Well the radiator gremlin finally caught up to me... - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-26-2010, 04:34 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Well the radiator gremlin finally caught up to me...

Just bought an '08 with 50K on the clock two weeks ago. Wife called to tell me as she was leaving the house, there was a pool under the front. Sure enough it's coolant, but can't see where it is leaking from as it appears it dripping out of the fan shroud, but running all over the underside. Could it be a water pump? With all known issues, guessing it's the radiator and thinking about towing it in as there is now a nice trickle of water flowing on my curbs. I take it this isn't a covered power train warranty issue? Worth an attempted drive to the dealer or just call a flat bed early in the morning?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-26-2010, 05:09 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

I'd tow it. Some were able to convince their dealers to do it under the engine warranty because it's a known problem. Good luck
Old 03-26-2010, 05:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by F1LOCO View Post
Just bought an '08 with 50K on the clock two weeks ago. Wife called to tell me as she was leaving the house, there was a pool under the front. Sure enough it's coolant, but can't see where it is leaking from as it appears it dripping out of the fan shroud, but running all over the underside. Could it be a water pump? With all known issues, guessing it's the radiator and thinking about towing it in as there is now a nice trickle of water flowing on my curbs. I take it this isn't a covered power train warranty issue? Worth an attempted drive to the dealer or just call a flat bed early in the morning?
I'd call Ford very matter of factly & simply say, Come & get it. If you can have it back in 2 days I wont need a loaner. just my
Old 03-26-2010, 05:21 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Yeah, I'm going to have it towed back to the same dealer and hopefully...they'll do the right thing...so is there some kind of special tow rig I request to tow this mamouth? It's got a 6" lift and 35's...I just don't want to wait an hour to have them show up and say, "oh, we need to call for another truck."
Old 03-26-2010, 05:37 PM

Quote:
Yeah, I'm going to have it towed back to the same dealer and hopefully...they'll do the right thing...so is there some kind of special tow rig I request to tow this mamouth? It's got a 6" lift and 35's...I just don't want to wait an hour to have them show up and say, "oh, we need to call for another truck."
Tell em what you got when you call, they should put it on a flatbed. Push Ford hard on this. Even if they make you pay, make copies, write a good letter & send it to Dearborn Mi. They will stand behind this repair if you press them tastefully. 50k miles is barely broke in. You paid 6k more for the truck just to get their state of the art power package, now they can stand behind it. Everyone knows that the gassers don't have half the problems these plugless motors have. just my opinion. BGJ
Old 03-26-2010, 06:08 PM

Dudel i Just found this for you, hope it helps you sleep better!!!
kylebryan
Powerstroke.org Rookie
kylebryans Gallery Hall

Ford has extended the warranty on the radiators on these trucks. Heres a thread on FTE
All 6.4 Radiators are now covered for 5yr/100000 miles - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Mine started leaking at 43k. My thermostat locked up on a muddy back road one day and blew the coolant line off the passenger side of the truck that goes into the engine. Needless to say it puked out all my fluid in about 2 seconds and i never even knew it was happening untill the temp light came on. Its a well known problem about these truck to have coolant issues and its a good idea to walk around once a week and look for leaking coolant. Id hate for you to have to buy 70$ worth of coolant like i had to. (Its expensive from a conveinence store in the middle of nowhere!) Anyways since ford knows its an issue take it in ASAP.
Old 03-27-2010, 02:26 PM
Powerstroke Techie

Radiators:

At this point, they are covered to 100k if the thermostat is found to be the failed component that has caused the radiator to leak. If the thermostat functions normally, the radiator coverage is bound to 3/36 or 3/60k if you live in Canada.
Old 03-29-2010, 05:17 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Quote:
If the thermostat is not bad and they still want you to pay you can ask for After Warranty Assistance. This is where the Dealer, Ford, and you split some costs. You have to ask for it. The more of a Ford loyal customer you are the more help you'll get. Especially if you've bought it from them or have in the past.
Old 04-02-2010, 05:50 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Well, the bad...new radiator, new water pump, and new fan clutch...the good, they covered it all under the warranty (though they made mention the used car dept paid the $100 deductible). In any event, the beast is back up and running w/o any additional costs. I would hate to see that bill, I'm guessing $1500 easily....
Old 04-02-2010, 06:47 AM

Glad they covered it, but don't let them fool you. There is NO deductible on '08 and up, if you ever need more warranty work.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.