6.4 Techs…….Please Offer possible causes and solutions - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-20-2010, 08:09 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
6.4 Techs…….Please Offer possible causes and solutions

6.4 Techs…….Please Offer possible causes and solutions

Truck is a “Job-3” 2008 6.4L F250 FX4 SRW, 22K miles, Completely Stock

Maintenance History:
Dealer Oil Changes every 2-3K, MotorCraft 15W-40 CJ-4(Overkill probably, but worth the peace of mind)
Dealer Fuel Filter Changes every 5-10K, again, (Overkill probably, but worth the peace of mind)
Latest “Flash” for the truck has been done
Injector Recall has been done replacing 6 of the injectors
CAC TSB has been done (However still believe to be source of problem)

Problem:
When I have to put the truck under a moderate to heavy “Throttle” load, I.E. “passing gear” to get around traffic, or if slowing to go through a “toll booth” then re-accelerating back to highway speeds, my truck continues to have the issue with severe “Hesitation” and “Stumbling”, as if, “missing” or “starving” for fuel for approximately 5-10 seconds with grayish-white smoke coming from the exhaust, then it clears up and takes off, while on the highway for a steady period of time in a “humid” environment, humidity being approximately 75% or higher. The truck does not throw any lights and there are no codes triggered.
In lower humidity, the truck will perform normally with no signs of “hesitation”, “stumbling” or loss of power.
Each time the truck has done this, I have verified the truck was not in “Regen”. I always get fuel from the same fuel station which has a high volume of diesel vehicles through it, and I drain the “fuel/water” separator on a regular basis.

I live in Key West, I don’t tow anything, and the 2 areas of Florida I frequently travel is to West Palm Beach and Sarasota. When traveling to West Palm Beach, only once has the truck very briefly acted up, for maybe 1 second, then cleared up with no further signs of problems and the humidity was above 70% due to storms in the area at the time. All other times, the truck performed perfectly.
When I travel to Sarasota, I have to go across “Alligator Alley” on I-75, and the humidity is always 80% or better through “Alligator Alley”. There is a toll booth on both the North and South end of “Alligator Alley” and you have to slow down to 25mph through the toll booth, then when I try to accelerate normally, the truck gets the severe “hesitation” and “stumbling” for the 5-10 seconds then clears up, and while in this area or any area where the humidity is high, if I have to put the truck in passing gear, or slow down then try to accelerate again, the truck will severely hesitate and stumble every time.
I have had the truck at the dealer several times regarding this problem and each time the dealer tech has not been able to re-create the problem. A few weeks ago, the Dealer diesel tech removed and cleaned the updated CAC and told me to drive it, I did, and same thing is still happening, although not as much smoke as before. Brought the truck back to the dealer. The dealer diesel tech told me that since he cannot duplicate the problem, the only other option he had to try was to hook up a “VDR” (vehicle data recorder?) and have me try and re-create the problem and get a recording of the problem to see exactly what the engine is doing when it is hesitating and stumbling.
Last night, I took the truck across “Alligator Alley” again, and again, the truck hesitated and stumbled, only this time for whatever reason, more severely than normal to the point it actually scared me and I got off the throttle, when I tried to accelerate back to highway speed after going through the toll booth. In case there is any question on how I accelerate, I don’t slam the throttle through the floor, I accelerate in a normal fashion, meaning moderate throttle load.
I was able to get 4 solid recordings on the “VDR”, so hopefully the tech will be able to see something.

When I was at the Dealer getting the “VDR” installed, another diesel tech said there could be a number of reasons causing this problem on top of the possibility of the updated CAC still being the issue……he said the problem could be with the “BARO” sensor, Fuel Trim, or a problem between the both the “Low Pressure Fuel Pump” and the “High Pressure Fuel Pump”, or the “EGR” valve.

I can’t get the “VDR” back to the dealer until next weekend(26 June), so any suggestions on possible causes and possible solutions is greatly appreciated!!!!!!!!

Sorry this is so long, I tried to be as descript as possible.

Thanks Again,
Will

Last edited by My08F250FX4; 06-21-2010 at 11:04 AM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-21-2010, 08:22 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Sounds like you need the intercooler upgrade that some have been discussing recently. It's TSB-08-25-1.
Old 06-21-2010, 09:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueF350 View Post
Sounds like you need the intercooler upgrade that some have been discussing recently. It's TSB-08-25-1.
Thanks for the reply.......the truck has already had the CAC replaced with the updated CAC in accordance with the TSB.

Last edited by My08F250FX4; 06-21-2010 at 11:03 AM.
Old 06-21-2010, 03:17 PM

Sorry, I didnt get CAC= Intercooler. I got it now. Good luck with resolving your issue.
Old 06-22-2010, 04:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueF350 View Post
Sorry, I didnt get CAC= Intercooler. I got it now. Good luck with resolving your issue.
No problem Brotha, I'm used to saying "intercooler" as well, the only reason I use "CAC" now is when I would talk to the tech's at the dealership they would always refer to it as a "Cold Air Charger" , not an intercooler, which is what I still call it.

Hopefully this weekend, when the techs download the data recordings, they'll be able to tell me what's wrong.

Last edited by My08F250FX4; 06-22-2010 at 04:47 PM.
Old 06-22-2010, 06:51 PM

My work truck does the same thing after going the long distance with a light load. I have heard of some that have been replaced that still have the issue. I will modulate the load every few miles by accelerating to help clear the intake. Since Florida is so flat and humid you probably emphasise the low air flow and collect condensation. Try clearing it out ever once in a while to see if it helps
Old 06-26-2010, 09:40 AM
Powerstroke Techie

Pull lower CAC tube off and see if there is water in the cooler.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.