In the shop, hope it's not to bad - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-11-2011, 11:55 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
In the shop, hope it's not to bad

So yesterday I was doing some running around got home and noticed a taping sound. I had gone to the car wash so I figured something must have gotten wet. Well this morning I get home from work start it up and it was still there. I decided to take it to the shop incase it was something serious. I didn't want to make it worse by driving it around and ignoring the problem. The dealer calls me later in the day and says it has 4% low compresion in 1 cylender. That was with their computer. Now ford wants them to pull the cab, remove the valve covers and check the compresion by hand. Hopefully they can tell me more on Monday. The truck is an 08 with 79K on it. You would think things are just starting to break in on a diesel not break. Has anyone had a similar experiance and if so what was your problem. The dealer told me worst case new motor and out of a truck for a couple of weeks but we will see what they find.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-12-2011, 01:11 AM
<<< 6.4 Powersmoke

Have them run the relative compression test several times, and to manually check compression as well (doesn't require removing the cab to check compression )

Also, a light tapping noise is normal to some degree on these trucks, and is heard more easily when driving by a wall. There is a TSB on it somewhere around here.
Old 02-12-2011, 04:57 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Thanks for the info. The tapping noise isn't the light one that some people talk about, it is fairly loud and not normal. The service wrighter said that ford wants them to remove the cab to manually check the compression. They aren't going to touch my truck until monday so I will ask them about the relative comp test and not removing the cab.
Old 02-12-2011, 05:32 PM
<<< 6.4 Powersmoke

Well if the tapping you are hearing is abnormally loud, then I can understand removing the cab. It sounds like you have a far more serious internal problem with your engine.
Old 02-12-2011, 06:15 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Well hopefully they can tell me something on monday. I hate to be without my truck for to long. I see your in Pocatello how far is that from post falls? My parents live there.
Old 02-12-2011, 06:56 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

If it needs a new motor, good luck having them warranty it w/out bustin your balls. If it is in need of replacement, their full of **** saying two weeks. I'd bet it turns into 4-5 weeks.
Old 02-12-2011, 07:22 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Ya if it comes to that I'm not holding my breath. I read on a post with someone else that needed a new motor that it was something like 2 and a half months and still without their truck. I can only hope for the best.
Old 02-12-2011, 07:24 PM
<<< 6.4 Powersmoke

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmmciver View Post
Well hopefully they can tell me something on monday. I hate to be without my truck for to long. I see your in Pocatello how far is that from post falls? My parents live there.
Post Falls is something like 8 hours away. It is in northern Idaho, so quite a ways from me. It's nice up there!

I'm actually in southern cali right now though.
Old 02-14-2011, 09:16 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Well today I found out that it needs a new cam and a lifter. They still have to do a compression check and look at other parts. If it is just a cam I was told I might get the truck back friday. More to come. If I can figure out how to post a picture I will.

Last edited by kmmciver; 02-14-2011 at 09:27 PM.
Old 02-14-2011, 09:45 PM
<<< 6.4 Powersmoke

If the lifter came apart, it might have damaged a lot of other components in the engine. Which would require EXTENSIVE engine work. Do you have any mods done to the truck?

For posting photos, I like using photobucket.

Image hosting, free photo sharing & video sharing at Photobucket
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.