Motor blows up at 100,000 - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 07-03-2010, 09:33 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie
 

Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 4
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Motor blows up at 100,000

I have a 2008 F-350 King Ranch that just blew up a little past the 100,000 mark. To let everyone know the truck went in the dealer ship and came out with new turbos. exactly 2 weeks later the turbos go out again. Finally get the truck back, and a week after getting the truck out of the shop for the second time the motor blows up. Now I was pulling a 48' gooseneck trailer, looked down at the boost gauge and saw that it was fluctuating then out of know where the boost gauge pegs out completely and the motor goes. The dealer ship is saying that I have to pay for a complete new engine, and I am saying no way. Just wanted to know if you guys could help me find information such as the specs for boost on these trucks. Also any other people that may have had the same problem.
Thanks....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
  #2  
Old 07-03-2010, 09:47 PM
Powerstroke Techie

 

Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Brampton, Ontario, Canada
Posts: 2,584
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by instagator View Post
I have a 2008 F-350 King Ranch that just blew up a little past the 100,000 mark. To let everyone know the truck went in the dealer ship and came out with new turbos. exactly 2 weeks later the turbos go out again. Finally get the truck back, and a week after getting the truck out of the shop for the second time the motor blows up. Now I was pulling a 48' gooseneck trailer, looked down at the boost gauge and saw that it was fluctuating then out of know where the boost gauge pegs out completely and the motor goes. The dealer ship is saying that I have to pay for a complete new engine, and I am saying no way. Just wanted to know if you guys could help me find information such as the specs for boost on these trucks. Also any other people that may have had the same problem.
Thanks....
This engine didn't happen to run away by any chance did it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #3  
Old 07-03-2010, 09:52 PM
Compression Ignition Addict
 

Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: North of SA
Posts: 388
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by m-chan68 View Post
This engine didn't happen to run away by any chance did it?
Not to cut in on his, but mine didi with the service writer driving and the tech. in the front. Like a bat out of hell like nothing they have seen before- that from both of them (I was not in the truck). What does it mean as I have yet to get any answers.

Last edited by hookset; 07-03-2010 at 10:07 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #4  
Old 07-03-2010, 10:08 PM
Compression Ignition Addict
 

Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: North of SA
Posts: 388
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
NEED HELP! Blown 6.4 -Sorry but need Mchan68 to view. May help each of us gain some needed info.-nevermind. Can't figure out how to attach the NEED HELP thread.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #5  
Old 07-03-2010, 10:09 PM
Powerstroke Techie

 

Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Brampton, Ontario, Canada
Posts: 2,584
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by hookset View Post
Not to cut in on his, but mine didi with the service writer driving and the tech. in the front. Like a bat out of hell like nothing they have seen before- that from both of them (I was not in the truck). What does it mean as I have yet to get any answers.
Not to sound like a smarta$$, but I'm sure most of you diesel owners are familiar with the term "runaway", RIGHT?

Well, for those who are not in the know, a "runaway" occurs when a diesel engine ingests an "alternative fuel source" and increases engine speed not commanded by the operator until BAM!!!!

Since most of you 6.4L owners are now well familiar with the 6.4L's propensity for "making oil" between changes, it's quite possible for oil/fuel to make its way into the CAC quite readily waiting to be ingested, until disaster happens.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #6  
Old 07-03-2010, 10:16 PM
Compression Ignition Addict
 

Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: North of SA
Posts: 388
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by m-chan68 View Post
Not to sound like a smarta$$, but I'm sure most of you diesel owners are familiar with the term "runaway", RIGHT?

Well, for those who are not in the know, a "runaway" occurs when a diesel engine ingests an "alternative fuel source" and increases engine speed not commanded by the operator until BAM!!!!

Since most of you 6.4L owners are now well familiar with the 6.4L's propensity for "making oil" between changes, it's quite possible for oil/fuel to make its way into the CAC quite readily waiting to be ingested, until disaster happens.
Sorry. Thought it meant like it sounds. Truck was never what I expected (no throttle response) as compared to buddies with the same motors, but the tech. said my truck literally broke the back wheels lose @ 30 mph (dry hwy) when they went to accelerate onto the hwy when they test drove it the day I took it in. I told the service writer BS, it has no balls and he said it took off on them- 7 days later they figure out I have 2 melted pistons.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #7  
Old 07-03-2010, 10:26 PM
Compression Ignition Addict
 

Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Rootstown, OH
Posts: 1,364
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Sorry to play newb here but im interested now. SO, the CAC is holding "alt. fuel", AKA fuel/coolant, etc from what? Leaky heads? Also, how is it getting into this intercooler tube? Is the CAC turbo to intercooler, or I/C to intake? Either way im lost as to how any alternative fuel would be captured in here. Sorry to hear about your motor! Hopefully they man up...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #8  
Old 07-03-2010, 11:06 PM
Banned

 

Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Bryan/College Station/Tyler, TEXAS
Posts: 26,458
Thanks: 11
Thanked 9 Times in 8 Posts
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by hookset View Post
Sorry. Thought it meant like it sounds. Truck was never what I expected (no throttle response) as compared to buddies with the same motors, but the tech. said my truck literally broke the back wheels lose @ 30 mph (dry hwy) when they went to accelerate onto the hwy when they test drove it the day I took it in. I told the service writer BS, it has no balls and he said it took off on them- 7 days later they figure out I have 2 melted pistons.
breaks tires loose at 30mph? were they boost launchin? tech damaged engine?

im sorry but if you break tires loose on DRY road, they were pushin it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #9  
Old 07-03-2010, 11:26 PM
Coal Rolling = Posing

 

Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Cumberland Furnace, TN
Posts: 9,872
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarrod B View Post
breaks tires loose at 30mph? were they boost launchin? tech damaged engine?

im sorry but if you break tires loose on DRY road, they were pushin it.
That would be the "alternate fuel" "adding power" Jarrod.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #10  
Old 07-04-2010, 12:15 AM
Banned

 

Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Bryan/College Station/Tyler, TEXAS
Posts: 26,458
Thanks: 11
Thanked 9 Times in 8 Posts
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by chvyrkr81 View Post
That would be the "alternate fuel" "adding power" Jarrod.
uh what? theres no mention of fuel unless you are talkin about some oil that was burning as fuel.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -8. The time now is 04:16 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.1
Garage Plus, Vendor Tools vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.

vB.Sponsors