6.4 cam gear/high pressure fuel pump gear stripped - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-17-2010, 05:24 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
6.4 cam gear/high pressure fuel pump gear stripped

I am working on a 2008 6.4 Ford diesel engine where the cam gear and high pressure fuel pump gear became misaligned. This resulted in the gears grinding, sending metal shavings in the engine, and bent pushrods. Ford says fuel contamination caused the fuel pump to lock up forcing the pressed on cam gear to seperate. However, the gear on the high pressure fuel pump will still turn, it does not appear to be seized. Has any one heard of the cam gear "sliding off" the cam on its own? Or, will the fuel pump "lock up" but, can later be turned?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-17-2010, 05:43 PM
Powerstroke Techie

The added factor of heat may have contributed to the seizure of the pump.

Is the bolt in the back of the pump tight?

Man that's scary. How much of that crap went through the oil pump? I'd bet that motor is junk.
Old 01-18-2010, 05:54 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Yes, metal shavings went through the engine so not a good thing. You can turn the pump gear by hand so it doesn't appear seized now.
Old 02-12-2010, 07:52 AM
Banned

2009 Ford Diesel high Pressure fuel pump junk 20480 miles ford denies claim

I own a 2009 Ford F350 4x4 Super Duty 6.4 Diesel. this is the truck they show in commericials pulling down houses. well let me tell you fellow ford fans this truck can't pull my 300 pound *** right now! I was driving this vehicle as a personal vehicle and truck started to lack power. I pulled into a parking lot had the truck towed to my regular garage figured it was a fuel filter. I had them replaced and still same problem. I have this vehicle towed to my local ford dealer where they want to charge me out of pocket 4750 dollars to determain if this vehicle would be covered under ford warranty ( Truck has 20k Miles ) The ford dealer tells me that they have been in contact with ford and they feel it was lack of maintance and would not cover this to determain if it would be covered under warranty however they did no it was the high pressure fuel pump. Ford Says well there are no metal shavings in the filters only in the lines so " I MUST HAVE NOT MAINTAINED THIS VEHICLE " Well guess what I have all my slips since new. Also Ford Does not require you to change the fuel filters under normal conditions until 20k So how could this be my fault? It can't be and is not. I have this vehicle towed to my local repair shop where they are repairing this vehicle. Come to find out Ford has 391 Parts orders for these fuel pumps and accessories ON BACK ORDER. So I guess this isn't the first one they have seen. I'm filing suite against my selling dealer, the ford dealer who I brought the vehicle to for service, ford motor company. I'm suing the selling dealer because they NEVER went through the " bs maintance schedule with me there for as a average consumer I would not no, The ford dealer I brought it to for service for not taking the vehicle apart to determain what the issue was " and to determain cause " and ford for denying a warranty claim. Oh and don't bother calling the ford customer service line. the rep told me that because the fuel filters and maintance was done at a non ford service place I should sue them individual shop not ford because it may not have been done right!!!!!! this is a guy who is sitting behind a computer know's nothing about my truck! they are trained now, this is a major issue with the new diesels, becareful this isn't "ford tuff" it's ford junk! I would be more than happy to assist anyone if they are having the same issues,
Old 02-12-2010, 01:49 PM
Powerstroke Techie

This is a forum generally geared towards people who are enthusiastic about their vehicles.

If you'd like to bash a vendor or product, there are other venues to do it.

You could have written this up tactfully instead of blaming everybody else.

There are a number of things that can cause fuel system failure, including, but not limited to, poor quality fuel, lack of maintenance, component failure.

So what what is your local repair shop doing to complete the repair? When there is metal contamination in the fuel system, the entire fuel system needs to be replaced.

There is a number of components that you CANNOT clean the metal fragmentation out of and they MUST be replaced. Fuel rails and injectors come to mind.

I'm not trying to throw rocks, I'm just looking at it from the other side of the coin. I'm sorry to hear about this problem you're having, and I hope Ford comes through for you.

Where are you located?

PM me your VIN.
Old 02-15-2010, 03:44 AM
Banned

Re: 2009 Ford F350 Fuel Pump Failure

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Angry Hillbilly View Post
This is a forum generally geared towards people who are enthusiastic about their vehicles.

There are a number of things that can cause fuel system failure, including, but not limited to, poor quality fuel, lack of maintenance, component failure.

So what what is your local repair shop doing to complete the repair? When there is metal contamination in the fuel system, the entire fuel system needs to be replaced.

There is a number of components that you CANNOT clean the metal fragmentation out of and they MUST be replaced. Fuel rails and injectors come to mind.

I'm not trying to throw rocks, I'm just looking at it from the other side of the coin. I'm sorry to hear about this problem you're having, and I hope Ford comes through for you.

Where are you located?

PM me your VIN.
I do understand this site is set up for people who love there diesel's however they should also no that this engine is a JUNK engine. There are over 400 as of friday know cases of the same problem. The high pressure fuel pump siezed causing the gear on the fuel pump to lock up and bend. There is no way it is caued by lack of Maintance in my case. the ford maintance schedule shows under normal wear (which mine is) personal vehicle first fuel filter is not due until 20k truck had less than that when failure occured. Yes my garage has replaced everything both fuel pumps,rails,injectors,etc etc, There are over 125 differant posts about the same problem on differant sites, this truck is shown pulling down houses in commercial's. I can not even imagine how long it would have lasted if it had to actually work instead of just driving around checking on my crew! You sould like a Ford Tech so considering that let me ask you one honest question. In the past Diesel's ford had besides the 03 6.0 have you ever heard of a diesel engine so sensitive? come on you no this engine is a junk engine as well considering over 125 differant people posted these negative thoughts on these engines. never mind the now 401 back order for these parts! so I think there is a problem. I can see Ford Motor Company setting them up for a Class Action Law Suite. I will win my case and I do appreciate your hope that Ford Comes through but what they have done is failed to honor there "Ford Tuff Name" this is just like the 80's early 90's when International supplied ford with a junk engine. Then International would not pay any claims back to Ford so Ford started not paying for any of there engines then just stopped paying claims. Same company Bad Design. I'm Located in the NorthEast I do not have my VIN handy. As for my fuel I get the same fuel in 4 other of my non 6.4 diesel's 6.0 for 3 years now and never a problem. Mobil Diesel. I have photos of all parts I will post them later today if I can figure out how. It is clear it was Component failure. Thanks for your input.
Old 02-15-2010, 07:45 PM
Still Alive

Send a message via Skype™ to westcoaststrokin
OOPS did I do that...........
Old 02-15-2010, 09:19 PM
<<< 6.4 Powersmoke

Quote:
Originally Posted by westcoaststrokin View Post
Old 02-15-2010, 09:49 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by westcoaststrokin View Post

haha

but dude that sucks sorry th hear about ur truck
Old 02-19-2010, 09:34 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Angry Hillbilly View Post

Where are you located?

PM me your VIN.
I am having the same problem. I have a 08 F450 with 30k on it. They voided my warranty on mine also. It died while driving and when i cranked it over it sounded like it was out of time. Before that the drain water in the fuel light came on a few days earlier. I had the fuel filters and I was going to change them both the day it died. I changed them after it died and still nothing. I took to ford dealer ship they said warranty was voided due to water in the fuel system. I explained to them the light had came on and i may have drove at the most 50 miles and what if i was on the road and was someone that knew nothing at all about vehicles and was 50 miles away before a rest stop to take somewhere they did not care. So I am a ase master certified technician but dont do much work on diesel's just gas engines. So I called a guy I use to work with at a ford dealer that was a diesel tech. I told him I pulled the codes and my code was a p0087 low fuel pressure. He told me about the wiring harness burning up to the high pressure fuel pump. So i did some research found there was a tsb on it. I have a shop with a lift at my house. I pulled the cab wich was not to bad. Removed the exhaust and removed the high pressure fuel pump cover. I found the harness not burned but just chaffed. I replaced the harness reassembled and tried again. Still nothing at all. Then made another phone call had a guy come out with a ford scan tool found system only had 1600psi wich needs to have 5000 psi to start. So he looked at the fuel said looked like metal shavings and we pulled the cab again. Removed the pump and disassembled. The pump does not appear to be bad but once disassembled you can not reuse so now I have to buy a new pump. He is saying I need to buy a pump,all new lines,all new injectors and a fuel filter housing and drop the tank and clean it out wich is over 3k in parts. And still cant say if that will fix it or not. Im at a lost and just about to put a cummins in it! So I feel your pain on this one for sure!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.