6.4L whirring noise from engine - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-22-2010, 01:04 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
6.4L whirring noise from engine

My 2008 6.4L, which has < 19,000 mi. is starting to make a growling or whirring noise sometimes whenever I start to give it throttle--coming from engine area. Seems like going from 2nd to 3rd gear. It'll happen for the first one or two accelerations after I crank it up, then that's it. Not limited to being cold. Happens when I get back in it after having been in the store, or leaving work. Actually might not happen at 5 am, and more prone to do it when I leave work at 5 pm. This is in southeast Texas where it's getting pretty hot and extremely humid. Fuel filters changed @ Ford a couple of months ago. Have been using 4 oz. of motorcraft cetane booster with every fill-up for the last 4 months or so (basically since I've had it). I have an S&B intake kit sitting in my living room that I don't really want to put on until dealership can check it out.

Where do you take the air filter restriction reading? Is it the outside of the orange slide (which shows less restriction) or the inside of the orange slide (which shows more restriction)?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-22-2010, 01:26 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Does it sound like an exhaust leak from behind the dash area? If so, mine is doing the same thing when cold, but goes away when the trucks warmed up. At dealer now...
Old 06-23-2010, 03:11 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

definitely coming from behind dash, like it's right there. It'll only do it for the first couple of accelerations whether it's been shut down for 45 minutes and still warm or after it's been down for 12 hours, but the ambient temp's at 90+. Hasn't been doing it in the early morning after being down all night. sounds more like a mechanical device really getting it--like an ac compressor, fuel pump, turbo (seems like that would be louder). thanks for reply.
Old 06-23-2010, 09:06 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

I'm having the same issue, I live around the Dallas, Texas area. During acceleration the noise sounds like the fan is sucking tremendous air. I have noticed that when it's making this noise I have no turbo boost and rpm's get up to around 2000, I let off the skinny pedal and then give it more gas and it's a 50/50 chance of it working right of doing it again. Please let me know what u find out, mines an '08 with 27000 miles.
Old 07-01-2010, 08:24 PM

Wow i have heard this as well, mine is having issues in regen mode also. No power and hesitation.
Old 07-08-2010, 05:56 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Just curious if any one has found out the problem? Mine does it after a hour or so of the truck sitting and I get back in it, Sounds as if turbo over revs or a loud fan noise. It only does it for about a minute then stops but seems to be getting more frequent. 08 with 33,000 miles.
Old 07-11-2010, 05:57 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Of all the replies, Spechtech's is most similar to my experience. Not exhaust leak, since it is intermittent. On mine, the sound does correlate to it being hot outside. It'll do it for the first 2 or 3 second to third gear transitions. I have not definitively discovered what this is. Can't find time to bring it in, and at this point I'm not that worried about it; still under original warranty and all. What I'm thinking, and this is just me, is that it happens when it's hot and most likely after it's been ran and left sitting for a bit. At this point the engine and everything around it is already hot. Now you're going to start up and start doing some rpms, but you haven't reached enough speed to (A) get any fresh cooler air into the intake and (B) get any real cooling on the main radiator or intercooler radiator. I wish I knew more about the flow and control schemes on this engine. I'm pretty easy on vehicles and my stuff in general, so my mindset is that I'm not going to get real concerned at this point. My engine light has been coming on and going back off after a day or so (currently on for the second time). but I did just install an S&B intake 2 weeks ago. later.
Old 08-03-2010, 12:44 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Follow up on this thread. Anyone find out what is happening. My is doing the same when hot. Can speed down the interstate at 80 with a 4H trailer loaded. No problems. Pull off the interstate on a hot day and have these issues accelerating on to side roads. If I get back up to speed I have power. Like a fuel or other temp switch is causing issues. The dealer can't find anything.
Old 08-03-2010, 01:38 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

mine does something similar, i assumed it was the engine fan clutch still being engaged.
Old 08-04-2010, 05:04 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by R_S_C View Post
mine does something similar, i assumed it was the engine fan clutch still being engaged.
Thats what direction I was thinking!!! I still have not taken it in yet because it may be normal operation. Once I get going down the road it goes away
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.