Suddenly the 6.0's look good! - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-03-2010, 08:18 AM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Suddenly the 6.0's look good!

The 6.4 will never make the 500,000 mile mark like my 6.9 did. And, I will put the farm on the fact that diesel engines will lose the concept of dumping fuel into the dead (exhaust) stroke of the engine in the near future. That being said, we are stuck with a very bad design if we play by the rules. Ford needs to retro-fit our trucks. When I spent my money on this thing it was based on my prior experience with the 6.9. We need Ford to reprogram the 6.4 to stop washing out the cylinders and possibly add a fuel injector in the exhaust stream prior to the DPF. I paid a ton of money to buy something that will only run 20% of the miles that my old one did. We got took and need an attorney here!

Our oil is crap after 1000 miles? OMG!

DPF-R "THE" DPF DELETE
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-03-2010, 08:51 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

strongly agreed. Mine is in the shop for regen related items right now. (29,000 miles)

Last edited by kevinah; 11-03-2010 at 09:15 AM.
Old 11-03-2010, 09:08 AM

A friend who is a Ford diesel tech has told me this: as bad as the 6.0's are, the 6.4's are worse.
Old 11-03-2010, 09:09 AM

These trucks cost a lot of money to have a flaw like this. Heck I sold my 6.9 in 2001 with 500,000 miles and it's still running. The 6.4 is a great engine that is forced into rapid wear because of diluted oil. I've never broken the law but it kills me to think my engine is being washed out with fuel and worn out. And trust me, Ford knew about this. They took a cheaper way out and pushed extra fuel into the engine. It would have cost more to develop an extra injector or two that could survive in the exhaust stream and not soot up when being activated only when required. Easier said than done. It would be more like a fuel nozzle in a jet engine than a fine injector. My jet engines have them and do fine. I'm seriously thinking of something illegal because Ford sold me something that is not fit for it's intended use.
Old 11-03-2010, 09:14 AM

I have had great experiences with 7.3s in the past, and I knew, for the most part, what I was getting into when i bought my used 6.0. That being said, if something doesn't change, my next truck will probably be a Ford gasser. I'm not impressed by the 6.4 and refuse to pay $50k plus for a 6.7. If the the 6.7 proves reliable/durable, then I may very well find a used one in a couple of years.
Old 11-03-2010, 09:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snake View Post
A friend who is a Ford diesel tech has told me this: as bad as the 6.0's are, the 6.4's are worse.
The 6.0's are good when sorted out. And they don't contend with fuel being shot in during the exhaust stoke. My stupid truck always goes into regen while climbing a steep two mile grade to my house. Under a load, the back pressure goes up and she regens. The last thing I want to do is find a place in Socal to drive my truck around at 45mph when I want to go home. It's just a crappy idea. All of this for a little soot? I never see my neighbors 6.0 smoking and he doesn't have this crap on his. Is the little soot worth all the wasted fuel and destroyed engines?
Old 11-03-2010, 09:23 AM

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
A lil unnecessary bashing of the 6.4 I see?? lol.
Well like you said, the 6.0s are good when sorted out.
The same is applicable to the 6.4s. All you gotta do is get a Spartan/H&S and
a new piece of pipe.. Problem solved and you've got a truck that can make over 500hp.
Old 11-03-2010, 09:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by azkcr View Post
A lil unnecessary bashing of the 6.4 I see?? lol.
Well like you said, the 6.0s are good when sorted out.
The same is applicable to the 6.4s. All you gotta do is get a Spartan/H&S and
a new piece of pipe.. Problem solved and you've got a truck that can make over 500hp.
You are exactly correct but what about the inspections now in SoCal? I think you need to be stealth and gut the stock dpf then toss a tune on it to stop the regen. We have to pass a visual here.
Old 11-03-2010, 09:29 AM

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Aaaah.. Ya, gutting the DPF would be a chore but worth it. But sounds like you're only option if you don't wanna have to switch exhausts every year.
Old 11-03-2010, 11:12 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Takes me less than an hour to switch from my DPF/Cat delete pipe back to the stock stuff if needed.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.