Will DPF delete pass nys inspection? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-23-2011, 04:55 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Will DPF delete pass nys inspection?

I bought a 2008 6.4 6 speed over the winter to plow. Traded my 2010 Tundra Crew Max rock warrior for it (big mistake). Now I'm stuck, but hate the regens/milage/turbo lag/holdback of the filter. My question is this: can I do the DPF delete and pass NYS smog? I know about the warranty, already had it in for EGR/housing fusion problem, now computer has to be reflashed again (spewing non existant trouble codes). I have 62,000 on it now so not much more warranty. I want MPG and power and the Ford system is bs. I thought about doing a stealth mod and gutting the dpf reinstalling the pipe without the guts and getting the tuner.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-23-2011, 05:46 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Read this and let me know what you think it means. To me i think it says we only need the safety inspection. also i think in NYC it is stricter. New York Smog Checks - Emissions Regulations, NY Smog Testing Stations - DMV Guide .
Old 04-23-2011, 05:55 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Checking it out

I looked. Appears that diesel vehicles in my area (upstate) doesn't need an emissions inspection for 8,500 lbs or less, my SRW 350 extended cab long box 4x4 is said to be about 8,000 lbs. Am I and this site correct?
Old 04-23-2011, 06:07 PM

Yes you are correct about the 8000. Where are you located i am close to Ithaca. My inspection isnt due until July so i wont no for sure until then. Hopefully other members in NY will chime in.
Old 04-23-2011, 06:51 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I'm up near glens falls (1.5 hrs north of albany). Mine is due in december. I put a 4" PVC and spectre cold air on it and saw 2.5 MPG gain over the bad stock filter. Also got snappier throttle response. Saw a decrease in top end power though--I think because midrange is up. Seems to be loosing boost. Bought biggest filter available. Might have to go to two filters. I have a max of 26 PSI boost at 3,000 RPM under full throttle. think turbos are maxed out.
Old 04-23-2011, 07:09 PM

Feedback Score: 7 reviews
In upstate NY you will pass. In the city, you will not! Around me they check for codes (not on diesels though) and other than that it's all safety. Just find a smaller shop that isn't going to try to make all sorts of extra work that you may or may not need.
Old 04-23-2011, 09:48 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

hey guys just want to chime in, i am a certified nys inspector and only in the downstate of new york including all of the 5 boroughs and long island do you need an emissions test, anything upstate only require a safety inspection but that does consist of having all your emissions components in place and everything else being in order.
Old 04-23-2011, 09:50 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adirondack6.4 View Post
I looked. Appears that diesel vehicles in my area (upstate) doesn't need an emissions inspection for 8,500 lbs or less, my SRW 350 extended cab long box 4x4 is said to be about 8,000 lbs. Am I and this site correct?
just want to add to this they gvw not what you think it weighs, they go by registration so i assume your trucks somewhere around 12k lbs.
Old 04-24-2011, 03:53 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

i live a hr north of syracuse and mine has passed twice without the dpf.
Old 04-24-2011, 04:44 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Polish Pete, I'm looking at gutting my stock dpf and reusing the pipe. I know I'll sacrifice a little power, but I'll look stock. The tuner shuts down the egr without removing components, so I should be good right?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.