2008 6.4L Exhaust Leak Noise - Help Identify? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-10-2010, 04:20 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Question 2008 6.4L Exhaust Leak Noise - Help Identify?

I have an "exhaust leak/raspy" type noise which is heard from the engine between 1500 and 2000 rpm and there is a load on the engine. Engine temp makes no difference now, but it did start out as more of a cold engine noise. It does seem to be getting a bit louder over time.

The noise started around 40k and the truck now has 51k on it, with about 43k on the Spartan 210 tune. I am running a straight back 4" Magnaflow exhaust and factory air filter/intake. I have tried the 75hp tune as well as the stock no-regen tune and the noise is the same with both of the other tunes. I do not have nor have I ever run the higher tunes and I do not race the truck. 10% of the miles are towing a 12k 5th wheel and the rest are mostly highway commuting type miles.

The dealer hears the noise and has looked for an exhaust leak several times including all the up pipes while my rear main seal was being replaced and the tranny was out. They have also replaced the EGR valve at my request, because it was starting to stick a little. There are no codes, I am not loosing antifreeze, and it seems to build full boost.

I am including a video where the noise can be heard. The exhaust seems to mask the noise a bit in the video. In reality, the exhaust is much quieter and the noise is more prevalent.

My next step is to return everything to stock and try a different dealer?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-11-2010, 03:55 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Wow, several days and no comments... Do y'all not hear the noise or do you just think it's normal?

Any chance this could be something like worn rocker arms? I understand this is common, but I have no idea what that sounds like.
Old 11-14-2010, 03:09 PM
<<< 6.4 Powersmoke

Mine makes the exact same sounds. I am told it is just injector rattle, but I agree it sounds strange.
Old 11-16-2010, 04:58 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Thanks for the reply. I have returned the truck to completely stock and the noise is still there. It may even be a bit louder...

The dealer I've been going to doesn't seem to want to do anything with it, so I guess I'll try another.

It may not hurt anything, but it drives me crazy and is not something I want to live with forever. I'm gonna have this truck a long time...

I wonder if it is injector rattle, is there a way to shut off one injector at a time and see if the noise goes away? It would be nice to track down which one or ones have the issue.
Old 11-16-2010, 08:27 AM
Powerstroke.org Sponsor

If you have IDS you can shut one injector off at a time.
Old 11-19-2010, 04:10 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Well, I'm going to ride with the diesel tech sometime after Thanksgiving. The service writer feels that it is normal, but it drives me crazy. Makes me feel like I'm driving a 250k gas engine truck with an exhaust leak.
Old 11-19-2010, 12:17 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

I have the same sort of sound. It is not a normal sound in my opinion. I thought the same thing that I feel like my odometer is about 200k miles off and I'm clapping and blowing air down the road. I've requested a ride with a tech as well. Just turned over 30k miles btw.
Old 06-03-2011, 07:40 AM
Dont Mess With Texas!

kind of old thread but i am hearing the same noise almost, doesnt matter what tune i run all the way down to stock and all the way up to the 300 tune, sounds like a wicked exhaust leak gets really loud around 2100 rpm, but once my mini maxx tuner locks up the tuner at 45 mph it goes away?
i dont think its the torque convertor though because it does it if im in park and rev up the engine also

but it sounds like **** and i hate it!!!!!
Old 06-03-2011, 07:49 AM
Dont Mess With Texas!

also i read a few other threads similar to this and they were thinking the up pipe might be the cause of this noise? does that sound like something that could make this happen?
Old 06-03-2011, 08:13 AM
Let's Run'em

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Send a message via AIM to TwinTurboStroker
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThirdCoastStroker View Post
also i read a few other threads similar to this and they were thinking the up pipe might be the cause of this noise? does that sound like something that could make this happen?
If it is the up-pipe you will be able to tell cuz there will be black smoke on the firewall/engine from where the expansion joint is........I had to change my up-pipe on the passenger side of my first 6.4.....and you want to talk about a pain in the azz
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.