191.000 on 08 6.4L waiting on word from dealer - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-31-2010, 11:24 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
191.000 on 08 6.4L waiting on word from dealer

191,000 my 08 F250 broke. At idle I had noticed a low tone sound. Thedn while hwy driving, had just regen, suddened loud thumping noise. wouldn't call it hammering. What does it sound like with melted piston? No codes and still running fine. Shut off right away and had towed to local dealer. No word yet. Waiting on the bad news. BTW only other problem was an EGR valve at about 90k miles, using Rotella full syn, changing oil every 15k. Any thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-31-2010, 11:45 PM
haters gonna hate 24/7.

thats alot of trouble free miles on that 6.4!

interested in seeing whats wrong w/ it!
Old 01-01-2011, 02:09 AM
Mod Newbie

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Hope it's nothing major. Keep us posted on the outcome.
Old 01-02-2011, 07:33 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmdf250 View Post
191,000 my 08 F250 broke. At idle I had noticed a low tone sound. Thedn while hwy driving, had just regen, suddened loud thumping noise. wouldn't call it hammering. What does it sound like with melted piston? No codes and still running fine. Shut off right away and had towed to local dealer. No word yet. Waiting on the bad news. BTW only other problem was an EGR valve at about 90k miles, using Rotella full syn, changing oil every 15k. Any thoughts?
You only change your oil every 15k miles? Yikes! I do mine every 5k miles.
Old 01-02-2011, 07:44 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

I just got my truck back from the dealer for a thumping noise and it wasn't good.
Old 01-02-2011, 08:10 AM
Powerstroke.org Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmdf250 View Post
If you check the CCV for excessive blowby, that will tell you if you have a piston problem.
Old 01-03-2011, 02:51 PM

melted piston knocks. could be valve train ie rockers or push rods, lifters. or yes an injector could be hung open and melted a piston. but it would smoke real bad if an injector was hung open and thats pretty much the only thing that will melt a piston besides overheating. Have you had a fuel system put in yet?
Old 01-03-2011, 02:52 PM

i am also pretty sure most scanners wont read a p0088 which is a dead pump code.
Old 01-03-2011, 05:29 PM

I owned a Job 1 ...08 F250 at 177K miles it was acting up when driving. It showed no code....so I drove it hard....slow/fast ...shifting using the shifter....it only then threw a code.....using my $ 60.00 scaner.....I was able to read the PO0088....code. The dealer replaced the HPFP.....under the 200K diesel motor warranty....
Old 01-06-2011, 01:35 PM

Sorry to hear of your problem. Does it sound like popping coming back thru intake? Just had my motor replaced at 117,xxx. #5 injector hung open, broke the exhaust rocker arm, bent the lift rod and melted piston in cylinder. Mine was popping for a few thousand miles prior to it going belly up. When it went it thru a "cylinder contribution code and blew thick smelly exhaust. Opened oil fill cap and had smoke pouring out of the hole. Out of warranty, Ford wanted $16K to do the job.....bought a used engine with 24,xxx miles from ebay for $4500 and the dealer charged me $3500 to put it in. Exactly half of what Ford wanted just for long block and heads and putting all of my old stuff on the engine. Instead I bought the used engine complete motor top to bottom.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.