Ford F250 6.4L engine oil loss, damage? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-30-2010, 07:44 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Ford F250 6.4L engine oil loss, damage?

Incident in need of evaluation: My 2010 F250 6.4L DPF Delete, EGR Delete, Spartan +210 HP tuned beast has a Filtrations Solutions FS2500 bypass oil filter. I made the mistake of unknowingly, errantly seating a new o-ring gasket on top of the old gasket. Watched it for 5 minutes after changing the oil and filters, no leaks observed, then drove off. Drove approx. 9 miles to eat dinner (40-60 mph), then another 3 miles at 30—40 mph (probably never exceeding 1,500 rpm). Got back to the apartment, stopped to get the mail, heard a rush of oil hitting the concrete, so I immediately shutoff the engine. Obviously, the it ain’t happenin’ gasket-to-gasket rubber seal that we’re all warned about, blew out, spewing out my $60 in new engine oil. So, I let the truck sit there overnight. Next day, I drained the oil pan (curious how much remained). About 5 quarts came out. Plus, there was ~ 1 quart on the ground. This, from 18 quarts I’d just put it in (14 miles prior). 15 quart factory system plus an additional 3 quarts with the FS2500 filter/supply lines mod.
Any thoughts on whether I damaged the engine/added excessive wear to piston rings or other components? I cut the engine off, no warning lights, no high engine temps noted. Sounded perfectly normal at time of cutoff (aside of course from the liquid dumping sound).
Does this truck have a Low Oil Pressure sensor/annunciator light, or not? Murphy cutoff switch for low oil pressure? Oddly, there is no factory oil pressure gauge installed on the dash, or programmed in on the Spartan Phalanx Tuner.
I run MotorCraft 15W-40 oil. Total mileage at time of incident last week was 16,600 Sm.
Lesson learned. Just hopin’ I didn’t reduce the life of the engine.
Two days later, I was able to get fresh oil into it. Have driven it to Dallas, TX and back since, total of maybe 1,400 miles. Runs great, sounds great, got 21.73 mpg at 66 mph turning 1,700 rpm for 294 Sm. Personal record on the fuel mileage for this truck. Not surprising, pushing it up to 80-85 mph, turns a little more than 2,000 rpm, fuel mileage drops about 25% to only 16.1 mpg. I guess that's what happens to brick walls hitting too much wind. At 70 mph, I get right at 20.0 mpg, all of this hand-calculated at the gas station pump, of course.
All these figures are empty truck, no towing.
According to the 6.4L tech bible, Lubrication section, there is a 65-psi oil pump bypass valve, and a 5-7 psi engine oil pressure (EOP) used to drive the engine oil gauge. Except, my 2010 F250 does NOT have a dash oil pressure gauge. Does this still mean Ford installed a pressure sensor as per the tech bible?
Thanks for any advice here guys. – Chuck Smock, Major, USAF, Columbus AFB MS

Last edited by dodpilot; 12-31-2010 at 05:08 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-30-2010, 07:55 PM
shhhhh, can you hear it?

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
from everything i have read about our trucks is that there is a sensor and a dummy light on the dash.so you should be good to go.if it had five quarts in it it should have still be drawing enough oil to supply the engine.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.