For the Techs. Slight Power Loss - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-12-2010, 07:48 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
For the Techs. Slight Power Loss

I wanted to see if someone could help direct me. Maybe a Tech or someone better mechanically than myself. The problem seems like a slight power loss over the past couple of weeks and maybe just a little more engine or air noise to the center or center right of the engine compartment. This is while sitting in the driving position inside the truck. Basically boost seems good maybe even a little higher due to colder weather. The issue is when i take off from a stop and lightly apply the gas i seem to have just a little more power till the turbos spool up to 10psi. At this point engine noise rises (sounds kinda like air noise) but power seems to drop just a bit. So i feel like i need to give her a little more pedal to maintain the same acceleration before the turbo psi starting moving up. Also, i've notice that in the past taking off from a light (gradually take off not fast) the truck would start off with one sound and then briefly have a different diesel sound 1-2 seconds then go back to the original sound. This is hard to explain but I noticed it in all the new trucks i drove when looking for mine. Anyway, the 2 tone sound is now gone but now i seem to loose some power starting around 10psi and up but am experiencing more air or engine noise. Could i have a air leak somewhere thats causing this issue or could it be something else? By the way, if i floor it the power is not bad but still seems a little off. I've been running the Spartan DPF delete 75hp tune for about 6 months now and do drive the truck pretty easy. Everything else seems to be ok thus no codes etc.

Thanks for the help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-12-2010, 08:15 AM
Powerstroke.org Sponsor

Check all your turbo piping. You may also have an exhaust leak at the up-pipes.
Old 02-12-2010, 01:42 PM
Powerstroke Techie

Stupid as this sounds, but I recently had a truck exhibiting the same symptoms. Jack up each corner of the truck, and see if the wheels spin freely. This truck had both rear calipers sticking on, causing a perceived lack of power.
Old 02-13-2010, 11:25 AM

Picture worth 1000 words? I hope!

Here is a picture of an area that looks to be leaking a bit. Its located just behind the oil filter. Any thoughts as to if this is a problem?
Attached Thumbnails
For the Techs.  Slight Power Loss-f250picture_7_1.jpg  
Old 02-18-2010, 12:06 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by sawtooth1 View Post
I wanted to see if someone could help direct me. Maybe a Tech or someone better mechanically than myself. The problem seems like a slight power loss over the past couple of weeks and maybe just a little more engine or air noise to the center or center right of the engine compartment. This is while sitting in the driving position inside the truck. Basically boost seems good maybe even a little higher due to colder weather. The issue is when i take off from a stop and lightly apply the gas i seem to have just a little more power till the turbos spool up to 10psi. At this point engine noise rises (sounds kinda like air noise) but power seems to drop just a bit. So i feel like i need to give her a little more pedal to maintain the same acceleration before the turbo psi starting moving up.
Thanks for the help!
I'm having the same thing happen and couldn't have explained better. Mine is 100% stock with slightly less than 10,000 miles. Noticed the sound a few months ago and I feel like I'm gradually loosing power. For me I seem to be loosing boost too. Used to run up to 35 pretty easy when WOT, now the most I see is 25.
Old 02-20-2010, 10:50 AM
Powerstroke Techie

Have someone bring the RPM up on your motor while you feel around that area for leaks, or spray it with soapy water to check for bubbles -- a boost leak there could cause a loss of power.
Old 02-21-2010, 02:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Angry Hillbilly View Post
Have someone bring the RPM up on your motor while you feel around that area for leaks, or spray it with soapy water to check for bubbles -- a boost leak there could cause a loss of power.

Thanks for the info. Next week i'll get a friend of mine to help me take a look. Hopefully we can find it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.