White Smoke On Start Up - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-23-2010, 08:03 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
White Smoke On Start Up

I have an '08 model with 56k miles on it.

It just started doing this the the other day. When I crank it and leave the house, usually within a mile or so it will start blowing white smoke. Sometimes pretty heavy. On occasion the engine will hesitate, almost as if it is "flooding out".

It usually stops within a few miles. I just had the fuel filters changed, and I have added diesel treatment for the last two tanks. The fuel water separator flows clean fuel.

I have read some other similar posts, and folks have suggesed a cracked DPF (whatever that is), or some such.

I am about to pull my 5th wheel from Dallas to Pensacola in about a month, so I'd like to get this figured out.

Thanks in advance.

JK
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-23-2010, 12:10 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

MINE WAS SORTA DOING THE SAME THING , AND THEY REFLASHED MY PCM.. SO FAR SO GOOD
Old 01-28-2010, 01:27 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I took mine in on Monday, and they found a leaking EGR cooler. They replaced it free of charge, and I got the truck back first thing Tuesday morning. Seems to have fixed the problem, it's running great, and smoke free! We'll see how it goes, but so far so good.
Old 01-30-2010, 12:11 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

My 2008 was doing the same thing. Dealer replaced intercooler, no change, reflashed computer, no change. Finally I started using Motorcraft cetane booster. About twice the recomended dose to start out, then per the bottles instructions. I have not had any problems for the last 18 thousand miles. It used to stall and blow white smoke so bad I almost was involved in wrecks. I think the 6.4 liter's high compression & the lack of quality diesel are the main issues. I would try the cetane booster & change the filters every other oil change.
Old 01-30-2010, 12:45 PM
Premium Member

I had the same symptoms and it was a leaking EGR cooler too. I became most concerned when I noticed a slow loss of coolant. Mine was out of warranty, so I deleted the EGR cooler. It runs better than ever now.
Old 02-04-2010, 08:00 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by kemp.jerry View Post
I have an '08 model with 56k miles on it.

It just started doing this the the other day. When I crank it and leave the house, usually within a mile or so it will start blowing white smoke. Sometimes pretty heavy. On occasion the engine will hesitate, almost as if it is "flooding out".

It usually stops within a few miles. I just had the fuel filters changed, and I have added diesel treatment for the last two tanks. The fuel water separator flows clean fuel.

I have read some other similar posts, and folks have suggesed a cracked DPF (whatever that is), or some such.

I am about to pull my 5th wheel from Dallas to Pensacola in about a month, so I'd like to get this figured out.

Thanks in advance.

JK
Is your exhaust pipe clean or black?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.