2010 6.4 missing or rough @idle - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-29-2010, 07:38 PM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Question 2010 6.4 missing or rough @idle

I've been doing a lot of reading through the forums but haven't found any help, so this is what's going on...

First off its got 9,900 miles on it. I've changed the oil twice using Ford Powerstroke oil. Have not changed fuel filters as of yet. NO mods... I've got a Superchips programmer but I'm afraid to put it on for fear of screwing my warranty.

I've yet to have ANY issues with this truck... although I can't remember the last time it did the regen... (that's got me a bit worried.) I've run Lucas in every tank of fuel.

Went out today and got in, started it up and it ran like $hit... felt like it was missing / sputtering at idle. Gave it some pedal and rpms climed but sputtering remained. Drove the truck down the road... running it pretty hard.... and it cleared up some. Truck is still running a bit strange and I feel a slight power loss.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-29-2010, 08:42 PM
Premium Member

Bump... anyone?
Old 08-30-2010, 03:52 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Morning bump. I hope someone chimes in soon b/c mine is doing the same thing just not as bad. When I'm in drive but stopped its like it almost starts doing a "lope idle". just started this morning on the way to work.
Old 08-30-2010, 04:47 AM
Powerstroke.org Sponsor

With less than 10K on the clock, I'd go to the dealer.
Old 08-30-2010, 05:39 PM
Powerstroke Techie

^^^ What he said...

These things can be kinda troublesome to diagnose without the right tools, and most guys don't have the right stuff at home.
Old 08-31-2010, 12:41 AM
Premium Member

Thanks for the replies. I called around today for pricing on changing the fuel filters. Ford wanted $125 installed for both filters. The local quick lube chanrged me $89 and used motorcraft filters. I know it's only $35 difference but hey... that's 35 bucks man! I looked at the filter that was pulled from under the hood and it was pretty much clean. There was a light colored ring towards the bottom half of the filter but they told me that in comparrison to most of the filters that they had pulled from the 6.4's... this was "like new". Truck is back to normal now... although I drove 2hrs to work today (b-4 filters changed) at interstate speeds and it cleared up so I'm not sure what the hell was going on. Still has yet to go into regen... and I really can't remember the last time it did. I wish I had the option to put the truck into regen myself. If it wouldn't jack my damn warranty.... I'd have that freaking exhaust cut off and my tuner on it... but I'm too SCARED

Thanks again fellas...
Old 09-18-2010, 07:20 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I have a 2010 that idles rough sometimes as well. It has also died like it is out of fuel 2 times and had to be towed to the dealer. 5700 miles on it.
Old 09-18-2010, 07:47 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Has everyone been draining their HFCM on a monthly basis? Any water detected? Sounds like bad fuel if no codes are being thrown.

The fuel going into the 6.4 must be pristine.
Old 09-18-2010, 09:19 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Code03 View Post

Went out today and got in, started it up and it ran like $hit... felt like it was missing / sputtering at idle. Gave it some pedal and rpms climed but sputtering remained. Drove the truck down the road... running it pretty hard.... and it cleared up some. Truck is still running a bit strange and I feel a slight power loss.

Are you sure it was just not in regen
Old 09-18-2010, 04:40 PM
Premium Member

Still no more issues since that morning. But the truck has still not gone into regen. So I'm getting a bit scared about this . It's running just fine but no regen in at least 2500mi (I haven't seen it come up on the dash read out, nor felt it run bad besides that morning). I wonder if the 'Lucas' has anything to do with this. Anybody heard of any issues with running Lucas in the 6.4L?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.