Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

In the shop, hope it's not to bad

2K views 11 replies 3 participants last post by  kmmciver 
#1 ·
So yesterday I was doing some running around got home and noticed a taping sound. I had gone to the car wash so I figured something must have gotten wet. Well this morning I get home from work start it up and it was still there. I decided to take it to the shop incase it was something serious. I didn't want to make it worse by driving it around and ignoring the problem. The dealer calls me later in the day and says it has 4% low compresion in 1 cylender. That was with their computer. Now ford wants them to pull the cab, remove the valve covers and check the compresion by hand. Hopefully they can tell me more on Monday. The truck is an 08 with 79K on it. You would think things are just starting to break in on a diesel not break. Has anyone had a similar experiance and if so what was your problem. The dealer told me worst case new motor and out of a truck for a couple of weeks but we will see what they find.

#2 ·
Have them run the relative compression test several times, and to manually check compression as well (doesn't require removing the cab to check compression :doh: )

Also, a light tapping noise is normal to some degree on these trucks, and is heard more easily when driving by a wall. There is a TSB on it somewhere around here.

#3 ·
Thanks for the info. The tapping noise isn't the light one that some people talk about, it is fairly loud and not normal. The service wrighter said that ford wants them to remove the cab to manually check the compression. They aren't going to touch my truck until monday so I will ask them about the relative comp test and not removing the cab.

#4 ·
Well if the tapping you are hearing is abnormally loud, then I can understand removing the cab. It sounds like you have a far more serious internal problem with your engine.

#8 ·
Post Falls is something like 8 hours away. It is in northern Idaho, so quite a ways from me. It's nice up there!

I'm actually in southern cali right now though.

#6 ·
If it needs a new motor, good luck having them warranty it w/out bustin your balls. If it is in need of replacement, their full of **** saying two weeks. I'd bet it turns into 4-5 weeks.

#10 ·
#11 ·
No the lifter didn't come apart but the roller had some good gouges in it. As for mods 2 1/2 level kit, 35's, spartan that was on 210, fresh oil and filters. I don't drag rece the truck and the couple of times I got on it to try the new tunner it was from a slow roll. I do tow a 10k trailer several times a year but that is about it. I am thinking just a bad part. It is kind of frustrating though. I had a job 1 6.0 when it first came out and ford took it back due to so many problems. This truck was one of the first 6.4 and now this. I love the ford trucks but with the issues I have had it is frustrating.

Attachments

#12 ·
Well I found out yesterday that the cylinder with the bad cam was messed up also. Dealer tol me that they are going to put a short block in it and that everything was already ordered. I talked to the tech doing the work about the oil running a little hot when towing and he said he was going to try and get a new oil cooler put in. I was told that I might be able to get my truck back friday but I doubt that. So far so good though. Friday the 10th I took it in, monday they pulled the cab and there is a slim chance to get it back on friday the 18th. I have had nothing but good lock with this dealer in the past with my 6.0 and they have always done a good job and got it back to me quick. So friday might not be to far of a stretch.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.