2008 6.4 Missing or Running Rough at 1700rpm's - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-25-2010, 07:19 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
2008 6.4 Missing or Running Rough at 1700rpm's

I have a 2008 with 120,000 miles on it. The other day i decided to run the rpm's up on it with the truck in park. When i got between 1600 and 1700 the engine started running rough. Anything below or above does rpm's the engine runs smooth. It only in that rpm range. Fuel rail pressure is holding steady at about 8200. I changed tunes to see if that would help. No luck. I went from the 275 and installed the 210. Also there is no check engine light that comes on. I thought maybe a bad injector but its not trowing a code. Has anyone ever come across this. I am trying to figure out if i have a problem that about to get serious. Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-30-2010, 11:15 AM
Premium Member

I just got back from putting my truck in the shop again. Mine was doing the same thing but the truck sounded like it was miss firing and shake. I had no power in that range but if I got past it I would be ok but it didnt sound right. I'll post again when I hear back from the dealer.
Old 09-30-2010, 12:26 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Let me know. With my truck i dont notice it when i am driving. I only notice it when the truck is in park. When i slowley bring the rpm's up to about 1700 the engine sound like it has a misfire and i get no check engine light. Anything over about 1730 and anything below 1700 it runs perfect.
Old 10-05-2010, 01:37 PM
Premium Member

Well I called the Dealership today and they havent even looked at my truck yet. I thought he was joking so I drove by and it is still parked were I left it in the fire lane. Man I hope I dont get a ticket.
Old 10-09-2010, 06:33 AM
Premium Member

Well just heard back from the Dealership, it has metal shavings in the injector number one making it stick open. There is also metal shavings in the whole fuel rail, so this will be a full fuel system replacement. Bad thing is they just did that for the same reson 8 weeks ago. They think the new fuel cooler had the metal shavings in it. They have 2 other trucks with the same problem in frount of me so I am looking at 2 weeks out.
Old 08-06-2011, 08:22 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

I know this thread is old but does anyone know how you would diagnose this problem as an injector without any codes? My 08 has a similar problem at about 1100 rpm, no codes, and if I shut the individual injectors off one at a time the rpm drops the same across all cylinders. I don't want to just go throwing parts at it but I'm stumped.
Old 08-06-2011, 02:40 PM
Banned

Send a message via AIM to PowerstrokeTech82787
Quote:
Originally Posted by artiecourville View Post
I have a 2008 with 120,000 miles on it. The other day i decided to run the rpm's up on it with the truck in park. When i got between 1600 and 1700 the engine started running rough. Anything below or above does rpm's the engine runs smooth. It only in that rpm range. Fuel rail pressure is holding steady at about 8200. I changed tunes to see if that would help. No luck. I went from the 275 and installed the 210. Also there is no check engine light that comes on. I thought maybe a bad injector but its not trowing a code. Has anyone ever come across this. I am trying to figure out if i have a problem that about to get serious. Thanks
TO you and Coffaro I have a PC/ED in front of me, Go to where the vertical egr cooler is, and youll see the fuel filter secondary fuel filter has an electronic PSI sensor in the bottom of the bowl, Unplug it, remove the sensor and install a regular fuel pressure gauge, Turn the key on and let the fuel pump run for 30 seconds. It should have between 6-8psi.

Now to You with the tuner, Never mind what the current PSI is look at FRPDES pid. Just because its churning 8200 psi which is LOW doesnt mean jack, you may have only a peak of 8200 psi when its calling for 12000+ And i have replaced HPFPs for this issue at 15-1900rpm wot its like theres a rev limiter on it. Some have thrown codes for P0088 and i cant remember the FRP pressure low code or thrown no codes at all and the new HPFP is the cure. some its just a matter of the HMFC being at fault starving it for fuel or plugged fuel filters. Aftermarket filters will slaughter a 6.4 HPFP and they do so by starving it for fuel becomming plugged up quicker etc etc.
Old 08-06-2011, 08:53 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by PowerstrokeTech82787 View Post
Now to You with the tuner, Never mind what the current PSI is look at FRPDES pid. Just because its churning 8200 psi which is LOW doesnt mean jack, you may have only a peak of 8200 psi when its calling for 12000+ And i have replaced HPFPs for this issue at 15-1900rpm wot its like theres a rev limiter on it. Some have thrown codes for P0088 and i cant remember the FRP pressure low code or thrown no codes at all and the new HPFP is the cure. some its just a matter of the HMFC being at fault starving it for fuel or plugged fuel filters. Aftermarket filters will slaughter a 6.4 HPFP and they do so by starving it for fuel becomming plugged up quicker etc etc.
This tip directed at me? I was shutting injectors off and checking rpm drop but on my Genisys Evo Scanner, not my tuner but I'm guessing same difference? Anyway, you seem to know your stuff, I will definitely try what you suggest. The weird thing is the truck accelerates pretty well with exception to the vibration/miss. Doesn't feel like anything is starving it for fuel. Thanks for the info.
Old 08-06-2011, 08:56 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Oh and noticed your sig.....do yourself a favor, buy the CTS-V. My father in law has one and that thing is badass!! Best of both worlds, luxury and performance....
Old 08-06-2011, 09:19 PM
Banned

Send a message via AIM to PowerstrokeTech82787
Quote:
Originally Posted by iaknown View Post
Oh and noticed your sig.....do yourself a favor, buy the CTS-V. My father in law has one and that thing is badass!! Best of both worlds, luxury and performance....
Yeah i want an older one 05 or so, Dont care for the new body style and its a toss up between the CTSV or the old school deville. Both are the same money and the old school coupe deville is sweet. if i went with the old school cadi id air bag it and run duals exiting under the 1/4s no muffler, resonator, cat just straight pipe from the manifolds maybe glasspacks somewheres inbetween the manifolds and tips. But I like the concept of a 4 door corvette.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.