White Smoke NOT FROM Exhaust - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-05-2010, 05:20 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
White Smoke NOT FROM Exhaust

During REGEN I've been experiencing a lot of white smoke coming from underneath the front of the truck, not from the exhaust, when I come to a stop. It smells like a dirty BBQ smoke very strong, it will come through the vents and fill the cab. It seems to be coming from underneath the right side front passenger door area.

Has anyone seen this ??

Last edited by eneranch; 12-05-2010 at 06:14 AM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-13-2010, 04:38 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

hows your coolant level? is anything loose and maybe touching the exhaust? during regen, the exhaust temps go WAY up so maybe something is touching it and only burns when regen occurs.
Old 12-14-2010, 04:50 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I was finally able to get underneath the truck without having to take it out of drive (that sometime stops the REGEN) and take a look.

Seems there is an oil leak somewhere above the exhaust, and the only time it smokes is during REGEN; next time in the shop I'll have them fix the leak.
Old 12-14-2010, 05:01 PM

glad you figured out what was happening
Old 12-15-2010, 11:31 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Mine is doing the exact same thing. The smell is awful but I don't seem to have any leaks anywhere. Where does it appear to be leaking from on yours.
Old 12-18-2010, 03:21 PM

I didn't know somebody already started a post on this. I just started a post on my truck cause its doing the same thing. I don't know what it is but I'm glad I'm not the only one thats having this problem. I wish Ford would come up with a solution, cause like you guys said, the smell is awful.
Old 12-20-2010, 02:08 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

UPDATE:

My truck took a dump last Thursday; had it loaded onto a flat bed & taken into Ford.

Got a call on Friday with the news:

The EGR Cooling System had failed and was allowing Coolant into the Engine Oil or Engine Oil into the Coolant; in turn damaging the Oil Cooler & possibly the Intake Manifold. Evidently the fix will take at least 13 Hours of shop time.The white smoke I was seeing was caused by Oil-Tainted-Coolant leaking from somewhere in the EGR System and falling onto the Exhaust System; during REGEN the extreme temperatures would cause this fluid to produce white smoke.

I just got off the phone with Ford for a 2nd Update : The whole Intake Manifold & connecting gear had to be removed and thoroughly cleaned to be sure all of the burned-waste oil/coolant was gone & during the Tear-Down process the Technician noticed large amounts of Soot forming on the outside & inside of the Tubing connecting the Inter-cooler to the Turbos - evidently to fix this problem one has to drop-the-tranny to access the system.

Soooo - I am told the truck should be ready sometime Tomorrow; that's assuming they can find & fix the Intermittent Cruise Control Problem I've been experiencing for the last year.

If anyone else is experiencing White Smoke coming from under the Firewall Area and filling the Cab - take it to Ford; they have seen this before.

Last edited by eneranch; 12-20-2010 at 02:25 PM.
Old 12-26-2010, 08:04 PM

well in that case, ford told you backwards. the oil cooler took out the egr cooler. The oil cooler becomes restriced, causing the egr cooler to fail because the coolant flow goes from the oil cooler to the egr cooler next. usually when that happens, there will be white residue around the degas bottle cap and you can usually hear a low howl on deceleration which is pressurized cooling system gas escaping from under the degas bottle cap. wish I couldve told you sooner. glad you got it fixed tho
Old 01-03-2011, 08:05 AM

if the egr cooler blows coolant gets hot and will take out the oil cooler.i have replaced many egr coolers and had no oil cooler problems.it doesnt matter what is before what it all still runs through the same system
Old 01-03-2011, 01:41 PM

also i have noticed when oil cooler goes out the front cover is cavitatied. the cooler gets clogged and blows due to metal from the front cover.either the cover is also bad now or it has been recently replaced.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.