Turbo Lag - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-24-2010, 10:22 AM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Turbo Lag

I have a 6.4 with 17,000 miles on it. The truck has extreme turbo lag. What would cause this? I have never taken the truck back to the dealer for a reflash. I heard that the reflash would shorten the regen of the DPF to every 80 or so miles. I go 150 to 200 miles now for the regen. Is it true that if I take the truck back to the dealer for a reflash, it would raise the horsepower to 400? The man that told me this said that he had a wreck because of this turbo lag and the Ford dealer was going to give him the current reflash and raise his horsepower to 400 and eliminate the turbo lag. I have a Superchips Cortex but only kept the truck programmed about 600 miles because I didn't want to void my warranty. It really didn't give me much. I was instructed by Superchips to program it on tow safe, the lowest setting. I wanted more MPG's. When the warranty is out on my truck I plan to take the DPF and whatever else out and install a programmer. I do appreciate all of the help you give me.
Thanks,
RJS
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-24-2010, 10:36 AM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 9 reviews
You will always have a small amount of turbo lag no matter what you do to your truck. And i think whoever told you that a reflash will get you up to 400hp is truly fudging you.

My advice to you: Talk to your dealer and see if they are mod friendly. Mine is awesome, and anytime I need warranty work my truck rolls in with ARP Studs, EGR Delete, and a full straight pipe.

If so, RIP that DPF off your truck! Get a Spartan tuner, DPF Delete, and an AFE Stage II intake and have fun

If they are not mod friendly, then still rip that crap off and put the intake, DPF delete, and Spartan on. If you ever need warranty work, set the Spartan back to stock (Spartan guarantees that it does not leave a footprint) and swap the DPF back in. And you're warranty can't be voided because of an intake.
Old 05-27-2010, 08:06 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Hey Rondar, Mine did the same thing I just changed the turbo sensor and no more lag not sure if this will be the case for you but worth a try it only like 20 to 25 bucks and takes 2 min’s to remove and install.
As far as reflash is concerned it will not add any horsepower
Old 05-27-2010, 08:20 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by rondar View Post
The man that told me this said that he had a wreck because of this turbo lag and the Ford dealer was going to give him the current reflash and raise his horsepower to 400 and eliminate the turbo lag.
Thanks,
RJS
to me the word "wreck" means that the vehicle was damaged beyond repair, so if this was the case why would the dealer reflash a "wrecked vehicle".

sounds like a load of rich creamery butter to me
Old 05-29-2010, 09:06 AM
Premium Member

Thanks dmark4u,
I will try this. Sometimes it seems like I am going to have to get out and push the darn thing.
RJS
Old 05-29-2010, 09:10 AM
Premium Member

kaptain howdie,
Wreck can mean that he just ran into someone. Since when does wreck mean beyond repair? A wreck can mean a fender bender.
Old 05-29-2010, 06:38 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by rondar View Post
A wreck can mean a fender bender.
than why wouldn`t you say "fender bender"

i was in a car wreck, or i was in a fender bender imply instances that are similar in nature but one could interpret the meanings differently.
Old 05-29-2010, 06:50 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Also you can simply do boosted launches all the time, then there is minimal lag...lol might not be too healthy for your wallet though

Last edited by powerhoghp; 05-29-2010 at 06:56 PM.
Old 05-30-2010, 01:34 PM
Premium Member

Powerhoghp,
Yes, I do them all the time if I have to get across traffic. Your right, not too good on the wallet. Thanks for your input.
RJS
Old 06-01-2010, 04:09 AM

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmark4u View Post
Hey Rondar, Mine did the same thing I just changed the turbo sensor and no more lag not sure if this will be the case for you but worth a try it only like 20 to 25 bucks and takes 2 minís to remove and install.
As far as reflash is concerned it will not add any horsepower
Where did you get your sensor?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.