WHITE SMOKE IN THE RAIN - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-29-2010, 05:54 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
WHITE SMOKE IN THE RAIN

Whats up with the 6.4 pouring out white smoke in the rain? Driving 30 miles in the rain pulled over in a parking lot didnt turn truck off pulled out truck starts pouring out white smoke and motor is shuttering like its running out of fuel. Take the truck to dealer told nothing wrong with truck no codes but this may happen again in the rain. What the hell Will Ford ever make a truck that you can pull a trailer with that wont have a problem. Nothing wrong with the truck but it may happen again in the rain. How stupid does that sound? It pisses me off. Went through the crap with my 6.0 spent thousands of dollars to fix it with aftermarket stuff didnt work. Sold the truck lost my ***. Now the 6.4 cant pull in the rain. The Duramax is looking better all the time..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-29-2010, 06:22 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankat1 View Post
Whats up with the 6.4 pouring out white smoke in the rain? Driving 30 miles in the rain pulled over in a parking lot didnt turn truck off pulled out truck starts pouring out white smoke and motor is shuttering like its running out of fuel. Take the truck to dealer told nothing wrong with truck no codes but this may happen again in the rain. What the hell Will Ford ever make a truck that you can pull a trailer with that wont have a problem. Nothing wrong with the truck but it may happen again in the rain. How stupid does that sound? It pisses me off. Went through the crap with my 6.0 spent thousands of dollars to fix it with aftermarket stuff didnt work. Sold the truck lost my ***. Now the 6.4 cant pull in the rain. The Duramax is looking better all the time..
Pretty simple fix....there is a TSB on this...charge air cooler...hesitation + fuel smoke
Old 09-29-2010, 06:32 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Had the dealer swap out my intercooler two days ago because of this. It would shutter and blow white smoke after using cruise, shutting cruise off and coasting behind a slow car, then punching the throttle down. It would shutter pretty bad, smoke alot, lasted about 5 seconds or so. Did it many times before I researched and found this problem. Haven't verified it since no rain lately.
Old 09-29-2010, 06:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LFD132 View Post
Pretty simple fix....there is a TSB on this...charge air cooler...hesitation + fuel smoke
Told Ford about the TSB Dealer said my truck had the updated air box. 2009 Truck.
Old 09-30-2010, 01:43 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankat1 View Post
Sorry to hear your having this problem. My 2008 6.4 had the same problem, dealer did the "CAC" TSB, this did not resolve the issue. Had the truck in the dealer shop numerous times after they installed the updated "CAC", for the same problem. Dealer said they could not duplicate the problem, I asked them how far did they drive the truck to try to re-create the condition?, they said only a few miles, I told them that was not far enough to re-create the issue and they told me due to their insurance guidelines they can only drive a customer's vehicle a certain distance. Since they could not duplicate the problem, there was nothing they could do.
While reading other posts about this condition, some other 6.4 owners installed the "Banks" intercooler and said this fixed the problem, but they did not say what climate they operate their truck in. I live in the Florida Keys where it's always wet and humid, and I could not afford spending 1400 bucks for the "Banks" IC, to see if that would have corrected the problem.
Even though my 6.4 was still under warranty, and the dealer saying they could not duplicate the problem, I felt like I had my hands tied.

Well, I recently bit the bullet and 2 years of invested payments, and traded my 2008 with only 22k miles on it for a 2011 6.7.
I didn't want to do it, my 2008 was a beautiful truck, but I felt the "Loss of Power" issue was a safety issue, so I traded for the 2011.
I can tell you that the 2011 6.7 is a phonomenal engine (so far) with 4k miles on it right now, and yesterday drove 140 miles in Tropical Storm "Nicole" heavy heavy rain, and a couple of times when the rain would let up enough to see a little ways down the road, when I went to pass a another, the engine performed flawlessly, no hesitation or anything.

You asked in your post if Ford will ever make a truck that can pull a trailer without any problems?.....I would now say Yes.....if finances allow, go give a 2011 a test drive. Also, check out the 2011 forums, so far there have been very few complaints, with maybe only 1 or 2 being engine related and those being minimul issues.
Old 10-01-2010, 08:09 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Mine did it during the heavy rains in MD from tropical storm Nicole. Thought the EGR valve went again, but remembered this problem
Old 10-05-2010, 06:13 AM

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
I am in Maryland too and just started having the White Smoke problem with engine shutter. We haven't had rain in a long time and then wham about two weeks ago we started having tons of rain. I haven't had any problems with my '08 job two until the rains started. When I first start, tons of white smoke for about .2 miles and then nothing. I was towing this weekend in the rain and cruising, punched the accelerator and got a shutter and white smoke for 5 seconds. It just started doing this 2 weeks ago.
Old 10-05-2010, 05:05 PM

Ford put in new PCM said that was the problem. I sure hope so. Will tow the trailer again next weekend. I would have never thought I would wish for rain while towing. Hope it pours down to see if its fixed.
Old 10-05-2010, 05:14 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Green,
Do you still have the original EGR valve or have you had it replaced? Mine went early. I have the latest flash and think the intercooler needs the TSB done
Old 10-05-2010, 05:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shinny View Post
Green,
Do you still have the original EGR valve or have you had it replaced? Mine went early. I have the latest flash and think the intercooler needs the TSB done
Yes original EGR valve still in new PCM latest flash
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.