'08 smoking like a freight train and blowing oil out the exhaust. - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-19-2011, 04:55 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
'08 smoking like a freight train and blowing oil out the exhaust.

I bought this '08 F250 a few weeks ago at an auction and it was smoking a little so I knew it needed some work. I went to pick it up today to try and drive it home but it smoked so bad after 2 miles, I turned around and parked it again. Two things I noticed were the temperature gauge never went above the half way point so I doubt it would be the head gaskets, and second, when I parked it, motor oil was coming out the tail pipe and the drain hole in the back muffler. I'm pretty sure at least a whole quart if not two in that short drive was blown out. What would that indicate? A bad turbo seal especially since it's not making any boost? Broken rings, but it runs and idles smooth? What do you think?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-19-2011, 05:07 PM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by atikovi View Post
I bought this '08 F250 a few weeks ago at an auction and it was smoking a little so I knew it needed some work. I went to pick it up today to try and drive it home but it smoked so bad after 2 miles, I turned around and parked it again. Two things I noticed were the temperature gauge never went above the half way point so I doubt it would be the head gaskets, and second, when I parked it, motor oil was coming out the tail pipe and the drain hole in the back muffler. I'm pretty sure at least a whole quart if not two in that short drive was blown out. What would that indicate? A bad turbo seal especially since it's not making any boost? Broken rings, but it runs and idles smooth? What do you think?
Could be a turbo issue , could be a hole in a piston ......... You probably should start with a compression check .
Old 04-19-2011, 06:33 PM

Most likely needs a high pressure turbo (the turbo on the drivers side) if you want to check it remove the inlet (180 degree pipe) you will have major shaft play when they are smoking that bad.

Last edited by Aviator46; 04-19-2011 at 06:38 PM.
Old 04-24-2011, 09:18 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Send a message via AIM to powerstrokepros.com
pull the lower CAC boot and watch for oil draining out of the cooler pretty good indication of the formentioned drivers turbo.
Old 04-24-2011, 09:30 AM
Premium Member

Turbo for sure. If it was a hole in the piston, there would be oil and blow by coming out the oil filler.
Old 04-24-2011, 11:53 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by pyro2nite View Post
If it was a hole in the piston, there would be oil and blow by coming out the oil filler.
And it wouldn't be running so smooth. Thanks I'll check it out.
Old 04-24-2011, 12:38 PM
Premium Member

It's something that needs to be addressed ASAP. If it is the turbo, and it starts to come apart, pieces in the cylinders will make the cost of the turbo look small. Good luck.
Old 04-24-2011, 12:46 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Well, it's not like I can drive it. Between the smokescreen and one mile per quart of oil it dumps out.
Old 05-03-2011, 05:37 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I ended up selling it today back at the auction place where I bought it. It was a real nice truck except for the smoking engine. I have a tow dolly but this truck is too big for that and I didn't want to hassle with the expenses of a rollback towing it home, towing it to a shop to check it out, towing it back home to fix it etc. Thanks for the help. Here are some pics.

Old 05-04-2011, 06:10 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Good looking truck. It'll make somebody with a little mechanical ability a great truck someday.

Tim
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.