fuel pouring from back of engine area - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-18-2011, 04:11 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
fuel pouring from back of engine area

Fuel running out of engine area-over the top of the transmission and down it-as if there is a fuel line on back of the engine that started leaking-a return line perhaps?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-19-2011, 06:27 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

bump...........
Old 03-19-2011, 06:39 PM
Powerstroke Techie

Feedback Score: 4 reviews
your high pressure pump sits back there. it's got 2 low pressure and 2 high pressure fuel lines on top of it. any one of them has the potential to leak

have you had any recent repairs involving the hpp? it's most likely a low pressure line
Old 03-20-2011, 07:21 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I talked to my tech lastnight, he agrees that its probably a line-he hopes a fitting is loose near the pump, and it'll be a simple operation, but he said that if a line has a hole in it, it'll be a cab removal situation. I've never had anything doen to the hpp, but I have an exhaust back-pressure sensor replaced twice, but I dont think that it involves anything related fuel lines...He also recommened asking anyone on here if they have had similar issues in this area and if so we'll alert Ford and the goverment of a potential recall situation? I'm taking it to my tech tomorrow, so hopefully by the end of the week I'll have a definate resolution
Old 03-21-2011, 02:02 PM
Powerstroke Techie

no. never personally seen a line leaking on the high pressure pump. heard of it many times but only after fuel system repairs and only related to the change in washer material from copper to viton. it's possible the actual fitting on the pump has backed out too

if it is a line loosened up on the pump good luck getting to it with the cab on. personally i don't think it is possible. you already have to pull the uppipes to get the heat shield off. and then getting a wrench on the lines with the high pressure turbo outlet in the way is nearly impossible anyways
Old 03-23-2011, 03:26 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

this happened to me saturday. exact same thing. its at the dealer and they said they have to take the cab off to see the pump. 1200 to pull cab and see whats wrong. i hope they do a recall cause this is terrible. i am stuck in fl why it gets fixed. they havnt even got the cab off yet. i will post when its done and let you know what happened.
Old 04-15-2011, 06:32 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

UPDATE: Got the turbos off, and fitting(s) were leaking on the HP fuel pump...Tech replaced all the fuel lines and seals as well. Also replaced the gasket that seals the wire harness where it goes into the engine, it seems that they are starting to see many trucks have problems here that allow the wires to chaffe and ground out on the block causing serious problems and a cab-off repair too. Put the new PCM flash in as well and the immediately had a limp condition-it seems that my thermostats were f'd up which again is starting to be common on high mile 6.4's. got those in and she's running better than ever. I think that my tech told my about a tsb regarding thermostats failing. Sure warms up faster now! I couldnt tell any performance difference from seat of the pants. Also, he said that the CAC tsb now uses different parts now, so maybe that white smoke in the rain issues will finally be resolved.? The first cooler fixed my truck, but not my fathers, so he'll be getting a new one soon.
Old 04-16-2011, 05:38 AM
Powerstroke Techie

it's good that you got that gasket changed. glad everything worked out
Old 04-25-2011, 06:09 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

i had the same thing happen so i pulled the cab myself and the high pressure lines were lose so i replaced those and the gasket and all seals on low pressure lines but not the lines itself. so started the truck and it has a slight drip and then a stedy drip so i might pull the turbos off and replace the low lines, any ideas?
Old 04-25-2011, 06:36 PM
Powerstroke Techie

you need to look at the flats on the lines to make sure they're not dished from the torque of the original copper washers.

are you using the new black viton washers? if so you may run into sealing trouble due to what I believe is under torque. you need to make sure the washers stay centered in the fitting while you tighten it. For good measure I always replace the low pressure fuel line caps also and give them a little extra 45 turn after the torque down
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.