Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

Idk what is wrong

3K views 35 replies 4 participants last post by  seahawksax 
#1 ·
wont build past 10 psi!!

help!!! when i am accelerating i build up to 10-12 psi and then it just trails off between 8-10 and wont build up past that no matter what i do. which is killing my acceleration. is my wastgate stuck open? how do i check it? this sucks being able to basically only quickly accelerate to 40 then crawl from there. the only DTC code i have thrown is one that said " DPF not performing effeciently" which i think means i need to delete it :p. but i hope its not related.

#2 ·
help!!! when i am accelerating i build up to 10-12 psi and then it just trails off between 8-10 and wont build up past that no matter what i do. which is killing my acceleration. is my wastgate stuck open? how do i check it? this sucks being able to basically only quickly accelerate to 40 then crawl from there. the only DTC code i have thrown is one that said " DPF not performing effeciently" which i think means i need to delete it :p. but i hope its not related.
You don't have a wastegate. And yes it sounds like your dpf is plugged. Don't drive it til you remove or replace it.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

#3 ·
if that is the case. And with out all the buy a sct or h&s. I am in dire need of someone who can provide a delete tune in a insight pro

Sent from my 2PYB2 using Tapatalk

#5 ·
Yes. Exhaust drives the turbos, a plugged dpf restricts exhaust flow. =low boost

#6 ·
That makes sense. Any other ways to confirm plugged dpf. I'm going into regen about once a week, have driven 800 miles since I owned it

#7 ·
Pull the exhaust off and visually check it.

#8 ·
i just got home with the truck for the day, drove a bit more carefully. i also hear a deep woo sound along with the turbo woosh when accelerating.

#9 ·
#11 ·
none. the only code that has popped up was " diesel particulate filter not running efficiently". i disconnected the DPF and still couldnt build boost.

#13 ·
Have you inspected for boost and exhaust leaks?
Have you checked ebp, map, baro rationality with key on engine off? They should all be within 1psi of each other

#18 ·
None. I did have the edge economy tune on it. But took it off when this started happening

#24 ·
What's g/sec? And I will add them and monitor during the drive to work in the morning

#25 ·
Just watched the video. Could be the turbo. Maf readings may give us more insight.
If maf is low at wot, I'd pull the air cleaner duct and have a look at the compressor wheel. If feels ok, pull the intake horseshoe to gain access to the high pressure turbo compressor and check that one.
Unfortunately, it's usually the high pressure turbo that goes.
Either that, or you have a bad exhaust leak. They can sound like that too

Reactions: seahawksax
#27 ·
Might not be a good idea to drive it like that tho. Not if the turbo is coming apart. Have you inspected for exhaust leaks?

#30 · (Edited)
45g/sec? Engine warm?
I usually see about 30. It's not really idle that you wanna see. You wanna see how much air you're pulling driving. Like I said tho, I worry about causing damage if that turbo is coming apart. Pieces could end up in the engine.
I think I would inspect that first just to be on the safe side. It's gonna involve pulling the intake horseshoe off, but an ounce of prevention is worth more than a pound of cure

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.