Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

blowing coolant from degas cap

3K views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  firefighter317 
#1 ·
my 2008 job 1 f250 with venturi t has started to blow coolant from the degas cap and even on short rides in this cold weather(ontario canada) i can hear hissing from the cap, from the posts i've read i'm thinking its egr coolers or head gaskets, is this covered under the engine warrenty ? i am running spartan 310 but would return to stock to go to dealership truck has 115000 km on it

#2 ·
theoretically yes, as long as they can't tell that the Spartan has been on it.

#3 ·
Yes it would be under warranty, BUT I work at a Ford dealer and if its under warranty, we have to get on the computer and submit an appoval form for the parts. They ask us several questions, including if it has any modifications such as chips or programmers which will void the warranty. From time to time, if they suspect something, they will send a Ford rep out and check out the vehicle. If its not too big of a problem, Id take the chip/programmer off until its fixed to save your warranty. If they see a mod on there when the tech posted there was not one, it will probably cost the tech his job and you your warranty. It all depends on how strict your dealership is I guess. But yes typically when coolant gases come out of your degas bottle, it is due to an egr cooler failure. Usually it takes a lot of ignoring an EGR problem before your head gaskets go out, but like I said, at work, even if we choose not to tell the service writers it has a chip/programmer, we wont work on them due to the fact that it messes with our scan tools. When we hook out scan tool up if its got certain mods, it can cause the truck to do wierd things, like stall out and die while were trying to retrieve KOER codes. If something needs reprogramming, with the mods on it, we've seen it actually make it worse when we tried fixing it. Also, a lot of mods will occasionally cause an overboost condition and thats usually why the head gaskets fail because of too much cylinder pressure. But yeah when the EGR cooler goes out, you will hear a hissing/howl from the degas cap, which is excess pressure bleeding off, and it will usually have white residue on the bottle. hope this helps.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.