Intermittent white smoke and 250 kms or 155 miles per tank ???? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-20-2010, 06:25 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Intermittent white smoke and 250 kms or 155 miles per tank ????

I have a 2008 f350 King Ranch this thing eats diesel like nothing Iíve ever seen. Itís completely stock. I have a couple of these trucks but this one easily consumes triple the amount of diesel then the others. Its smokes white only once in a while but its starting to be more and more frequent but the weird part is im not loosing coolant. I have done a complete short block lately and replaced both EGR coolers I've also done the intercooler TSB. The truck runs fine and doesnít throw and codes or anything. There is no way it can be using this much diesel. I get 250 kms or 155 miles on a full tank with the truck empty and not pulling anything. Also lately its been stinking more and more. if i'm stoped at a light with the windows down you smell the diesel stink right away. Any ideas??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-20-2010, 08:32 AM

No expert here, but sounds like you're grossly overfueling. Stuck in REGEN? Bad injector failed open but that would give you driveability issues. Maybe a leak in one of your fuel filters, line, tank? Just pitching some ideas at you, sorry to hear about that. 155 miles on a tank is almost unbelievable, I get about 500 pulling 15k. You might want to get a friend to drive behind you at a varity of speeds to see if they notice anything; smells, smoke, diesel spray on their windshield. Have you checked your oil level to see if diesel might be mixing in which seems to be a problem. I'm sure a tech will jump in here at some point to help you further. I would say it seems to be a matter for your dealer though.
Old 09-20-2010, 10:53 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

I've got the smoke problem, but my stealer told me it was water leaking internally. Mine will smoke like no other for a block or so then stop. The service manager says it's not that uncommon. No warning lights either.
Old 09-20-2010, 04:34 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Yeah I also think it’s over fuelling of some sort or injectors because both my EGR coolers where changed approx 2 months ago. I decided to drop it off at the dealer and let them tear it apart. As I’m not going to drive a truck that is costing me roughly 1 dollar a min to drive. I will keep you guys posted on what comes of it. But I’m still interested in any ideas or comments.
Thanks Mark
Old 09-20-2010, 08:51 PM
<<< 6.4 Powersmoke

You definitely have a problem. I get 400+ miles out of a tank of fuel, however I am tuned. Still, 150 miles to a tank is PITIFUL! You definitely have a problem with over-fueling, at least that's what it sounds like. Get it checked out right away. Have the dealer test your injectors. Run power balance, and relative-compression.
Old 09-21-2010, 02:52 AM

my truck does it as well, regens all the time and white smoke pours out, but i am loosing coolent, and when my truck regens for 7 days strait i get 150 miles per tank, i checked my oil the other day its about 6 inches up on the stick oil/fuel soup i hope mine blows up soon
Old 09-21-2010, 05:20 AM
<<< 6.4 Powersmoke

Quote:
Originally Posted by jls48066 View Post
my truck does it as well, regens all the time and white smoke pours out, but i am loosing coolent, and when my truck regens for 7 days strait i get 150 miles per tank, i checked my oil the other day its about 6 inches up on the stick oil/fuel soup i hope mine blows up soon
That's crazy. It's not going to last long with that much fuel in it.
Old 10-07-2010, 08:29 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I had the same problem with the white smoke, took it to the dealer, there was a recall to reprogram the ECM. its never done it since. I installed a DPF delete pipe and got rid of the catalytic converter and installed SCT programming kit and get 550km to a tank pulling a 35ft fifth wheel. Got it bumped up to 400hp. Goes like hell.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.