Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

Drain Water Seperator Question???

3K views 13 replies 5 participants last post by  RichardT 
#1 · (Edited)
08' Job 3 6.4- Runs great for the first 8k miles (compared to my pos job 1) but the "Drain Water" light comes on all the time. I turn the truck off at the end of the day or when parked for a period of time and the light goes off but returns w/in 15+/-miles off starting it and driving again. I've opend it up (drain valve) many, many times and nothing at all comes out. Had the first full service (oil/filter/fuel filters) done at a Ford dealership here a couple of weeks ago and the mechanic told me he checked for water before and after and it was good. Anyone know what this could be (bad sensor??) or should I take it back to the dealer and have them run through it. Thanks in advance.

#2 ·
Gonna try again.

#3 ·
i had the exact same problem. i changed the fuel filters (like you did) and then i took the cover off the water seperator, cleaned it out and cleaned the sensor. I then put some lucas fuel treatment and the light has not come on since. Hopefully in a few months i can afford either a fass or airdog.

#4 ·
I SEEMED to having same problem, i drained & changed out filters, did good for about 500 miles, now its back on i did drain it once and it had some water not much but it had some, drain it again after that and no water. but it came back on on my way in this morning. i did add sea foam to it once, but i was told to try Lucas and see what happens, How hard is it to clean out that seperator? that sounds like my next move, i did notice when i changed out my filter it wasn't the cleanest. I did clean it out best i could but ...... i'm getting tired of climing under there 3 times a week, its not lifted YET so it like getting under a car.. no room to manever

#5 ·
My two cents...take it in to the dealer. There have been so many reports of warranties being voided for water in the fuel. Have the dealer check it out and put it on the receipt. If you have problems in the future, you will have documentation that they did it.

#6 ·
I hear ya, But i went for a while there with no light coming on, and it seems to be went i get down to a 1/4 tank i'm definetly starting to think there is water in fuel, I'm going to try to clean & drain 1 more time than they get it, not much warranty left on it anyways, But i am starting to get worried about something else major happening because of this especially after all i've been reading. This seems like a common problem, I'm also starting to think some of the fuel station do have water in fuel. I'm starting to question my choice of fuel stations too.

#7 ·
I keep receipts when I get fuel too. I'm over protective with this delicate motor. I've heard horror stories of over $8500 to replace the injectors and HPFP. I started draining my separator every other week. Good luck cleaning it, I hope it helps

#8 ·
i am going to get either a fass or airdog fuel system. I know its expensive but i want to protect the injectors and HPFP. They filter the fuel to 2 microns and also removes the air from the fuel. :)

#9 ·
What kinda cost (installed) are you looking at for a Fass or Airdog fuel system? I'm doing the whole "drain" thing 2-3 times a week myself.

#11 ·
A lot of times the sensor in the separator will go bad and they have to replace it. My job one did this once so I took it in and they tested it and said it was ok and that I just needed to keep draining it and it would go away. And I did and it went away and I have never seen it again.

#12 ·
FUEL SYSTEM

HOW HARD IS THE INSTALL, does this system get rid of the oem fuel filter/ sep. or is it in addition to the oem FUEL/SEP you have me interested in this,

#13 ·
HOW HARD IS THE INSTALL, does this system get rid of the oem fuel filter/ sep. or is it in addition to the oem FUEL/SEP you have me interested in this,
I installed it on my dodge and it wasnt too bad. The hardest part is dropping the tank. I will be installing it on my truck hopefully by July. The OEM water seperator is not used at all with the fass or airdog. The filter by the motor is still used but stays cleaner because the fass or airdog are 2 micron filtration systems.

#14 ·
Ok took my water Sep. cover off and you won't believe what was in there. The whole bottom section was one big white blob of white goo
. Cleaned it all out with rags and diesel no wonder the WIF light came on. Now was I supposed to change the gasket too? Not sure. When back pretty well just not sire bout the gasket

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.