EGR Cycle - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-05-2009, 06:03 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
EGR Cycle

Hey all I was just wondering about the EGR system on the 6.4. This Is my first diesel sorry if its a new guy question. My EGR isnt cycling that much at idle anymore and Im not sure if there is a problem with it. I am running spartan tuning. The other night I had it on the 250 tune and drove a little heavy footed but nothing crazy. Last night I went to put the truck into a much lesser tune of the 75 tune. Everything works fine and the truck runs its just the egr barely cycles anymore. Only thing I am going by though is the exhaust sound. I used to be able to hear the sound everyone asks about where it sounds like a jet taking off then quieting down. Now the tone just stays the same you dont hear it cycling anymore. Did I do any damage the other night with the 250 tune on or does the egr sometimes not always cycle everytime the truck is idling? I know guys on here run the 275 as a daily driver tune with no issues. Sorry for the newbness but any help is appreciated.

Jay
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-05-2009, 02:00 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I put EGR_PCT% as one of my gauges to watch on the dashdaq and it sits at 0.0 90 % of the time. Once in a while under throttle it will go up other times on throttle it stays at 0.0. Also If the truck is around 160 degrees it will cycle from 0.0 to about 28.8% at idle but once i drive or the truck warms up further it stops reading anything again. Is the EGR sticking at times? Truck only has 2,000 miles on it. Also there is no MIL so I cant go to the dealer and say my dashdaq says my EGR is sticking..so is there anyway I can clean it or repair it?
Old 12-06-2009, 12:10 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

I read something about it only cycling when at idle with the spartan, and then is disabled under throttle. I don't have a dashdaq and only trying to repeat what I believe was written in another thread. Can't wait to get mine before christmas and figure it out on my own.
Old 12-06-2009, 03:17 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Yes the 210 and up tunes only cycle the EGR at idle and disable it under throttle. However, the tunes lower than 210 all operate the EGR like factory I believe. And at idle, mine isnt operating sometimes. Just trying to figure out if its normal or not.
Old 12-07-2009, 03:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSMtC05 View Post
Yes the 210 and up tunes only cycle the EGR at idle and disable it under throttle. However, the tunes lower than 210 all operate the EGR like factory I believe. And at idle, mine isnt operating sometimes. Just trying to figure out if its normal or not.
When is the last time the dealer did any flashes on it? Mine does the same now, too. Never cycles anymore. I had the intercooler TSB done, and the FS0L30 flash within a few weeks of one another. After those two, it never cycles, but it's hard to tell which may have caused it. I also run SCT stock tune / regen delete (trans-only w/ stock shifts, dpf-off), and had to update the device to work with the newest Ford flash. I guess it's possible that it's the SCT tune, but if all I did was disable regen, I doubt it.
Old 01-03-2010, 03:10 PM

mine is doing the same thing. It cycled during the entire drive last week. Cranked it up this week drove about 20 min and it never came on the entire trip. Only running the 40hp tune so it should be working.
Old 01-03-2010, 09:21 PM

I know this is a dumb question, but how do you know when your EGR is cycling?
Old 01-04-2010, 10:59 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

You will here the tone of the exhaust change when the truck is at idle.
Mike
Old 01-04-2010, 03:24 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Still acting exactly the same my EGR. 1500 miles later still no check engine lights but still no cycling at idle. I guess Ill wait for a light to come on then back to stock and bac to ford.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.