DEAD 2008 @ 118K 3 weeks after DPF/CAT delete and Spartan Tuner - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-12-2010, 12:02 AM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
DEAD 2008 @ 118K 3 weeks after DPF/CAT delete and Spartan Tuner

My trip from hell out west. 2900 miles from home in Elko, NV my girl has had enough. Started smoking half way up the mountain, keep in mind I was only towing about 7500lb at 66mph. She was running so good until that, getting 20.8mpg and not straining at all to keep 66mph at any grade. Took it to Gallagher Ford in Elko, diagnosis without tearing in to her is two dead cylinders probably started with an injector that had failed in the "open" position. Until then it was throwing the regular turbo codes for boost performance and turbo position sensor and an occassional egr insufficient flow code when at idle for too long. I had only done the Spartan/Dpf delete because Dpf clogged at 103K and Ford wanted $2800.00 to replace. I thought I had found the solution at $1400.00 to eliminate DPF and increase MPG's. Well, now I will not have my money maker for 3 weeks and a best case scenario if it only needs short block $7200.00. Who knows maybe its not the tuner at all but it seems kind of fishy and of course no help from Ford at all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-13-2010, 11:08 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

I think there was someone else on here that had problems with the injectors and it was not caused by the tune.
Old 09-13-2010, 11:51 AM
<<< 6.4 Powersmoke

I've been tuned for over 30k miles and haven't had any tune related issues, other than my EGR valve. I am sorry to hear about your problems, that is really unfortunate! I don't think it was because of the tuner though.
Old 09-13-2010, 12:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kawboy2020 View Post
My trip from hell out west. 2900 miles from home in Elko, NV my girl has had enough. Started smoking half way up the mountain, keep in mind I was only towing about 7500lb at 66mph. She was running so good until that, getting 20.8mpg and not straining at all to keep 66mph at any grade. Took it to Gallagher Ford in Elko, diagnosis without tearing in to her is two dead cylinders probably started with an injector that had failed in the "open" position. Until then it was throwing the regular turbo codes for boost performance and turbo position sensor and an occassional egr insufficient flow code when at idle for too long. I had only done the Spartan/Dpf delete because Dpf clogged at 103K and Ford wanted $2800.00 to replace. I thought I had found the solution at $1400.00 to eliminate DPF and increase MPG's. Well, now I will not have my money maker for 3 weeks and a best case scenario if it only needs short block $7200.00. Who knows maybe its not the tuner at all but it seems kind of fishy and of course no help from Ford at all.
Man that S U C K S, being out of warranty These 6.4 scare the chit out of me
Old 09-13-2010, 12:34 PM

Send a message via AIM to jhaddox
i dont think its because of the tuner...there are how many people running these tuners...i think it was just a coincidence...and injector failed and stuck open...dumping fuel, washing a cylinder
Old 09-13-2010, 01:45 PM

I'm hoping its not the tuner because once its fixed I will be driving with the tuner once again. My DPF was completely clogged so I threw away and sold my CAT. Ford tech can't say one way or another either. This has been a very traumatic experience, I have a trailer in the back of the dealership with $300,000.00 worth of cars on it and I won't be able to deliver them for atleast 3 weeks. I guess its easier to point at the tuner than admit its another Ford f*** up. This has put a real hurt on me financially but the truck has to be fixed, its literally worth nothing on trade the way it sits. I tried that route while there they wanted to give me $5k for it when I spent $45K 2 years ago on her. I was desperate but not quite that desperate. Oh well, just hopelessly depressed and frustrated with the whole scenario right now. Thanks guys for the moral support.
Old 09-13-2010, 01:59 PM
COME ON...ONE TIME!!

you could see what they will give you AFTER the engine is repaired. might be worth something more than 5k then.

as said before, more than likely the tuner wasnt the problem. thousands of spartan tuners out there. and not that many issues like yours. I hate that for you bro. really sucks!!!!
Old 09-13-2010, 03:39 PM

where you stuck at?
Old 09-13-2010, 03:44 PM

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
I wish you hadn't thrown away the DPF, I'm looking for a cheap one to gut and use as a stealth delete pipe.
Old 09-13-2010, 04:40 PM
Warheads on Foreheads

sucks man, sorry to hear this!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.