Need Help! Loosing coolant - can't figure out where it is going! - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-21-2010, 05:45 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Need Help! Loosing coolant - can't figure out where it is going!

I know there has been a couple of threads about this, but I have not found anyone who has posted the solution.

Here is my story:

I bought an 08 F350 CC Diesel in April with 35000 miles on it. When I changed the oil at 40,000 miles, I noticed coolant was low. I have not seen any evidence nor smelled anything, so I added to bring it up to the middle of the marks. Then I marked the level with a magic marker. Sure enough, the level would drop about 1/16" every week or so.

I brought it to the dealer, they pressure tested it and said there is no leak.

The day after I got it back from the dealer, I noticed antifreeze on the garage floor - radiator started leaking.

Brought it back in and they replaced the radiator (not under warantee) $950.

So now I have a brand new radiator, but I am still losing the same amount of coolant as before - no smell, no antifreeze on the floor.

Does anyone have any idea where I should look next?? The truck runs fine and does not produce any white smoke.

Thanks in advance as I am stumped!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-21-2010, 09:22 AM

I would think...the is a issue with collant leaking into the motor....EGR is going bad. A friend of mine had this happen, the motor was replaced the truck on had 59k miles. Good luck in resolving this problem .....keep us posted...
Old 11-21-2010, 10:03 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Thanks for the reply. When you say EGR going bad - do you mean the EGR coolers or the valve itself - mine has the water cooled EGR valve? The dealer said they pressure checked the system and the coolers are good (so they say....)
Old 11-21-2010, 10:13 AM
IBEW Journeyman Lineman

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Sorry to not be able to help. Just curious why they didn't replace the radiator under warranty?
Old 11-21-2010, 11:20 AM

If your loosing coolant and it's not on the ground, I would think it has to be the EGR cooler. Is there some way to get a sample of the oil....test the sample for coolant. I have not had this issue with my truck.....but it has it's forth radiator in it....you radiator should have been covered under the warranty....100K engine warranty.....you need to check on that ....good luck...
Old 11-21-2010, 12:08 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoke2008 View Post
If your loosing coolant and it's not on the ground, I would think it has to be the EGR cooler. Is there some way to get a sample of the oil....test the sample for coolant. I have not had this issue with my truck.....but it has it's forth radiator in it....you radiator should have been covered under the warranty....100K engine warranty.....you need to check on that ....good luck...
I don't get why I was charged for the radiator, but dealer says rad is not covered by 100k warrantee. I have an oil test coming this week so I should know if it is going into the engine
Old 11-22-2010, 04:01 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Radiators are not covered under the engine warranty unless it is thermostat problem. TSB out on this has became even tighter for dealers. Many radiator issues have been reported and currently nobody is able to make an aftermarket radiator until Ford releases the rights for this. Check out this link.Dropped her off at stealership
Old 11-22-2010, 04:45 PM
Powerstroke Techie

Feedback Score: 4 reviews
take a look under your hood around the rad hoses and egr coolant hoses. you'll have telltale white residue anywhere there's a leak. a lot of times you can have a small leak and nothing will ever hit the ground.

also keep checking your level for the next couple days. it's common to still have a little air that needs worked out after any cooling system repair. you'll never get it all out on the first shot.........even using a radkitplus isn't always failsafe.

anytime you suspect an egr cooler leaking you can pull out the EGRT on the top of the vertical EGR cooler....... any wetness on the sensor is a good indication of a leaking cooler.
Old 11-24-2010, 04:43 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I will check this out. A more immediate problem has popped up now - the vacuum operated auto hubs are not working and we have snow. I am beginning to wish for my 2003 6.0 back....
Old 11-26-2010, 07:01 AM

loosing antifreeze

The radiator hose on the driver side of the motor on top of the engine is a common problem its a hose about 2" in diameter it runs from top of radiator down in front of reservoir also under the truck there's a big hose that runs from the passenger side of truck to the the drivers side its a two piece hose the second part runs up to the water pump it leaks at the connection of the water pump that's the other two places too look they are little clips that pull out f.y.I. if you have to change either one of those drain the radiator it makes one damn big mess if you don't!!!!!!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.