Pukes coolant bad when tuned but doesn't when stock. - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-28-2010, 02:38 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Pukes coolant bad when tuned but doesn't when stock.

I have a 2008 6.4 powerstroke job 1. It pukes coolant pretty bad when I get on it with the spartan 275 tune, I haven't noticed any loss of power, boost loss, or white smoke from exhuast. I put the stock tune without DPF and I can't get it to puke I tried doing everything I do on the 275 tune to get it to do it without success, what gives? Is the egr flash boiling the the coolant when the egr acts as a waste gate? I was told a head gasket will show bad even tuned stock. Also should I get the coolant flushed and put some ford coolant in it? I mixed the coolant with the prestone 50/50 green stuff and will this cause the problem? I read on here that it could cause cavitation and will cavitation cause puking? All suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-28-2010, 08:34 PM
<<< 6.4 Powersmoke

You need to pressure test the cooling system for one. They also make a combustion gas leak tester, which checks for combustion gases in the cooling system. Oh yeah, the green coolant is incorrect for these engines, and can potentially cause problems as well.
Amazon Amazon

Last edited by dieselkane; 10-28-2010 at 08:38 PM. Reason: Added link
Old 11-06-2010, 05:49 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Ok I think I figured it out. The other coolant I was adding was the cause, I flushed the system and added the gold ****, 50/50 mix with distilled water and it all stopped. I was beating on it with the 310 tune with no problems. I guess the other coolant was causing cavitation problems and putting air bubbles in the coolant allowing it to flash. I notcied the coolant was aerated in the coolant bottle before I changed it. I guess the tunes were allowing the motor to spin up quickly and the other coolant was cavitating.
Old 11-06-2010, 05:55 AM
Illiana Chapter Director

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
I'd still pressure check the system. I've had a couple friends run 250, 275 and 310 tunes and it only pukes on the 275. MattP had the issues you described and it ended up being head gaskets.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.