6.4 Oil Level Rising - Page 2 - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-19-2007, 05:41 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
you need to tell ford dealer to remove the valve covers and run engine up 1200 rpm and comand rail pressure to 20k psi and find the leaking high pressure line
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-19-2007, 05:45 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ford diesel tech View Post
you need to tell ford dealer to remove the valve covers and run engine up 1200 rpm and comand rail pressure to 20k psi and find the leaking high pressure line
i second this....
Old 12-12-2007, 08:42 AM

Changed the oil in mine a couple of weeks ago, 1/2" over full on the dip stick before we drained the old oil. Sent an oil sample to Empire Fluids Lab in Phoenix. The analysis was so bad they called with the results instead of mailing it. 3% fuel dilution, 132 parts of iron and 70 parts of aluminum, soot was extremely high and the oil viscosity test showed 8.8 (15W40).

Ford engineering now tells us that this is normal! They said to expect 1 quart of diesel in the oil every 3,000 miles! With the suggested normal oil change intervals at 10,000 miles; that would put almost 1 gallon of diesel in the oil. No wonder that my mpg's are so bad.

Our company owns a fleet of Kenworths and over 30 pieces of diesel powered heavy machinery, with an analysis like we got on this motor, we would have the machine in the shop with the heads and oil pan off.
Old 12-12-2007, 08:54 AM
Jon

Damn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc View Post
i second this....
How many of these have you run across already?
Old 12-12-2007, 09:00 AM
ADMIN AND TECH

ive had two 6.4 in the shop with fuel in the oil and overfull, both trucks were high pressure pump leaking into the crankcase and not injectors or lines , just something that could also be the problem
Old 01-27-2008, 07:00 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

How did you determine the leaking pump ? Did you do a manual check or use the computer and found a pressure drop ? Trying to get some help to have a check done on my truck as I am getting fuel in my oil and all that was done was they used a laptop and checked the pressure.
Old 01-27-2008, 01:14 PM
ADMIN AND TECH

in both situations i had to remove both valve covers and check for leaks at injector lines and fuel rail, none seen, if it isnt either of those , the pump is the only thing left
Old 01-28-2008, 11:53 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I asked ford about the same problem, because my oil level was above the fill line when I checked it. Ford told me up to 4% increase is allowed. Thats bout a quart or so give or take. Oh well guess its the new motor and emissions thing.
Old 01-31-2008, 03:46 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

everone that is "making" oil is not alone...i just my 08 w/6.4 out of shop today for high oil level (4 qts per 5000 miles) and was told that it was within the limits that ford allows on these motors...i have already had the classic arguments about this is hurting the motor by changing weight viscosity of oil, bearing wash, I even asked if the dipsticks were put in the engine blocks as a decoration or a suggestion...needles to say they were no hel at the first ford house...but i stoppedby a second ford houseon the way home and they were repairing a truck with the same problem as mine...they said it could one of 3 things or all three things 1. a injector leak....2 a fuel line leak..(dont understand that, must be internal fuel lines.)...3 the hi pressure pump is leaking to the pan problems 1 & 2 are pretty easy to fix....but problem #3 they have to pull the cab off hope this helps some one...i have been fighting this problem for 2-3 months.....i made an appt for 02-07-08 to get my truck repaired...to be continued
Old 02-02-2008, 07:44 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Where's all the mechanics help. What is Ford actually saying as to what is acceptable.
My oil level is rising. The dealership did a oil change and I was showed that it was exactly on the full mark. I was told to keep a eye on it. Then when it was increasing I was told if there is possibly fuel getting into the oil Ford says to leave the dipstick out so that the top ring body only goes in till it touches the dipstick tube. Then if it is overfull it need some attention.
I went and checked the oil on Thursday the old fashioned way. Just pulled the dipstick and I was 1 and 3/4 inches over the full line up on the dipstick wire. I then did it Ford's way by not inserting all the way back in and I was 1/16 of a inch of covering the complete plumbob. So to me I am for sure overfull.
I take it back to the dealership and shut it off. We let it sit for one hour and went out so they can show me how to check the level properly. The shop foreman pulled the dipstick out and instantly put his rag onto the dipstick rod until it went to the plumbob. Well he already couldn't check how overfull it was as the rag wiped the oil of of the rod. He then did it Ford's way by not inserting the ring body into the tube and it was 1/16 of a inch from covering the complete plumbob and said it was fine. I got real mad and asked him how many ways does Ford have to check. I took it to our shop and had our shop mechanic drain the oil and get a midstream sample. The oil was drained into a spotless empty 5 gal bucket. It was only down about four inches from the top of the bucket and looked and ran like water. That thin. When he put the oil back into the truck he measured it into a one gallon measured container and poured it all back in. The truck's oil capacity is 14 litres (Canadian EH) He put in between 17 to 18 litres Even if he was out and let's say it was only 17 litres that's approx 20% dilution. This is after only 2800 miles or 4500 kilometers.

Does someone have a true definition of what Ford says is acceptable ??????

Can someone clarify what is the proper way to check the oil level using a dipstick, is there one way or five ways of doing this ?????

This is a two month old issue that after the analysis comes back this will probably be going to legal council. Is there any help from who has talked to the Ford engineers for clarification.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.