Belt/Belt Tensioner Help Please - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-05-2010, 07:59 AM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Belt/Belt Tensioner Help Please

So right now I'm out of the country for quite some time. I go back in a week but I've been gone for awhile so my uncle is currently driving it every other week for a day just to keep parts moving. Well he called the other day saying that he started it up and then heard a slight knocking noise then shut it off. He got out and took a look at under the hood and below the engine to see what was going on to which he found small chunks of rubber under the engine. He said it looks like it came off the belt and I haven't seen a picture of the chunks but that's the only thing I could think of. He did say he looked at the belt and gave it a pull and it was still intact. Since then he hasn't driven it since. However, I'm going to be back next week and I already set an appointment up with the dealer I usually go to. The only problem is the dealer I go to is an hour away from my uncle's house. So my dilemma is if it is safe to drive the truck to the dealer with the belt if he saw chunks of rubber under the engine? I really don't want to be stranded on the side of the road. I talked to the service guy at the dealership and he said with the belt intact I should be able to get it there. But if the belt is to break then do I have no power steering, power brakes, water pump, and alternator? The service guy also said more then likely that theres a tensioner that's bad.

Just wondering if anyone else has had a similar problem with the tensioner and belt.

Any responses would be appricated. Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-05-2010, 08:01 AM

Another question: What are the chances of the belt actually breaking while driving? Is it worth the risk?

Thanks again.
Old 10-05-2010, 08:07 AM

when you get home look it over, if it was the belt replace it. For the few bucks a belt costs far outweighs the risk of overheating or losing the brakes when the belt goes. As for the week of waiting it shouldnt be of any concern. Easy fix.
Old 10-05-2010, 08:22 AM

Ok, I'm replacing the belt for sure, I'm wondering if its safe to drive for the hour drive to the dealership? Thank you for the response though
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.