similar condition. It has 160K on the clock, no mods and is clean.
lifter tick wont be long before it dies. too bad you have to pull the whole engine apart to replace the lifter. they are known to break rocker arms before bending a push rod. just like 6.0 rockers plastic fulcrum clips and doesnt take much to destroy them.
Old 08-21-2011, 09:58 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by SJones View Post
I have a 2008 F-250 with the 6.4L POS engine. I have had a problem lately with what I thought was a rod knocking and exhaust sounding like a log truck. Come to find out it is a rocker arm in the valve train. The mechanic @ the dealership where I am getting my truck repaired tells me the rocker arms are fastened down with a plastic clip. These plastic clips are breaking causing the rocker arm to dislodge. My truck is currently in the shop for the third rocker arm repair in the past two months. 80,500 miles on the engine, less than 20k miles left on warranty. So far, the warranty has covered these repairs. I contacted Ford Customer Service about this, my concern being there are more rocker arms with these plastic clips. I asked them if there was a possibility of them replacing all the clips since this seems to be an ongoing problem. Nope, only replace what is broken. I told Ford CS if I had known these engines had plastic clips holding down the rocker arms I never would have bought this truck to start with. Once the warranty goes out, the guy in the shop @ the dealership is telling me it is gonna cost me a minimum of $1500 each time I have to have one of these things fixed.

Yeah i would have thought by now they would have redesigned a few major design flaws allready. nope. doesnt look like it. theyll probably wait until warranty is up on them and then come out with an updated part...

By the way how many radiators have you gone through? After 3 years and 36k miles they come out of your pocket...
Old 08-22-2011, 09:31 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by PowerstrokeTech82787 View Post

Yeah i would have thought by now they would have redesigned a few major design flaws allready. nope. doesnt look like it. theyll probably wait until warranty is up on them and then come out with an updated part...

By the way how many radiators have you gone through? After 3 years and 36k miles they come out of your pocket...
I have the Ford 5 yr/100k mile extended warranty. I have had one replaced so far, just within the last 5k miles.

The more I read about these trucks, the more I am thinking I need to be ditching this one real quick before the warranty runs out. The dealership is telling me I can get another 2 yrs/100k mile extension to my warranty for about $3k, but is a limited coverage warranty that will only cover 21 parts / items on the engine. Dealership is also tellimg me they wouldn't own one of these trucks WITHOUT an extended warranty. Not good.........

I paid a little over $50k for this truck with the expecatation I would have it for 6-7-8 years or so. :-(((
Old 08-22-2011, 03:32 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by SJones View Post
I have the Ford 5 yr/100k mile extended warranty. I have had one replaced so far, just within the last 5k miles.

The more I read about these trucks, the more I am thinking I need to be ditching this one real quick before the warranty runs out. The dealership is telling me I can get another 2 yrs/100k mile extension to my warranty for about $3k, but is a limited coverage warranty that will only cover 21 parts / items on the engine. Dealership is also tellimg me they wouldn't own one of these trucks WITHOUT an extended warranty. Not good.........

I paid a little over $50k for this truck with the expecatation I would have it for 6-7-8 years or so. :-(((
ouch. Blame the salesmen. When i went to school for them the trainer said that these were going to be bullet proof issue free. I called him out on it when i saw the engine on the stand and pointed a horizontally mounted EGR cooler mounted literally on top of a HOT exhaust manifold a place for coolant to boil and cause severe coolant system issues-radiators. Also pointed out the hot up pipes resting on top of the high pressure fuel pump with a thin heat shield oh but thats where the fuel cooler comes in... mmhmm right. and the high pressure to low pressure turbo connection-a joke pretty much a compression fitting in concept why they couldnt make 2 more bolt holes and run bolts into it to keep it from leaking there. i remember telling him mark my words this engine will put ford in the grave. 6 weeks later they started rolling in just as fast as they were being sold. They push them left and right. the first dealership i worked at a salesman had one for his demo... 12k and high pressure turbo took a dirt nap. 15k radiator blew. 22k high pressure fuel pump failed sending shrapnel through the entire fuel system at 28k he removed the dealer plate after it billowed white smoke and shut down on the side of the road. 2 pistons completely missing. after that he started selling used 7.3s and 6.0s like they were hot cakes and made them out to be the greatest thing since sliced bread.

No warranty will cover the radiator. Radiator is covered under a base 3yr 36k mile warranty. Your extended "diesel care" warranty is to me a joke. You pay a deductible should something fail and bring it in. and those are in the dealership realm-ESP and ESP is way easier to void and null than the normal 5yr 100k warranty. so say if you had an ESP claim to go through and its because your HPFP died and you irritated the tech in some manor (i get it alot 6.4 owners are 99% the most arrogant ignorant rude people i have ever met but then again i dont blame them when they are dropping 40-80k dollars for an over engineered piece of crap that they were led to believe is bullet proof ) and bam. Oh looks like you didnt change your fuel filters and contamination got in thats customer neglect/abuse. Bye bye warranty. hello 1,000s for the dealership in parts and labor.
Old 08-22-2011, 08:01 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I have an 08 F350 that I just bought a month ago. I pulled the Oasis report on it after I purchased it and found that it had all the rocker arms replaced because they were either cracked or broken. 9,000 miles after I bought it, it's making this "lifter" noise you guys are referring to. I have an appointment at the dealer in a week. I have 99,000 miles on the truck and just bought the esp warranty good until 200,000..... It looks like I'm going to need it.
Old 08-22-2011, 08:16 PM

Man, that sucks to hear! Plastic crap is a joke! Any idea if this could be a similar issue on the new 6.7L? Or 6.7 new design?
Old 08-26-2011, 11:02 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

michcummins

Let us know what they find on your truck.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.